Knife afficionados, stand and be heard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knife afficionados, stand and be heard

So, most will by now have heard of my recent trip to ToorCon where one of my luggage boxes was rooted through. I've replaced a lot of what was stolen from my toolkit, but one other thing i lost was my knife. It's one of the last things i pack into a stowed piece of luggage at the airport (along with the pepper spray) and one of the first things i take out after a journey. So naturally, i've been feeling particularly aggravated the three or four times a day that i reach into my back pocket and realize there's nothing there. I'm getting pretty tired of having to wander off to rummage through drawers looking for scissors, etc. all the time... I'm going to get serious about a new purchase soon.

However, I figured i should shoot a quick post to the forums and ask people about their opinions regarding blades. I've been doing a lot of research myself lately. I have become a big fan of the offerings of the folks at Cold Steel, a manufacturer and vendor that a lot of folk in the community hold in high regard. (Their Recon series strikes me as a pretty nice folder-knife.)

Anyone have any particularly positive/negative experiences with these people? Would you care to recommend i look into entirely different styles or other vendors? Is there something i'm overlooking? Do you like ponies? I'm all ears.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: Knife afficionados, stand and be heard

I have one of these that has done well for me over the years.

http://www.knivesplus.com/case-knife-mako-ca-169.html

If there is one thing that anyone and eveyone on a ship knows is that a good knife is something that everyone should always have on them. You never know when one will come in handy.

While I still have the knife, TSA regulations as well as the size of the blade makes it impractical to carry with me all the time. I do miss, even after all the time that has passed since retirement, the feel of that knife hanging on my belt.
    DaKahuna

Comment

Originally posted by DaKahuna View Post
      TSA regulations as well as the size of the blade makes it impractical to carry with me all the time
      would it be too political to start a bitch session about TSA regulations relating to blades, etc?

maybe if we keep it just focused squarely on the tradeoffs between convenience, security, and the perception of being safe we'll be ok. what are the rules at the moment with regard to small tools? i know lighters were finally relaxed just at the end of last year's defcon. i have traveled a lot with my mini-leatherman, but i don't know if it's oversight on the TSA's part or if they allow small tools now.

personally, i wouldn't have any problem if passengers all were allowed to carry pocketknives like they can on the street. with the cockpit doors all reinforced now, there's not a lot a person with a mere blade can do, in my opinion. i think there's even less a nefarious person can do if most of the law-abiding people on the plane are armed... but that's just my opinion.

how many others here encounter knife law troubles on a daily basis or have to concern themselves with local regs concerning blade length, etc? i think that around my area people aren't supposed to have knives with blades over 4" or something. interestingly enough, i experienced not long ago just how fluid all sorts of laws are...

i was visiting the Liberty Bell and saw the new security that was apparently in place since i'd last been there (which is odd, since i try to make it there for a moment of reflection every couple years). not wanting to cause a scene, i openly acknowledged to the guards that i was carrying a knife (heh, i also had my holster on but did not have my pistol at the time... although my carry permit is valid in PA, it does not apply to national parks, i.e. the Bell grounds)

i was sort of semi-scolded for having the audacity to carry a knife around in public... but then the park police head honcho on the scene just told to keep it in my pocket and that i'd be fine.

what do you all think is the appropriate level of regulation for carrying a blade in public? what about on a plane?

and, of course, anyone who cares to comment about Cold Steel's products would still be welcomed.
      "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
      - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
        ...and, of course, anyone who cares to comment about Cold Steel's products would still be welcomed.
        Frankly, Cold Steel steals other knifemakers IP and fashions it into something cheaper, (sometimes pricer) and nothing I'd want to bet either yours or my life on. As far as good professional folders go, you could do no wrong looking into Emerson Knives. Most of Emerson's original clients and product testing comes from the Special Operations community, and Cold Steel's comes from mall ninjas.

I have a few of Emerson's production knives, and a few of his customs. My first was the Commander, and a wave Mini-CQC-7b for those parts of the U.S. (Like Chicago) that frowns on larger blades.

Depending on your application, I'm sure there is a knife there that will work for you.
        Nonnumquam cupido magnas partes Interretis vincendi me corripit

Comment

Originally posted by erehwon View Post
          wave Mini-CQC-7b for those parts of the U.S. (Like Chicago) that frowns on larger blades.
          i just ordered one now (with the black finish and serrations) and it is exactly what i was looking for. terrific that they even make it just under the length requirements to not run afoul of laws. heh, it's like my chopped-down lupara shotgun with the 18¼" barrels.
          - Trent Reznor

Comment

Leatherman Supertool 200 for life. Always have it with me; except on a plane and during sex. I use other tools for that :)

xor
            Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

No more Mr. Knife Guy :)

xor
              Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

I haven't gone through airport security with a knife in my luggage yet.

Knife transportation is one of the many reasons I've never flown to Defcon.
                45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
                45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
                [ redacted ]

Comment

Originally posted by bascule View Post
                  I haven't gone through airport security with a knife in my luggage yet.

Knife transportation is one of the many reasons I've never flown to Defcon.
                  If you're based in the U.S., there's two ways to approach this, if you own a handgun, you should consider flying with them, the TSA has a page of do's and don'ts. Likewise if carrying a handgun is too much hassle for you, you can also pack a flare gun as the TSA regulations are basically the same.

You must declare all firearms or flare gun to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
                  The firearm or flare gun must be unloaded.
                  The firearm or flare gun must be in a hard-sided container.
                  The container must be locked.
                  We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain present during screening to take the key back after the container is cleared. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can't contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft.

So when I've wanted to fly with my Emerson, intellectual property, uncut diamonds, and/or to insure that the TSA drone won't pad their three steps up from Burger King fry cook, one step down from mall ninja salary, I'd fly with my Beretta 92F in a W. Waller and Son gun safe, and after going through the steps above, place my gun safe in a lockable Pelican case, standing around to make sure the TSA locks it and watch it go on its merry way.

There's probably other ways to keep the TSA from pawing around your gear, but this has worked for me in the past.

Comment

At the moment I carry a HideAway Knife attached to my keys ... it's subtle enough to palm, and allows me to use my hands for other things while having knife in my hand. I highly recommend it. There are several different options, I have the hybrid blade, which does quick work on boxes, packing tape etc. I've traveled extensively with it packed with my toiletries in my (checked in) rucksack, so far no problems.

As for folders, I have my eyes set on a small Sebenza by Chris Reeve Knives, they seem to exactly what the doctor ordered.

Comment

Originally posted by theCount View Post
                      At the moment I carry a HideAway Knife attached to my keys ... it's subtle enough to palm, and allows me to use my hands for other things while having knife in my hand. I highly recommend it. There are several different options, I have the hybrid blade, which does quick work on boxes, packing tape etc. I've traveled extensively with it packed with my toiletries in my (checked in) rucksack, so far no problems.
                      Ooooh, FrontSight's HideAway rocks, I really wish I had ordered a hybrid titanium HideAway when I had the chance as I understand they've been having "some production issues".

Originally posted by theCount View Post
                      As for folders, I have my eyes set on a small Sebenza by Chris Reeve Knives, they seem to exactly what the doctor ordered.
                      I can kick myself for losing a Chris Reeve knife some years back.

Before you lay down the benjamins on the Sebenza, Take a peek at the Strider SNG Tanto!

Comment

Custom made Chris Reeve sebenza - (left handed)

I treasure it, treat it as badly as i do all my other toys and it still feels like new.
                        One Voter really can make a difference. Ask me how!

Comment

Working...
                        X