Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you LosT

For all the fun in your contest.

Thanks to all the other teams we enjoyed the competition, and we hope to do it again next year.

Re: Thank you LosT

The LosT @ Con Mystery Challenge is the highlight of Defcon every year. Thank you 1057 for tormenting us yet again this year, and we look forward to what you come up with in the future.
    perl -e 's==UBER?=+y[:-o]}(;->\n{q-yp-y+k}?print:??;-p#)'

Comment

I tried to attend a few talks after the whole thing was over and was just plain bored. Not that the subjects weren't good but after two days of racking my brains I just couldn't get into it.

Great job, LosT. You really went above and beyond integrating it into all of DefCon this year. Your effort and care really shone through. The SecurityCatalyst team had a great time and we'll definitely have a crew next year.
      Last edited by Cutaway; August 15th, 2008, 04:59.
      Go forth and do good things,
      Cutaway

Comment

...what they said. Thanks for all the effort you put into this. It was an absolutely blast, as always.

Comment

No, I need to thank you guys. I had a great time, and in spite of a few minor technical difficulties, you were all gracious contestants.

I really was considering taking a year off, that wasn't a joke. But it looks as if that won't happen any time soon ;)

Ryan

Comment

You might have to deal with some grumblings and light hearted joking if you do, but in all honesty, I really think most of us would totally understand. We, the contestants, are the few who actually see just how much work you put into this every year and can appreciate your need for, ya know, a break. It will be missed, but I would support your decision if you make it.

Comment

I flew halfway around the world for my first ever con and spent the entire time staring at puzzles and a giant yellow ball and cursing a sadistic bastard with blue hair! I think I saw half of one talk late on Sunday but to be honest it bored me after the fun of the previous days equivalent of having a fork jabbed into my brain, I wouldn't have changed a thing.

Man, that reads like a Dougie Howser diary entry.
              "Well, cyberterrorists may be difficult to capture in the act, but from what I know about people who are highly skilled with computers, they should be easy to beat up."
              Ernest Cey, Speechwriter

Comment

Lost, thanks again for another brain bending contest. I am proud to say even with all the problems we ran into it was fun, We will be attempting it again next year.
                We hope to surprise even you.

have fun.
                mage2atbleedingwounddotcom
                KeyID 3B535825D9402365
                FingerPrint C2AA E142 8826 BAE3 9C2B AA0C 3B53 5825 D940 2365

Comment

Thank you Lost! :) Your contest made my week!

(Can't help but notice I am the third person here with a post count of 1.)
                  WUVMVEtSUktQRlJOVE9CSENLRUFIUUtR

Comment

Originally posted by Ellen View Post
                    Thank you Lost! :) Your contest made my week!

(Can't help but notice I am the third person here with a post count of 1.)
                    Post count is meaningless.

A person could have a post count like mine and be a real jerk (like me), or have a small post count, and be smart enough to qualify for Lost's "Lost @ Con Mystery Challenge" and then be considerate enough to have their first post be a thank you to Lost for a contest. :-)

Back to topic:
                    If the discussion in chat, on these forums and elsewhere on the Internet is any indication of the fun people had in your contest, you must have once again created a great contest for people to play at Defcon.

I want to thank you for bringing to Defcon a contest that shows your love of puzzles, fun and perverted, twisted, but altruistic use of Mathematics, language and more: Thank you.

Requiring a multi-discipline skill-set, your contest encourages people to cooperate with others, and borrow skills and tools from people that have what they need. Like the Scavenger hunt, it encourages people to be social, and work together. Like CTF and aCTF, people get advantages toward winning as they find weaknesses, or holes to bypass restrictions, and grant them access to something new. Yet, your contest is totally unique, and a hit every year.

Who knew that winning a black badge at your first Defcon (IIRC) in a hardware hacking contest would encourage you to come back, year after year, until you had your own contest that is one of the most popular contests at Defcon. This is all your work. Your are ultimately responsible for making it the hit that it is. :-)

Your love and enjoyment in making these puzzles manifests itself in the kinds of comments that the contestants and observers provide during and after Defcon. It looks like some people may have signed up with the forums just to play in your contest or thank you for your contest. Based on what I have read here, in chat and elsewhere, you have once again done wonderful work in making a fun contest that is a great example of Defcon fun.

Thanks Lost. See you next year. As usual, I will be the guy that, "likes to watch."

Also, thanks to your wife (leaving name out on purpose) for putting up with you being "away" so much while you are working on this contest each year.

Heh-heh
                    -Cot
                    Last edited by TheCotMan; August 22nd, 2008, 22:09.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
                      Post count is meaningless.

A person could have a post count like mine and be a real jerk (like me), or have a small post count, and be smart enough to qualify for Lost's "Lost @ Con Mystery Challenge" and then be considerate enough to have their first post be a thank you to Lost for a contest. :-)
                      I think that was her point. ;-)

Comment

So, LosT. Everyone was badgering you after the awards ceremony, asking questions about the contest, how the rest of the teams did, wanting to talk more about the puzzles, what your plans are for next year, etc.etc. (and by "everyone," I mean "me.")

Your response was "Give me a week to recover, then we can talk."

You looked so burnt, I decided to give you two. (well, ok. 1.5) But consider this your official poke to open a dialog, if you're willing and able.

- I'm very curious to see final standings for all the teams, if you have those numbers available.

- Has anyone solved the "scary girl" cipher yet?

- You were talking about taking a break next year. While I would sorely miss the Mystery Challenge, I do respect your need for a vacation. Would it be an option to have a team of others run something in your stead, or maybe to do a large part of the leg work and let you direct the thing? Or should we just hold our damn horses and wait another year? (If things go well between now and next year, I might be running a contest of my own in the HHV, so I'm not even sure I'd be able to do Mystery Challenge next year if it does happen.)

- Has Chaos from Team Halibut sent you pictures of our notes yet? If not, I'll poke her to do so.

Comment

Smitty: I think the other post in this forum tells all with regards to the scary girl cipher.

I am still interested in the final standing as well!

Comment

Working...
                          X