Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hhv 2009!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hhv 2009!!

    Only 210 days to Defcon. I can't wait for the DC 17 HHV. Last year was my 3rd and fav defcon thanks to my time spent in the HHV. I loved how it became the place to be for Badge work/rework. So Happy New year and lets start the planning!

  • #2
    Re: Hhv 2009!!

    Originally posted by bombnav View Post
    Only 210 days to Defcon. I can't wait for the DC 17 HHV. Last year was my 3rd and fav defcon thanks to my time spent in the HHV. I loved how it became the place to be for Badge work/rework. So Happy New year and lets start the planning!
    LOL. Back @ya Bombnav. Last year was great but the fact that I'm already looking through the forums for info about DC17 HHV details just demonstrates my forward thinking (insert high boots here if it's getting too deep). ;-)

    I see the DC Bots contest has changed this year. It would be cool to get some integration with them, perhaps even just a demo of the equipment they build as a model for everyone else. I have plans to build many robots this year but time is a precious commodity and my job situation is in limbo due to the Nokia/Checkpoint buyout.

    On the flip side, I've found some really great projects on Instructables.com that are HW related and within reach of most mere mortals (experience and budget). There is one that uses a Wii nunchuck controller to control an Arduino based bot. With the right addition of equipment we could have two of these and let folks square off against one another in some sort of contest (soccer, sumo, etc). In the spirit of Shmoo's Hacker Arcade it would be cool to have multiple functions on the bot and require the players to select one profile for their bot. Each profile has the source code for different attachments or functions and would be downloaded to the uC prior to starting the game. If we wanted to focus on ease of play there probably wouldn't be much the player would have to do other than pushing a few buttons. If someone wanted to get more ambitious they could attempt to write their own code and try it out in the pit. Just a thought.

    Definitely looking forward to DC17. I've been lucky enough to have my trips covered by work the past few years but depending on what happens in the next 2 months I might have to start a DC fund and start saving up now. Either way I plan on being there and working the HHV again. Hope you and everyone else had a great holiday.

    SD

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Hhv 2009!!

      Originally posted by sugardaddy View Post
      LOL. Back @ya Bombnav. Last year was great but the fact that I'm already looking through the forums for info about DC17 HHV details just demonstrates my forward thinking (insert high boots here if it's getting too deep). ;-)

      ....

      Definitely looking forward to DC17. I've been lucky enough to have my trips covered by work the past few years but depending on what happens in the next 2 months I might have to start a DC fund and start saving up now. Either way I plan on being there and working the HHV again. Hope you and everyone else had a great holiday.
      Alright sounds like the old gang is getting back together I'm as excited as both of you and can't wait for another great year. Last year was pretty epic in participation levels and I don't know what we can expect from this coming year but hopefully it will only get better! I had a blast in the village and can't wait to spend DC17 there too!


      Now for the obligatory planning comments. CotMan was nice enough as to move the suggestions list from last year into this years forum. It would be nice if we could get the suggestions compiled into one list that we could address. If no one else does it I might make a wiki page somewhere that we can just list them. One thing already taken care of is space! Here's to double the space everyone :) Another thing that would be nice would be to formalize those talks a bit. Those ones that Smitty did sure was a blast. It would be nice to get more of those going. Maybe some more interaction activities would be great? We'll have to see what we can do. I'm excited, so let's get the ball going on this!

      Oh and if everything goes as planned there will be prizes again so maybe we can have some minicontests better than trivia? Hey I tried...and I thought it was pretty fun too. Wonder what people have been up to with those FPGAs? Anyone have some stories they'd like to share? I personally would love to hear.

      Okay enough ranting from me. Until next time...
      afterburn

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Hhv 2009!!

        Originally posted by afterburn188 View Post
        CotMan was nice enough as to move the suggestions list from last year into this years forum.
        I'm an enabler. ;-)

        If other old discussions should be moved or copied forward from closed, previous years, please let me know.

        Originally posted by afterburn188 View Post
        It would be nice if we could get the suggestions compiled into one list that we could address. If no one else does it I might make a wiki page somewhere that we can just list them.
        If you can get Lost, russ, or kingpin to provide a nod for this, I can add a link to your wiki to the HHV Forum description like many contests/events include "site" links.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Hhv 2009!!

          Who would have thought a conversation between Russ and i would have turned into this...

          Heck yeah!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Hhv 2009!!

            Originally posted by afterburn188 View Post
            If no one else does it I might make a wiki page somewhere that we can just list them.
            Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
            If you can get Lost, russ, or kingpin to provide a nod for this, I can add a link to your wiki to the HHV Forum description like many contests/events include "site" links.
            Originally posted by LosT View Post
            Who would have thought a conversation between Russ and i would have turned into this...

            Heck yeah!
            Sounds like approval to me!

            Post the URL and I'll add it to the forum description.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Hhv 2009!!

              Originally posted by LosT View Post
              Who would have thought a conversation between Russ and i would have turned into this...

