Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling Terabyte Project's latest developments

Hey all,

So i had an extra day before coming home from Norway here and, being unable to translate the phrase "taxi driver, take me to the city's lowest house of ill repute" i instead used this free time to make a proper web site for the TTB project.

While it's still not being hosted anywhere other than my little cable modem, that will hopefully change soon. The domain travelingterabyte.org forwards through to the present location and the email address of deviant@travelingterabyte.org forwards along to me, as well.

I'd really love people's comments on this. Tell me if it looks good or bad, tell me about any spelling mistake and typos i missed, etc. Of particular concern to me is whether there's too much mention of me on the site. I dropped in a small segment in the FAQ about who i am primarily as a place for press to get info that they so often request so that i don't have to field the same questions over and over. I really do not like to ever come across as immodest (i still don't always get it when people whom i've not met know who i am at cons) and want to avoid the Marc Tobias effect at all costs. (i'm not trying to be critical of him, btw... just mentioning that he's never at a loss for eloquent and wordy statements about how great he is and how important his work is to the world)

Thanks to everyone who has expressed support for this project and especially to anyone who's had a direct hand in it so far. I look forward to keeping this going and growing for quite a while. If any of you have friends or relatives who are deployed right now and who would enjoy a visit from a TTB let me know, we'll start working out routes.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: Traveling Terabyte Project's latest developments

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    Hey all,

So i had an extra day before coming home from Norway here and, being unable to translate the phrase "taxi driver, take me to the city's lowest house of ill repute" i instead used this free time to make a proper web site for the TTB project.

While it's still not being hosted anywhere other than my little cable modem, that will hopefully change soon. The domain travelingterabyte.org forwards through to the present location and the email address of deviant@travelingterabyte.org forwards along to me, as well.

I'd really love people's comments on this. Tell me if it looks good or bad, tell me about any spelling mistake and typos i missed, etc. Of particular concern to me is whether there's too much mention of me on the site. I dropped in a small segment in the FAQ about who i am primarily as a place for press to get info that they so often request so that i don't have to field the same questions over and over. I really do not like to ever come across as immodest (i still don't always get it when people whom i've not met know who i am at cons) and want to avoid the Marc Tobias effect at all costs. (i'm not trying to be critical of him, btw... just mentioning that he's never at a loss for eloquent and wordy statements about how great he is and how important his work is to the world)

Thanks to everyone who has expressed support for this project and especially to anyone who's had a direct hand in it so far. I look forward to keeping this going and growing for quite a while. If any of you have friends or relatives who are deployed right now and who would enjoy a visit from a TTB let me know, we'll start working out routes.
    Great start! Gotta love the color scheme. ;-)
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

I'm trying to find someone on the Canadian forces in Afghanistan to take one. Makes no sense to keep it exclusive. If anyone knows someone in the CF, please let me know.
      Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Web site looks good, just don't ask me to proof read.

xor
        Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Looks like I will be gettting the TTB next hear in Kuwait. Good start on the site. I will be sure to get some good pictures of your baby here. Planning on a little FTP setup here to share this with everyone. You might want to the check out StormCase instead of Pelican for the iteration, same thing as Pelican cases but alot cheaper.

Comment

Pelican is more universal than Storm, sort of like having a Ford or a Chevy over a Rolls Royce or a DeLorean. Keep a worldwide standard.

The Marines here have really enjoyed the drive and the notariety they have received online as well. Google "Traveling terabyte" and the links are all over the place.

Comment

DO, You have e-mail at deviant@travelingterabyte.org

Let me know what you think.

Comment

Originally posted by brntaylo View Post
                You might want to the check out StormCase instead of Pelican for the iteration, same thing as Pelican cases but alot cheaper.
                Storm cases are cheaper for a reason, yes they are lighter, but also you can't let your C-130 loadmaster whip them around like the Samsonite Luggage gorilla because they will crack or break, Pelican cases are built to take the abuse of battlefield!
                Nonnumquam cupido magnas partes Interretis vincendi me corripit

Comment

So it's been a little while since i posted any news about the TTBs but since there have been some developments and since folk here have always seemed to enjoy news of the project, here goes...

1. the Tan TTB is with ASTCell and making its way to the Marines in Tajikistan

2. the green TTB is in the care of the soldiers of the 3/187 of the 101st Airborne in Iraq

3. there was talk of a new TTB or two being developed by interested parties, but i think that stalled. one notion that had the most promise was Vegas 2.0 contributing the resources for a black "super TTB" case that would house two terabyte drives and thus mirror both content volumes. Wicked, we'll see what happens there. i was also contacted by an international aid worker who was interested in a TTB case (i thought about making one in a non-marshal shade like Orange) to be shipped to doctors and humanitarian workers in far-flung places. No word on what happened there, however.

After these cases finish their latest stops, i'd like to have a few destinations setup where they can head next. Please either PM me or shoot an email to deviant@travelingterabyte.org so we can coordinate additional destinations.

Thank you to all who have supported this project.
                  "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                  - Trent Reznor

Comment

Mirrored TB sounds awesome. I've actually been reading a lot on external enclosures recently hoping to set up a NAS. However, if you can sort out a parts list for the project, I can probably make a significant donation.
                    " 'Yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation' yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation."
                    - Willard Orman Van Quine

Comment

Originally posted by moleprince View Post
                      Mirrored TB sounds awesome. I've actually been reading a lot on external enclosures recently hoping to set up a NAS. However, if you can sort out a parts list for the project, I can probably make a significant donation.
                      Moleprince:Deviant: both of you are my friends IRL, I can hook you guys up if you would like to chat real time.
                      ======================================
                      DJ Jackalope
                      dopest dj in the galaxy. *mwah!*

send in the drop bears!
                      ======================================

Comment

Working...
                      X