RoboGames offers shooting competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RoboGames offers shooting competition

So RoboGames in SF is having a competition almost the exact same as defconbots, they contacted me and we worked it all out. I'm not running it, but the rules are the same. So if you want to do a competition in June to test out your bots, check them out!

http://robogames.net/rules/shooting-gallery.php

Kallahar
    --- The fuck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon?

Re: RoboGames offers shooting competition

Is the shooting gallery contest on for this year? I remember seeing it briefly last year.

I might talk to the locals and see if anyone is interested in coming up with something.

How many others have expressed interest? I'd like there to be a good clean fight to see who can do it best.

Comment

For RoboGames this is their first year, I plan on going!

For DefCon this is probably the last year for this type of contest, so hopefully RoboGames will keep it up in the future :)

I've also got some robot kits designed for anyone less hardware inclined: http://robotairsoft.com

Comment

Why would they discontinue this contest at DC? It's been pretty cool the last couple of years. Would they replace it with a different robot contest?

SD

Comment

Yikes!

I really like this contest!

Can you talk with the Robogames guys and see if they would be interested in having a competition at DEFCON if you stop the contest?
          PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

Comment

I agree, DT. I've been trying to come up with some ideas for a replacement for next year. I'd like to see something take this contest's place next year.

Originally posted by Dark Tangent View Post
            Yikes!

I really like this contest!

Can you talk with the Robogames guys and see if they would be interested in having a competition at DEFCON if you stop the contest?

Comment

Keep the bots alive!

LosT

Originally posted by russ View Post
              I agree, DT. I've been trying to come up with some ideas for a replacement for next year. I'd like to see something take this contest's place next year.

Comment

With the upturn in tele-operated bots for military use and other areas, I have a suggestion for a new robot related contest. Take it for what it's worth.

Start with a robot that can fire something innocuous like nerf rockets/darts. Make it network enabled and set two teams against each other. They both try to commandeer the robot's operation by hacking it over whatever method is available (wifi ?). Once they have control they have to shoot the other team's target to score points. Most points wins. The other team can still find another way to hack in and regain control as well.

If you wanted to take it up a notch have 2 or 3 of them in a ring with multiple teams.

I know this doesn't let other folks build robots and show off their abilities but it sounds like a fun contest. It also sounds damn complicated to implement but it's a thought to start with. What do you think?

SD

Comment

Oh I miswrote that then. I didn't mean the bots should go away, I meant it should evolve into a different type of contest rather than the same target shooting it's been for three years :)

The biggest trouble is figuring out a contest that's unique and fun, but not so hard that no one competes. The hardest thing the first couple of years was to get any interest!

Kallahar

Comment

Originally posted by kallahar View Post
                    Oh I miswrote that then. I didn't mean the bots should go away, I meant it should evolve into a different type of contest rather than the same target shooting it's been for three years :)

The biggest trouble is figuring out a contest that's unique and fun, but not so hard that no one competes. The hardest thing the first couple of years was to get any interest!

Kallahar
                    Check out the link I posted in "Defcon in the news", defcon bots made it in the top 10 geek sports list!
                    PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

Comment

ha ha, that's awesome!

Now we just need more competetitors :)

Comment

The kit is a good idea to get people started quickly.

I think a better way to get more competitors is to give the contest some more exposure at defcon. Last year we were pretty much off in a corner the whole time. Even while being in a crappy spot, it drew a lot of people in.

Also, every year people seem to get better. That will help too.

I'll be at DC16 with my bot, scraping as much press as possible to keep this even alive!

Comment

Working...
                        X