Cable Modem Network Tap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable Modem Network Tap

The earlier questions peeked my interest because no one mentions a network tap(not talking about a cable splitter) which could be covertly installed on the cable line.

From a electronics block diagram you would need a tuner to tune to the channel that the data is being sent on. This would be an inline device. Then connected to the tuners output you would need a demodulator which would go to the MAC. You would also need a modulator connected to the output of the tuner to send the signal back down the line. The output of the mac could be sent to a network card. However, the purpose of a network tap is anonymity so you would need some way to insure that your device was not detected by the cable company, or degrade the targets signal, picture, or data.

http://www.datacomsystems.com to get an idea about what I'm talking about here. The difference being this attaches to the RG6 not the RJ45. I'm not an expert here just thinking out loud so I would appreciate comments back.

I'm sure this can be done.

xor
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Re: Cable Modem Network Tap

Then preferably some type of wireless access so you won't need to be close. Power, power is available everywhere outside you just need to know where to look. You can get least 45 volts dc off any phone line. A dc to dc converter would then step down the voltage to 5v or 12v and step up the current. You would have to find someway to filter out the 90 vac ringer current. If you added charger & batteries you could use the ringer and the phone line dc voltage to keep them charged.

xor

Or just tap off any power line. The power company isn't going to miss a few 1000 ma. They must have 10 times that in leakage current from underground lines that have gotten wet.
    Last edited by xor; September 15, 2007, 19:33.
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Working...
    X