Microsoft Up To It's Old Tricks Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Up To It's Old Tricks Again

Covert AU whether you like it or not; very dangerous IMHO.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2185378,00.asp

xor

Dam blew the title I hate typos!!!!!
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Re: Microsoft Up To It's Old Tricks Again

Originally posted by xor View Post
    Covert AU whether you like it or not; very dangerous IMHO.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2185378,00.asp

xor

Dam blew the title I hate typos!!!!!
    Yea, I think most of us read that on Digg or Slashdot... Almost two weeks ago.

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/09/15/2040259
    And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
      Yea, I think most of us read that on Digg or Slashdot... Almost two weeks ago.

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/09/15/2040259
      Maybe you should have posted something about it and shared your knowledge with everyone here. Not everyone reads Slashdot, not everyone has time to read everything published on the net. I try and filter and disseminate what I think is important to any given group and then share the knowledge and not keep it to myself. Why come to the forums if you aren't going to offer your opinion, try and get to know people, are you just going to lurk all the time and just react to people. I piss a lot of people off because I'm opinionated it's who I'm. I'm not afraid to put it out there. But it's always in good natured and never mean.

Have you even started a thread here; ahh yeah one. I don't know what you do at the other DC groups but a quick search revels absolutely nothing in the way of trying to share and disseminate knowledge. It's more like you "just enjoy talking out your ass" and getting on people.

xor
      Last edited by xor; September 26, 2007, 06:45.
      Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Following TheCotMan's lead, these posts have been copied to the Freedom to Play with Flamethrowers thread in /dev/random.
        Thorn
        "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
          Following TheCotMan's lead, these posts have been copied to the Freedom to Play with Flamethrowers thread in /dev/random.
          Yeah, someone asked me why they get an error about not having access to read the threads moved to /dev/random...

"/dev/random" is "The Social Forum"
          We made this space a non-public, user-joinable space so that users can choose if they really want to see such open content.

Accounts made within the past year automatically are "joined" to "All Social" while older accounts are not.

Still want to see it?
          Visit UserCP
          On the left side, scroll down until you see Group Memberships and select that.
          Now, find the "All_Social" (Should be at the top if you are not a member) and select the radio button "join"
          Now scroll to the bottom and submit.
          Now reload the main page and you should now see "/dev/random the Social Forum" --

Notice the rules posted in this space are much more relaxed.
          Instead of having mods "patrol" it, why not let users flame each other to enforce content restrictions not defined in the rules for that space?

IIRC, the only rules we have there that are enforced by mods are:
          No spam
          Nothing Illegal
          No P&R

and a statement that violations can still be /dev/null-ed or put in Fucktard Hall.

If you ever want to leave, do the same thing as joining, but scroll down to the very bottom of the Group Membership list, and choose the radio button next to "All_Social" for leave the group.

Joining or leaving alters the lists of "New Posts" if you choose the New Posts link in the nav-bar.
          This also causes /dev/random to be included in the searchable forums list when searching forums for posts.

Don't like that content? Leave that group.
          Want that content? Join that group.

Give power to the users? (MCP has gone crazy.)

Tech support questions can be asked there, people can flame each other, post links about off-topic items, though self-promotion would probably be considered spam.

(Oddly enough, this idea came from ideas provided by several forum users when we asked everyone what we could to to make the forums better. HighWiz suggested the addition of a SandBox for new users to post before joining the rest of the forums. This is kind of like a sandbox, as users can post new threads here earlier than any other space, but the user joinable option really made it workable, so as to not burden users disinterested in such content with "new posts" showing up when content is posted there.
          Last edited by TheCotMan; September 26, 2007, 08:42.

Comment

Working...
          X