Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ideas for next year?

Originally posted by bombnav View Post
    A final shout out ot all those that came into the HHV. You listened, worked, shared with everyone the thrill of HHV. There were no incidents that I was aware of, everyone was great and no fires!!!! Thanks to all for a blast!!
    "No incidents." Well, I do have a few more blisters on my fingers from the soldering iron...

;-)

Comment

Originally posted by SmittyHalibut View Post
      "No incidents." Well, I do have a few more blisters on my fingers from the soldering iron...

;-)
      Yea I saw a few of those. I wonder what the RIV thought about the burnt table cloths!!

Comment

Yea I saw a few of those. I wonder what the RIV thought about the burnt table cloths!!
        Anyone know if it was us who ended up setting off the fire alarm? I figure it wasn't but was just making sure. Maybe some fans for next year would be helpful, considering we're hoping to increase the number of stations?
        afterburn

Comment

Originally posted by afterburn188 View Post
          Did people enjoy the CVORG setup? Should we(/would anyone have us back) to do it again next year? How would you have liked it done differently? Was having the high end equipment there any good? I know a few people played with the equipment but it didn't seem to get much use. Maybe next year we should see if we can get some more low end equipment loaned that can be used out on the tables?
          There were definitely a lot of noobs, so the high end stuff probably was a bit over kill. That being said, I also think is was also an issue of a tool for the tools sake. I saw the scopes, but nothing really to read. I think with a number of the mini contests being talked about a present or two on how to use a scope and some sample circuits to poke, the equipment would be much more appreciated. Given the number of noobs, the lower end stuff is probably the way to go.

And thanks to everybody who ran the show up there. I stopped by a number of times to partake of the goodness, but wasn't around long enough to really help out. Hope to change that for next year.
          -------------------------------------
          Vaka vanha Väinämöinen
          käski nuoren, käski vanhan

Comment

I tried to talk my wife into doing a SMT demo for next year but she has not warmed up to that yet but I think we need some kind of SMT rework ability for the "Badge Repair" station that was being run by (Can't remember his name SD help me out) as he fixed several badges.
            BombNav
            I believe you're talking about Fork (at least I'm 99% sure that was his handle) and yeah, he personally soldered about 60 of the little USB connectors for folks. I think he has a medical condition that keeps him from saying No. In any case he totally rocks.

It would be righteous if your wife could do something next year given her background. If nothing else just tell her we all think HW chicks are hot. Seriously, women are almost always under-represented in the tech areas and I know I saw more than a few come through the HHV. Some totally had it down, others had never soldered before in their lives. Might be cool for them to see someone as successful as your wife in a HW field.

SD

Comment

We (Russ and I) are kicking around the idea of putting the EEE PC MODS into the HHV since...well...its hardwares mods as well as software mods too... (Assuming of course, something that is cooler than then EEE doesn't come out)...

I am planning on doing a contest for the EEE Mods next year. This year I just wanted to get ducks in a row and check out interest and get people to socialize since we have an extreme lack of that in the Riv with how the space is built, etc.

(double posted in the EEE Mods thread)
              ======================================
              DJ Jackalope
              dopest dj in the galaxy. *mwah!*

send in the drop bears!
              ======================================

Comment

Originally posted by sugardaddy View Post
                I believe you're talking about Fork (at least I'm 99% sure that was his handle) and yeah, he personally soldered about 60 of the little USB connectors for folks. I think he has a medical condition that keeps him from saying No. In any case he totally rocks.

It would be righteous if your wife could do something next year given her background. If nothing else just tell her we all think HW chicks are hot. Seriously, women are almost always under-represented in the tech areas and I know I saw more than a few come through the HHV. Some totally had it down, others had never soldered before in their lives. Might be cool for them to see someone as successful as your wife in a HW field.

SD
                Yea that was him.... He ruled the desk that day.... mega shout out to him. My wife told me to buy a toaster oven and go for the smt... seriously we to include Joe and a badge repair center into the HHV.

Comment

Originally posted by SmittyHalibut View Post
                  A, if you've got it, let me know what you want to do. If you don't mind mailing it back to me, that would probably end up being the cheapest but the most hassle. Otherwise, I take PayPal. ;-)
                  I didn't want to see a nice dmm get tossed out with the scorched table cloths (anyone who uses the drapery as a sponge next year will be strung off of the railing by their toenails as an example to others), and no one up there when we were cleaning up claimed it. PM me your mailing docs and I'll get it back your way.

While I'm here, just thought I'd echo all of the good ideas people have had for next year. More space, more cool people, more cool things to do. Now to figure out what is technically/financially feasible.

Oh and one more gripe. For the most part people were awesome up in the HHV, but there were a few people who need to keep the following in mind for next year:

The HHV is a volunteer space at a volunteer conference. Respect and don't bitch about the gear other people have lent to you to use; we will have more space next year, consider bringing some of your own and letting others use it. "Why isn't there a fucking scope I can use" will you get an invitation to find other things to do at Defcon.

If the room is packed consider limiting your time on the tables to something reasonable, especially if you are borrowing gear that others have provided. I'm hoping that additional space next year will help alleviate this. If not, we might have to have a bouncer working the door to keep the crowd manageable and limiting the time at the tables.

Overall the HHV was an awesome experience and a nice addition to Defcon. Thanks to everyone that contributed.

Comment

Originally posted by A View Post
                    "Why isn't there a fucking scope I can use" will you get an invitation to find other things to do at Defcon.
                    I had someone complain to me about a lack of multimeters. This one really kind of ticked me off, especially since there were ones you could borrow if you asked nicely...

Yeah and instead of complaining to the guys who were donating their time to make this thing happen, you could have waited and come over to the CVORG table when we had the scopes out...
                    afterburn

Comment

Working...
                    X