No announcement yet.

Anyone Need Salvaged Electronic Parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Need Salvaged Electronic Parts?

I have a couple of big boxes of used electronic components and I wanted to know if they would be of use to the folks in the Hardware Village this year. I'm driving down so it shouldn't be a problem to lug them along if anyone wants me to bring them. All I ask is that if you accept them, that you take care of anything left over at the end if the con. I don't want to deal with getting rid of stuff when it's over.

There are some wires and mechanical components, but mainly there are circuit boards, salvaged from every electronic device I've owned in the last fifteen years which has kicked the bucket. I love to disassemble stuff but I haven't been able to bring myself to throw them away yet because I know there are salvageable parts on them. There's mobos, parts from power supplies, cell phones, RC cars, vcr's, dvd players... you name it.

Sorry if this is a bit obtuse, I just don't really know if anyone salvages parts anymore. I know it used to be pretty common, but that was before the influx of super-cheap Chinese import parts.

Re: Anyone Need Salvaged Electronic Parts?

Originally posted by MBI View Post
    There's mobos, parts from power supplies, cell phones, RC cars, vcr's, dvd players... you name it.
    This sounds very attractive to myself however, I can not commit to being able to dispose of them properly. If someone were to step forward and volunteer to do that I think much fun could come from these boxes...
    afterburn

Comment

Originally posted by afterburn188 View Post
      This sounds very attractive to myself however, I can not commit to being able to dispose of them properly. If someone were to step forward and volunteer to do that I think much fun could come from these boxes...
      I am driving in as well so if its not too much I can dispose of the left overs.

Bombnav

Comment

LosTboy may want to take some of it back with him, but I don't know that for certain. Worst case scenario, you just find a dumpster.

Originally posted by bombnav View Post
        I am driving in as well so if its not too much I can dispose of the left overs.

Bombnav

Comment

I have a climate controlled storage unit in Las Vegas. I can store it there so you can use the stuff again next year and not play the "I wish I would have kept that" game at DC17! It can also be used as a lost and found box for next years hardware village if you really want to part with it.
          "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

That is awesome, thanks to everyone for your willingness to help.

Originally posted by hackajar View Post
            I have a climate controlled storage unit in Las Vegas. I can store it there so you can use the stuff again next year and not play the "I wish I would have kept that" game at DC17! It can also be used as a lost and found box for next years hardware village if you really want to part with it.
            I have a pile of additional broken electronics waiting to be disassembled, and with this offer in mind, I'm going to do my best to get to that pile so I have more to bring. It's excellent that anything that isn't used this year can now be saved until next year so it doesn't go to waste.

I also have old keyboards, mice, speakers, intact AT power supplies, older Pentium CPUs, old but functioning MOBOs (PI, PII and PIII), older types of RAM sticks, and various old PCI cards and PC cables of different sorts. If anyone wants that sort of stuff also, post what you want and I'll bring along whatever I have room for.

I'd love hardware hacking but I'm involved with NDE Magazine so I'll probably end up getting sucked into the Lockpicking Village for most of my time there. I'm arriving on the 7th so I'll drop off the stuff then to give people time to go through it and get organized.

Comment

Sounds like a perfect bin from which to pull bits for circuit bending, as described by *mumble*mumble* in another thread about his experience at HOPE.

I'm really looking forward to this, guys. I'm getting all excited. Russ, A and LosT, this effing rules. Thank you guys so much.

Comment

Ha! I hope it's half as cool as you're expecting. I don't want to be lynched at Defcon.

Originally posted by SmittyHalibut View Post
                Sounds like a perfect bin from which to pull bits for circuit bending, as described by *mumble*mumble* in another thread about his experience at HOPE.

I'm really looking forward to this, guys. I'm getting all excited. Russ, A and LosT, this effing rules. Thank you guys so much.

Comment

I doubt it. I'm expecting a room with a bunch of hardware nerds, a few soldering irons, maybe a scope or two ('cuz I plan to bring one), and a whole lotta learnin' goin' on. If you can manage that, I'll be happy. :)

Comment

Originally posted by SmittyHalibut View Post
                    I doubt it. I'm expecting a room with a bunch of hardware nerds, a few soldering irons, maybe a scope or two ('cuz I plan to bring one), and a whole lotta learnin' goin' on. If you can manage that, I'll be happy. :)
                    *mumble*mumble* ? I HOPE that wasn't a DC faux paus on my part to bring up another con. ;-)

I agree with Smitty. The hardware stuff has always been more fun even if I don't get to do it that often. Should be a blast.

SD

Comment

No, the *mumble*mumble* was that I couldn't remember who it was that was bringing the junk^Wspare parts bin. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by SmittyHalibut
                        I think you will be quite pleased then.

Comment

Working...
                        X