Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chase Manhattan Bank... are you fucking kidding me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chase Manhattan Bank... are you fucking kidding me?

sadly, a lot of these issues come down to the fact that most consumers are pretty brainless and are "impressed" with new gadgets and gizmos... considerations of privacy and whatnot are sadly off the radar, at least initially.

hell, i thought this was a joke when i saw this image recently, but it's actually real...

Yes, according to this article (which is a tiny bit sensationalistic, but draws the right conclusions in my opinion concerning what path the technology could one day wander down) reports on mini cooper dealerships giving customers the option of an RFID key fob (which must have been active RF, given the ranges involved) that would trigger street-level events (like billboards shooting out personalized messages.)

the bulk of the public wouldn't understand it, the rest of the public would think it a neat novelty, and (sadly) the hacker world and some fringe survivalist lunatics are likely the only people whose initial reaction to crap like this is anything close to concern.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Re: Chase Manhattan Bank... are you fucking kidding me?

[QUOTE=Deviant Ollam;98960]sadly, a lot of these issues come down to the fact that most consumers are pretty brainless and are "impressed" with new gadgets and gizmos... considerations of privacy and whatnot are sadly off the radar, at least initially.

hell, i thought this was a joke when i saw this image recently, but it's actually real...

Yes, according to this article (which is a tiny bit sensationalistic, but draws the right conclusions in my opinion concerning what path the technology could one day wander down) reports on mini cooper dealerships giving customers the option of an RFID key fob (which must have been active RF, given the ranges involved) that would trigger street-level events (like billboards shooting out personalized messages.){/quote}

I concur. Even people in my own community choose to obtain relatively worthless trinkets in return for their personal information. Your coin now IS your personal information. Hold it close to the vest (or weskit, as a very wise halfling once stated). And the counter argument that one has nothing to hide is ill-advised in the extreme. Thank you DO.

Regards,

valkyrie

t

Comment

Working...
      X