              Heck yeah!
              It is probably best that you two didn't make it to ApacheCon this year or who knows what else we would have gotten ourselves into.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Hhv 2009!!

                Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
                Sounds like approval to me!

                Post the URL and I'll add it to the forum description.
                Something I'm quickly learning: volunteer and you will be called on it.

                Also ask and you shall receive: http://hhv.udarknet.com
                and more specifically: the ideas from the forum post as I suggested

                The wiki was a quick hash together so don't expect anything overly fancy. It has minimal ACLs such that you don't need to register to edit/contribute/etc. If you want to, you're more than welcome to. If this eventually gets moved else where that's fine with me.

                I've listed the ideas that we discussed earlier in the various threads so...let's get some comments and critiques going on about them. Only what? 8 more months to go?
                afterburn

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Hhv 2009!!

                  Originally posted by afterburn188 View Post
                  Something I'm quickly learning: volunteer and you will be called on it.

                  Also ask and you shall receive: http://hhv.udarknet.com
                  and more specifically: the ideas from the forum post as I suggested

                  The wiki was a quick hash together so don't expect anything overly fancy. It has minimal ACLs such that you don't need to register to edit/contribute/etc. If you want to, you're more than welcome to. If this eventually gets moved else where that's fine with me.

                  I've listed the ideas that we discussed earlier in the various threads so...let's get some comments and critiques going on about them. Only what? 8 more months to go?
                  Here is the description now:
                  Originally posted by description-hhv
                  Just as the name implies, this is a forum for discussion of the new Hardware Hacking Village. (Wiki: HHV plans)
                  Changes? Let me know.

                  Enjoy!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Hhv 2009!!

                    Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
                    Here is the description now:


                    Changes? Let me know.

                    Enjoy!
                    Wow service around here is great
                    Looks good to me
                    afterburn

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Hhv 2009!!

                      Posted to the wiki for the BlackBox idea that I am looking at. I am not sure there is enough interest for a contest, but maybe some educational modules. I am totally pumped about HHV this year. In fact this may be the only reason I go to DEFCon this year. Well that and the cool people there.
                      -------------------------------------
                      Vaka vanha Väinämöinen
                      käski nuoren, käski vanhan

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Hhv 2009!!

                        Parts kits were in high demand last year and sold out quickly. Can we make a parts list available before the Con so that folks can bring their own and still participate?
                        Don't sweat it -- it's not real life. It's only ones and zeroes. (Spaf)


                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Hhv 2009!!

                          Originally posted by Rover View Post
                          Parts kits were in high demand last year and sold out quickly. Can we make a parts list available before the Con so that folks can bring their own and still participate?
                          I understand that the kits sold out quickly and many missed out on them. I do not know however how the kits were required to participate in the village however. They might have been useful for the badge hacking but there were also a bunch of other parts available in the grab box up front.

                          I guess my question really is: why do you want the parts list to the kit? If you are worried that you won't get one at DefCon, why not build you own? Are you looking for a list of components/parts that would assist you in badge hacking/modding/building etc? I am trying to understand where you are coming from on this request.

                          Here's an idea that I just got off the request though. Maybe it would be useful to make a list of recommendations from people as to useful components or parts that can be purchased ahead of time? We could create a page on the wiki to do this. It could also have suggestions for places to buy said components without having to buy say 1000 units (digikey) or having to pay through the nose (radio shack). I think this is an interesting idea. Any thoughts? Sort of how to make your own home-brew hardware hacking kit...
                          afterburn

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Hhv 2009!!

                            Originally posted by afterburn188 View Post
                            Are you looking for a list of components/parts that would assist you in badge hacking/modding/building etc? I am trying to understand where you are coming from on this request.
                            Yes, that's where I was heading with my comments. For those of us that are relatively new to hardware hacking, it would be helpful to have an idea of what we should bring with us to make the most of our time in the HHV. Not necessarily a list of the components in the DEFCON parts kit, but more of a list of parts that would be useful for badge hacking or building a starter project. Your thought about a home-brew hardware hacking kit is right on.
                            Don't sweat it -- it's not real life. It's only ones and zeroes. (Spaf)


                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Hhv 2009!!

                              Originally posted by Rover View Post
                              Yes, that's where I was heading with my comments. For those of us that are relatively new to hardware hacking, it would be helpful to have an idea of what we should bring with us to make the most of our time in the HHV. Not necessarily a list of the components in the DEFCON parts kit, but more of a list of parts that would be useful for badge hacking or building a starter project. Your thought about a home-brew hardware hacking kit is right on.
                              Well even if this isn't HHV specific, it seems like a great idea to me. I created a page on the wiki from the link on the ideas page for people to start working on. I think this might be something cool just to have on hand. I too would also be interested in getting advice from some of the experts that hang around here as to grow my knowledge as well. Some people know the cheap, the expensive, analog (tube/transistor), digital, and etc so why not pool some of that knowledge? Just figure this is something that could be both fun and not hurt to do.
                              Last edited by afterburn188; January 28, 2009, 17:56. Reason: fixed link and spelling
                              afterburn

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X