Hackers Are People Too - Update!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hackers Are People Too - Update!

Hey All! Just an update from the production front.

The producers (read: Winn and his wife) are watching the film tonight for final edits and quality check which means we go off to replication SOON!

I've had a few people look at an early screener copy and so far the feedback has been very positive.

"A great introduction to the hacking subculture for a general audience. Some inside jokes but still very accessible. If you saw it on TV you would NOT think home movie! And the lack of flashy graphics Discovery-style graphics actually adds to the credibility and that refreshing 'in the flesh' and 'warts and all' feel of the piece. Certainly a better overall quality of work than some stuff these networks have aired." - Stephen Cobb, CISSP

"This documentary is a succinct ambassador from the hacker culture; it snapshots their modern-day affair with technology, necessity to transcend established thought, and the discovery of family in unlikely places." - Cygnus, HackerPimps

"Enlighten yourself, and watch this movie. Then send your kids to join the industrious, interested, amazed, joyous, freeing crowd of investigative inventors in the Internet and elsewhere - the hackers!" - Fred Cohen, inventor of virus defense techniques

So that has all been pretty exciting! I can't wait to have you all see it at con!

REMEMBER: FRIDAY NIGHT!!!!!!! I still don't know what time, but hope to find that out soon. Anyone have any ideas?

I'll be there in a fancy dress - it is my film premier after all ;-P - and ready to present to you the project that unexpectedly took a year of my life to make. I only hope you all like it as much as I do. :)

Check out the website mid-next week for full reviews and more updates!

The producer (ahem) wants to start heavily promoting it soon, so be on the lookout for more information! :)

Thank you all again for your continual support! This has been very exciting and I can't wait for con!

Re: Hackers Are People Too - Update!

Originally posted by CinematicGold View Post
    I've had a few people look at an early screener copy
    you say this... and yet, it's not out on any torrent sites yet, so i am doubtful of your claim.

i can't wait to see this, as well, and am glad it's on Friday night. my only request would be... how early do you think it can be? will this be the lead-off hitter for the movie night? It seems like every DEFCON the forces conspire to make me miss Regenerator's set at the Ball. They're on at 10:00 PM this year... if the movie starts earlier, then we're golden. (I mean, hell... i'll totally skip out on the DJ action in order to see your film... but it would be great if it was early enough for people to see it and then still get plenty of time at the Ball or the HackerPimps party the rest of the evening.)
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Well, Jeff told me it would be the first of the night so that the producer (Winn) and I could make it to Hacker Jeopardy which usually starts at 10.

I'm kinda hoping its at 8 so the official release would be 08.08.08@8. haha how awesome would that be?

And as the movie is only 45 minutes, you should be able to make it to the B&W ball!

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
        how early do you think it can be? will this be the lead-off hitter for the movie night?

I just looked on the schedule.

"Hackers Are People Too" will be showing at 7 pm!

Tell your friends! :)

Comment

I just realized it was put on the schedule a little too early (don't use the military time much). It is supposed to start at 9pm, which I will change on the schedule soon. I apologize for the confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by neil View Post
            I just realized it was put on the schedule a little too early (don't use the military time much). It is supposed to start at 9pm, which I will change on the schedule soon. I apologize for the confusion.
            OHHHHHH ok. Either way, its fine. That should still give people time to get to places by 10 since its under an hour.

So 9 pm? For sure? I want to make small fliers to hand out at con with the time and place on them.

Thanks for the clear up! :)

Comment

9pm is good, that means we can eat and then show up for peanut gallery chaos and lots of fun! I can't wait!
              ======================================
              DJ Jackalope
              dopest dj in the galaxy. *mwah!*

send in the drop bears!
              ======================================

Comment

9pm is also good for those interested in the Forum Meet, as it makes a great destination to transition to.
                if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Hapt website updated + reviews

Hey all!

I updated the website with some of the reviews/feedback I've gotten so far from the screeners I sent out.

And I've been blogged: http://cobbonae.blogspot.com/2008/07...l-new-doc.html

Pretty cool. :)

Comment

I am looking forward to watching it.

Comment

hey everyone! if you use facebook (and I'm not exactly sure if many people in this community use facebook or not BUT IF YOU DO) join our Hackers Are People Too group! its open to any user on facebook. :) I'll be updating it as we do the festival run and obviously from Con - though I guess I won't be using the defcon networks lol......no wall of sheep for me.

Anyway, come be our friend on Facebook!!!! :)

See you all in less 2 weeks!

Comment

cant wait, perfect time

Comment

Hi all,

I have got the movie disc from the booth and it is awesome and objective. I am sure I will provide kinds of public awareness and education on "What hackers do and think?", trying to change their mindsets.

Thank you to the director, staff and interviewees. ;-)

Regards,
                          Anthony LAI, Hong Kong

Comment

Is there a link to a place to purchase(support your friends) the disc? I was unable to make it this year and would really like to see it.
                            We're not arrogant, you're just simple minded

Comment

Originally posted by Partison View Post
                              Is there a link to a place to purchase(support your friends) the disc? I was unable to make it this year and would really like to see it.
                              Yes, you can buy it from their website: http://www.hackersarepeopletoo.com/store.html
                              Don't sweat it -- it's not real life. It's only ones and zeroes. (Spaf)

Comment

Working...
                              X