Defcon Twitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defcon Twitter

For those unfamiliar with Twitter it's kind of like a micro-blog that you send messages, limited to 140 characters, and answer the question...

"What are you doing?"

I think it might be nice to have a Defcon twitter account, though it looks like "defcon" as a username is taken, and have updates sent to it from the info booth during the con.

It might be a nice way to have messages sent to those that want content delivered to their phones so they don't miss out on something.

"About to unmask a reporter in Track 1, head over for shenanigans." or "Free t-shirts being thrown to the crowd in Track 2 in 5 minutes."

I don't know, stuff like that. I've been using twitter for about a year now and I like it, it helps me keep tabs on friends or events that might have slipped my mind. Check it out at http://twitter.com/ if you're curious.

Also I'm "Grifter801" on there, anyone else using it?
    .: Grifter :.

Re: Defcon Twitter

Good idea! We made one for Black Hat a week ago, and will make one for DEFCON this week.

Originally posted by Grifter View Post
    For those unfamiliar with Twitter it's kind of like a micro-blog that you send messages, limited to 140 characters, and answer the question...

"What are you doing?"

I think it might be nice to have a Defcon twitter account, though it looks like "defcon" as a username is taken, and have updates sent to it from the info booth during the con.

It might be a nice way to have messages sent to those that want content delivered to their phones so they don't miss out on something.

"About to unmask a reporter in Track 1, head over for shenanigans." or "Free t-shirts being thrown to the crowd in Track 2 in 5 minutes."

I don't know, stuff like that. I've been using twitter for about a year now and I like it, it helps me keep tabs on friends or events that might have slipped my mind. Check it out at http://twitter.com/ if you're curious.

Also I'm "Grifter801" on there, anyone else using it?
    PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

Comment

Cool beans. I hadn't seen the Black Hat one, though I'm now following.

Comment

Originally posted by Grifter View Post
        Cool beans. I hadn't seen the Black Hat one, though I'm now following.
        Well defcon and def_con is taken, but we have defcon16 set up now.
        PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

Comment

Did you register 17 and 18 also, or was that someone else?
          cows like candy

Comment

isn't this just the same as dodgeball?
            "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

its like dodgeball, but less useful and more annoying.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Originally posted by veruus View Post
                Did you register 17 and 18 also, or was that someone else?
                Yep, that was me.. I didn't get defcon19 because by then there will be something else to use!

Comment

Dodgeball is only available in 22 cities...in the world! Twitter is global. Tell dodgeball not to be so damn elitist and we'll use that.

Comment

Hey, works just fine in Vegas. Tons of us used it last year with great success

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

I'm set up on twitter...worked pretty well during Shmoocon. There seem to be a bunch of these services that will cross post to a bunch of these twitter clones which might be an option to take care of everyone.
                      jur1st, esq.

Comment

Originally posted by mfreeck View Post
                        I am wondering why we are splitting things between dodgeball and twitter?
                        I'm with mfreeck. We had a decently successful Dodgeball service last year, and I don't want to go through the hassle of setting up another account without a compelling reason. Especially is Twitter is going to be down all weekend...

That being said, my biggest problem with Dodgeball last year was the latency. Ten to fifteen minute delays (which wasn't uncommon during Defcon) were simply too great for the kinds of events people were trying to broadcast.

Comment

What'd be really nice with a Defcon Twitter account is if there were a screen up somewhere showing the latest tweets from all the attendees.

There's a lot of overlap between Twitter and Dodgeball, however I don't know of anything on Dodgeball that's like the Twitter timeline (i.e. an inbox of all the messages your account has received)
                          45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
                          45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
                          [ redacted ]

Comment

Sounds like the info booth might be a good place to have a spare projector and a twitter feed refresh running.

Comment

Originally posted by bascule View Post
                              What'd be really nice with a Defcon Twitter account is if there were a screen up somewhere showing the latest tweets from all the attendees.

There's a lot of overlap between Twitter and Dodgeball, however I don't know of anything on Dodgeball that's like the Twitter timeline (i.e. an inbox of all the messages your account has received)
                              Originally posted by Dark Tangent View Post
                              Sounds like the info booth might be a good place to have a spare projector and a twitter feed refresh running.
                              Sweet idea... I can imagine the page overflowing very quickly though.
                              cows like candy

Comment

Working...
                              X