Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking Contestants! Win your share of 10K!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Contestants! Win your share of 10K!

The wait is over. Buzzword survivor is here. The rules are simple, the money is real.

Rules: You sit and listen to 36 hours of straight vendor pitches
    - No sleeping
    - Eat what you want
    - Bathroom breaks when you need them
    - Stand and stretch when you need to, but you have to stay focused on the presenter.
    Prize:
    - 10 contestants
    - Half the pot gets divided by all remaining contestants at the end.
    - Half the pot get divided 60, 30, 10 by 1st, 2nd, 3rd in test scores.

Prizes as of June 1, 2008 (assuming all 10 make it to the end). Pot could rise depending on number of sponsors.
    - 1st: $3500
    - 2nd: $1500
    - 3rd: $750
    - All others: $500

To become a contestant email: buzzwordsurvivor@gmail.com
    Last edited by numbertwo; June 8th, 2008, 12:40. Reason: Forgot critical info

Re: Seeking Contestants! Win your share of 10K!

So far I've had some interest but only one guy confirmed as a contestant. All he has to do is stay awake 36 hours and take home $10K.

Anyone have suggestions on where I can go to drum up interest? Only 200 people have read the post. 7000 people attend.

Comment

I'd be all over this if I didn't have the gf along. Getting her to sit through the regular talks will be hard enough, much less 36 straight hours of pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Wing View Post
        I'd be all over this if I didn't have the gf along. Getting her to sit through the regular talks will be hard enough, much less 36 straight hours of pain.
        He did say that you couldn't sleep during the talks, so I'm guessing anything else that you might need to do to stay awake would be fair game.
        A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
          He did say that you couldn't sleep during the talks, so I'm guessing anything else that you might need to do to stay awake would be fair game.
          heh, see my question about drug use in the other thread about this game.

i should note... i'm not advocating drug testing. why should the people in Buzzword Survivor be held to a different standard than the CTF teams were in years past.
          "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
          - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
            heh, see my question about drug use in the other thread about this game.

i should note... i'm not advocating drug testing. why should the people in Buzzword Survivor be held to a different standard than the CTF teams were in years past.
            No tweaking allowed for the simple reason that you can't do that at work when you have to sit through a boring vendor presentation and we want this to be as real world as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by numbertwo View Post
              No tweaking allowed for the simple reason that you can't do that at work when you have to sit through a boring vendor presentation and we want this to be as real world as possible.
              correct... in the corporate world they use powder, not ice. so that means that bumps and rails are legal, i suppose... just no bent spoons or broken light bulbs.
              "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
              - Trent Reznor

Comment

Can you be more specific as to what type of vendors are giving the pitches?

Comment

Originally posted by DCFluX View Post
                  Can you be more specific as to what type of vendors are giving the pitches?
                  Really boring ones, which means any one of them. Configuresoft is the anchor sponsor and we have interest from several others.

Comment

Any idea on the exact schedule? I'm giving a talk, but it's the first one after the opening on Friday, so I might be able to do this. That said, I have a few other schedule concerns, so I'm betting it's not going to work out for me (though I really really want it to), but more schedule information would be excellent, if you have it.
                    Last edited by Schuyler; July 11th, 2008, 17:58. Reason: Nevermind! Read it on the other forums, sadly won't be able to do it in the allotted schedule :(

Comment

Is Starbucks a drug?

Comment

I think I would do amazingly well in this, however I am a bit busy at Defcon ;)

I'll see if I can't scare more interest into your contest.

Maybe we could inject secret clues to Mystery Challenge into the presentations....

LosT

Comment

Lost,

Thanks for the thought. We have 8now and I'm going to start a waiting list when I hit 10. The addition of the Talk DVDs should make a big difference. It's a pretty big committment if you have to miss 36 hours of the con even with the money. These new things take time to build.

Comment

so is there any new of more sponsors for this compitition?

Comment

I think at the time I sent my email expressing interest there were 3 spots open. Have all 10 spots been filled?

Comment

Working...
                              X