Helping Marty Kasteler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helping Marty Kasteler

I don't know if anyone else heard about this, and It's not Defcon related material, but I just read this and it tore me up. I know a lot of you out there are cyclists, are in the SLC area or maybe you would be interested in helping too. I came upon it on http://www.hektik.org/ and Marty appears to be friends with some of those in the SLC area I consider friends. I don't know this guy but my heart goes out and I thought it worth passing on the info and maybe it could do some good. Once again, I know this isnt usual Defcon post material, but I'm taking a gamble, saying f*ck it and maybe it will help. I won't take offense if someone thinks its solicitation and devs nulls it, just kinda hope you dont.

http://www.helpmarty.com/

Taken from what happened page:
    " Around 2:00 a.m. on Sunday, June 17, 2007, Marty Kasteler and his wife Nicki Kasteler were heading home on their bicycles from a friends house. While riding home a delivery van started to run them off the road. Marty slapped on the side of the delivery van to alert the driver that there were cyclists on the street. Instead of yielding, the delivery truck driver turned around and deliberately ran Marty down. The van jumped the curb at a church parking lot, went over the sidewalk and through a guard rail. The driver then fled, leaving Marty for dead. Fortunately his wife was with him and able to call for help, at which point he was rushed to the emergency room in critical condition."

There is a special place in hell for that driver...
    "Haters, gonna hate"

Re: Helping Marty Kasteler

Originally posted by Nikita View Post
    I don't know if anyone else heard about this, and It's not Defcon related material, but I just read this and it tore me up. ...
    Once again, I know this isnt usual Defcon post material, but I'm taking a gamble, saying f*ck it and maybe it will help. I won't take offense if someone thinks its solicitation and devs nulls it, just kinda hope you dont.
    Any other mod can override my statement here, but here goes:

This is a solicitation for aid, and something I might classify as spam. However, you mention this person could be friends with people in the community, so maybe it is not spam at all.

Ok then. I'll give this 48 hours. If this is indeed a community discussion item, and you have people on these forums posting about this, then it really should stay here. All it will take will be discussion about this topic form people in the community.

If after 48 hours, there is no discussion about this, and follow-up from people in the community, I'll move it to /dev/random.

Sounds fair, no? If it is a community topic, then people will talk about it, making it totally on-topic by fact of being a community topic: de facto on-topic. :-)

Good luck. Sorry to hear about this.

Comment

a friend of hektik is a friend of ours. i am generally bastardly anti-bicyclist-nazi (with lots of bicyclist friends) .. because of the criticalmass-asshattery that throws road law and common sense out the door for millitant social troddery ... but this is way beyond sane grumble.
      if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Originally posted by converge View Post
        a friend of hektik is a friend of ours. i am generally bastardly anti-bicyclist-nazi (with lots of bicyclist friends) .. because of the criticalmass-asshattery that throws road law and common sense out the door for millitant social troddery ... but this is way beyond sane grumble.

xor

Yeah I know, terrible.
        Last edited by xor; September 12, 2007, 21:48.
        Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Working...
        X