Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Hackers are People too!" The Movie

Excited about a hacker movie?! YES!

I don't know the people who are doing this movie, at least I don't think I do. (havent looked into it yet) But I just saw this trailer and I was excitedly interested. Having knowing 90% of the interviewed and people flashing on the screen I'm confident that they had good things to say. :-) Even our much loved Deviant.

Here is the site...

http://www.hackersarepeopletoo.com/index.html

and here is the youtube trailer for it too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3lrh...eature=related

Got anything to add to this thread please do, and If this was talked about and I missed the thread...sorry.
    "Haters, gonna hate"

Re: "Hackers are People too!" The Movie

Ashely Schwartau (Winn's daughter) filmed a lot of this at (surprise!) DC16.
    Thorn
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Main Site
      Originally posted by main site
      [We hope to have this film ready by the spring!]
      equinox computation page
      Originally posted by equinox computation page
      (The bounded range of time for Spring)
      March Equinox: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 05:48:14 GMT
      June Solstice: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 23:59:15 GMT
      So... some time between March 20, 2008 and Jun 20, 2008, unless "by Spring" means before the beginning of Spring, then some time between now and Thu, 20 Mar 2008 05:48:14 GMT.

I'll have to buy a copy. Looks like it could be entertaining. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post

I'll have to buy a copy. Looks like it could be entertaining. :-)
        I will have to buy a copy too. I love the short glimpse of Divide looking as though he was getting molested and the comment that hackers are at home mowing their lawns and doing laundry like everyone else, something to that effect. Of course I can't wait to hear what Dan "I'm drunker than I thought I was" Kaminsky has to say.

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
        Ashely Schwartau (Winn's daughter) filmed a lot of this at (surprise!) DC16.

Wow, I really need to get in touch with her, I'd like to be that ahead of the game.
        Just kidding, as I think you meant she filmed it at DC 15, but your overwhelming excitement for the upcoming DC16 allowed you to think of nothing else. :-)
        Last edited by Nikita; January 23, 2008, 15:38. Reason: Flinging some do.
        "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

Siviak you bugger, you just had to get a Canadian shot in there did'nt you!
          Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

With any luck our segment got cut out; that said I have to give props .. from the trailer alone it looks like its turning into quite the production and possibly one of the better documentaries I've seen thusfar.

I'm actually amazed at how many people I recognize, considering the number of them that generally avoid documentary-type folks. We've obviously been SE'd quite well, props.
            if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikita View Post
              Wow, I really need to get in touch with her, I'd like to be that ahead of the game.
              Just kidding, as I think you meant she filmed it at DC 15, but your overwhelming excitement for the upcoming DC16 allowed you to think of nothing else. :-)
              Yeah, it was a typo. The flux capacitor wasn't even charged!
              Thorn
              "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

IIRC, as per Ashley it isn't going to be full length. She is planning on the entire film being under 30 minutes. I don't recall if she said she was going to have a purchase price for it, or just make it available. My assumption, fwiw, is that she will have it on her site available for download.
                Of course its fully cooked... we had it set on "linen".

Comment

Just got this in an email from Ashley, and she asked me to post as her account isn't activated yet.

Originally posted by Ashley Schwartau
                  As soon as my account gets activated, I will be keeping people updated through the DC forums and letting updates happen by word of mouth.

First, I just want to thank everyone who helped out and who participated. This is a very overwhelming but exciting project that I am putting a lot of passion and work into and I want nothing more than to make it live up to everyone's expectations.

Also, to answer a few queries, when it's finished, I plan on submitting to festivals and spreading it online. But, at DC16 I would love to be able to screen it somewhere, and I hope to have dvd copies to sell. In a world where everything can be done via the web or where people can easily copy dvds, it might seem weird to sell dvd copies but the proceeds from those sales will go to The Hacker Foundation. And I was thinking of including 'bonus' footage on the dvd, what would you be interested in seeing?

Again, thanks for the interest and enthusiasm. You have no idea how stressful/exciting/fun/nervewracking this is- I want to do good by everyone in this community, making sure that Average Joe sees you the same way I've grown to see you all: as smart, funny, interesting people who are contributing to research and society and changing technology as we know it.

I have nothing but respect for this community - even when some drunk hacker hits on me lol you know who you are ;-) - and am so glad that I'm always welcomed warmly, and that no one threw tomatoes or computer chips at me when I embarked on this project.

Feel free to email contact me via the HAPT site!

Have a great week!
                  Of course its fully cooked... we had it set on "linen".

Comment

Originally posted by Salem View Post
                    Just got this in an email from Ashley, and she asked me to post as her account isn't activated yet.
                    Have her contact defconforums@gmail.com with her specifics, or check her account.

4 or 5 months ago, DT upgraded the firewall, and that broke access to the mail server, and the forums can't email anyone without access to a mail server. He has plans to build a new mail server so people can automatically activate their own accounts, but until then...

New users are greeted with content on the first page of creating their forum account, which basically says the above and asks the new users to send an email message to defconforums@gmail.com along with their registered email address and forum username. After we get that email, we reply with 2 simple questions that should be easy for humans to answer, but difficult for AI to answer (slowing down automated spammer bots) and this step helps to verify the email account they are using is valid. If we get a bounce, then the account is invalid. If we get no reply, then they probably don't use that email account they claimed during registration.

Update: received email 20 minutes ago, and replied. Waiting for answers and address confirmation.
                    Last edited by TheCotMan; January 24, 2008, 15:00.

Comment

ALOHA Everyone! This is Ashley Schwartau, and I am the one doing the documentary! And yay! My account is activated! Thanks, Salem for posting for me! :)

Comment

woot! I must say, from what little I've seen so far .. I've turned from skeptic to hopeful. Nice work.

Comment

This looks like some really good stuff, especially considering all the hoops I just had to go through to have my organization approve of my speaking at Shmoocon.

I will say, however, that it might not do much for justifying DC16 as serious business.

Can't wait to see the final product.
                          jur1st, esq.

Comment

good to see you on the forums. heh, as per our conversation earlier today... you can often double-check spelling of people's nicks by seeing their usernames here.

if there's a DVD i will pick up a copy... especially if there is bonus footage. as far as what that could be... i say just include as much additional interview material as you can fit. all the stuff that you thought was good (doubtful anyone here is enough of a film historian to be looking for B-roll, etc.) but couldn't fit in.

i think that your DVD will get much better treatment than, say, the haXXXor film... i don't think that it will be ripped and copied 1,000 times before lunch on friday.
                            "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                            - Trent Reznor

Comment

well.. for the most part 3-10 different asshats want to do a documentary about 'hackers' every year and none of them are well thought or planned, let alone backed by any segment of skill at actually making one. It is very refreshing to see decent documentaries .. such as Jason Scott's BBS Documentary.

Comment

Working...
                              X