Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<layed off June 2001>
    <still not found a perm position>
    I'm with 'ya there. Laid off in August, been contracting ever since. Found a perm job, but nine days later I was laid off because of "company restructuring". Nice, huh?

Anyway, I look at the certs as basically being the "ribbon" to wrap around my resume. I'm honest about my abilities, and if anything, too "unsure" of them. I'll openly admit I don't know something, but I also know that I have a passion to learn and can do so quickly.

I earned my a couple of certs that cost over a grand combined (testing and self study only)on my own dollar, but I'll be the first to admit that my skills don't hold up to my opinion of what those certs once meant. At the moment, I think my eight year old son's skills blow away the average MCSE though!
    ;)

Kai

Comment

Originally posted by Kai
      I'll openly admit I don't know something, but I also know that I have a passion to learn and can do so quickly.
      I hear ya there... I'm starting to wonder if I should just inflate myself at hiring time and adjust accordingly. Even if I land the job, people have such low expectation of me that I can't break the bored barrier into the land of, o shit, I gotta get this working well.
      if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

interview acting

Yea, hype yourself up during the interview, but know your stuff. One question I used to ask was "What one improvement can you make to a desktop PC that will increase its performance for the lowest possible price?"

Of course the best answer is "double the RAM". Holy cow I swear I'll hire the next guy on the spot who knows that answer, and give him a bonus if he knows what RAM means.

Answers I've heard: Expand the motherboard, add a zip drive, get a bigger monitor, move it to a cooler spot on the desk, etc....

Comment

ouch... other than doing something harmful to the user... heheh

you/your company wouldn't happen to be in need of a tech at the moment would you? I'm starting to scout out job possibilities for a move out of this forsaken state (maine).. will do anything jobwise to get in at a livable wage, the main factor seeking opportunities to move up and into the above-mentioned arena
          if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

hahahaha

reinforced a$$ mufflers?

I didn't know they made those for PCs!

:D

Kai

Comment

They make everything for PCs. Gotta love SCSI chains.

Liveable wage? Hmmm,that's debateable, do you know anyone who ever filled out an SF-71 and made a livable wage?

Comment

Working...
              X