Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shakacon in Honolulu CFP

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    Yes... following them to the batcave. If you're talking about following them down the aisle, heh... good lord, man.

Absolutely zero offense to the two sweetest kids that i know when i say this, but are you fucking nuts? Some people are just built for marriage... i certainly am not. And i'm fairly certain that none of the women in my life are really super-keen on it, either.

Perhaps a reading from the book of Stanhope...
    Having just passed an anniversary and well into our third decade as a married couple, I can tell you that marriage is an institution that requires commitment. But the same applies to an insane asylum. My wife would agree with both sides of that, too.

Marriage as a life-long thing works for some people, and not for others. It also works serially for some people. I know several of both genders who apparently like marriage for stretches of a year to a decade, and then find someone else. Rinse, repeat. It seems to suit them.

As for the government being involved, IMHO, it's none of their business. It's purely for P&R reasons that "marriage" exists in it's current state, and most of those reasons are historical. Without going into the whole P&R discussion though, we probably can't talk about it here for too much more.
    Last edited by Thorn; May 30, 2008, 08:43. Reason: Typo
    Thorn
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
      As for the government being involved, IMHO, it's none of their business. It's purely for P&R reasons that "marriage" exists in it's current state, and most of those reasons are historical. Without going into the whole P&R discussion though, we probably can't talk about it here for too much more.
      I agree with you wholeheartedly, sir. I am highly opposed to the idea of government having a say in who I am or am not kin to. If I wanted state-legislated pedigrees I'd re-incarnate as British royalty. ;)

I respect folks who do have committed marriages and make them work and thrive, but I have to say I'm with Deviant on this one, can't see it ever as a place for myself.
      " 'Yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation' yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation."
      - Willard Orman Van Quine

Comment

...resist...the...urge...
        "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Working...
        X