Farewell To Windows XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farewell To Windows XP

Today July 1st, 2008 Microsoft Officially Discontinues Windows XP.

PLAYS TAPS

It's over Billy, it's over!!!!! :-)

xor
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Re: Farewell To Windows XP

Originally posted by xor View Post
    Today July 1st, 2008 Microsoft Officially Discontinues Windows XP.
    do you have a link or something? in my experience, MS has continued to always have one O/S out that is stable and one that is sort of perpetually beta, until a new even less stable O/S comes out and at that time they cease supporting the stable one and call the beta the "current" model.

there isn't even an SP2 out for Vista yet, is there?
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
      do you have a link or something? in my experience, MS has continued to always have one O/S out that is stable and one that is sort of perpetually beta, until a new even less stable O/S comes out and at that time they cease supporting the stable one and call the beta the "current" model.

there isn't even an SP2 out for Vista yet, is there?

M$'s general information:
      http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...xp/future.mspx

What's more important is the support information:

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecyc...6&y=12&C2=1173
      Last edited by jedi; July 1, 2008, 16:49. Reason: Adding an additional link.

Comment

MS has stopped selling the retail version in stores. XP is still available as an OEM version until at least 12-31-2008, and probably beyond.
        Thorn
        "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

I just got three new Dell machines in last week that I ordered with XP to be pre-installed. Not only did Dell fuck up their image, but they included a Vista installation CD.
          A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

wow, for $150 more Dell can ship your system with XP pre-installed and include a Vista DVD to install later in the future...you know...when people want to use it. how nice of them...
            "Really, it's hack or be hacked"

Comment

Originally posted by kil0hertz View Post
              wow, for $150 more Dell can ship your system with XP pre-installed and include a Vista DVD to install later in the future...you know...when people want to use it. how nice of them...
              Actually in my case, it didn't cost me anything extra. :0
              A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
                Actually in my case, it didn't cost me anything extra. :0
                Dell corporate accounts are cool aren't they.

It's over Billy, it's over!!!!! :-)

xor

I'm sure Bill doesn't really care. He's now officially the worlds richest retired guy.

Comment

Originally posted by barry99705 View Post
                  Dell corporate accounts are cool aren't they.

I'm sure Bill doesn't really care. He's now officially the worlds richest retired guy.
                  Well, right behind Thorn's secret wealth. After all, he's got all that spanish gold stashed away from El Dorado.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
                    Well, right behind Thorn's secret wealth. After all, he's got all that spanish gold stashed away from El Dorado.
                    I thought it was from his viking hoard from his days as a viking. Didn't Thorn discover America with Leif Erikson. :-)

xor
                    Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

I thought it was from his viking hoard from his days as a viking. Didn't Thorn discover America with Leif Erikson. :-)

xor
                      Actually it was with Leif's older brother, Branch Erikson.

Comment

Another battle for M$ Windows Vista :) , good bye to XP hello to Vista battle
                        Key fingerprint: 0ABB 9D57 E4FB 2B66 3E7F FC5D 8A83 09AA 6A88 9DEB

Comment

Originally posted by semprix View Post
                          Another battle for M$ Windows Vista :) , good bye to XP hello to Vista battle
                          Not so fast. This is a moment to rejoice! Windows 7 will replace Vista in Jan 2010 and by then XP will be fully patched and Vista will still be APOS. Just hang in there and perhaps Bill's new job with Melinda (Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation) will keep him far enough away from Win 7 that the development and release of OS 7 will finally be successful... Let us pray... Now aren't you glad you prayed?
                          Last edited by Greyhatter; July 5, 2008, 21:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyhatter View Post
                            Not so fast. This is a moment to rejoice! Windows 7 will replace Vista in Jan 2010 and by then XP will be fully patched and Vista will still be APOS. Just hang in there and perhaps Bill's new job with Melinda (Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation) will keep him far enough away from Win 7 that the development and release of OS 7 will finally be successful... Let us pray... Now aren't you glad you prayed?
                            We still have that Ballmer monkey to worry about.

Comment

So, Bill leaves as XP leaves...? Coincidence? Or abandoning the proverbial ship?

Comment

Working...
                              X