Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the most memorable hacking you've done in the past 30 days?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What is the most memorable hacking you've done in the past 30 days?

    What is the most memorable hacking you've done in the past 30 days?

    If you've been around here long enough, you know what I am talking about. If not, then here is the definition I am using for hacking:

    oldPost:
    Originally posted by oldPost
    Hacker: Someone that knows something1 so well, that they can bend that thing to do something-else2 (of value3 and innovative4) that the original something1 was not originally designed to do.

    Hack: Evidence as a product of a hacker that demonstrates the definition, "hacker."

    Hacking: The active demonstration of a hack.

    something1: Skill, tool, system, etc.
    something-else2: New Solution, new purpose, new result
    value3: "Value" to someone. Proof-of-concept is of value. Education is of value. Somethign that can be sold (product or skill or work) is of value.
    innovative4: not previously demonstrated, known to have been demonstrated, or demonstrated by someone else.
    In this way, hacking can apply to many different disciplines outside the computer world.

    So, back to the question:
    What is the most memorable hacking you've done in the past 30 days?

    It doesn't need to be "31337" (elite) or great or even brilliant. Share your out-of-the box solution to a problem, even if it was trivial.

    Here is one from me:
    A simple PHP script that runs whenever an HTTP 404 is encountered, which sucks in selected URL Host, and path, and then generates HTML content to let the user know that we have moved the http content to https, and then manufacture the https link they would want. The hackish part? Put this php script in a DocumentRoot that has no other files, meaning it always is called for any request including a request for itself.

    Summary: Rely on an HTTP error, code for how to handle that error, then create a condition where that error always happens. Web server DocumentRoot are "supposed" to server files, but a DocumentRoot was made on purpose to not have any files. This was done to rely on an existing error, and then tap into handling of that error for redirection and information. I broke content service to take advantage of an error to report what I wanted.

    Is it innovative? Probably not, since other people have solved this problem with other techniques for a long time. Also, this was a rather trivial problem to solve and could have been solved with many other techniques, including a web-server redirector without using any php or application.

    Sure, this is a weak example of, "hacking," but I am not a hacker, and with a bar so low, you should be able to top my example. :-)

    Don't forget! It doesn't have to be related to computers. A hacked solution to any problem in any discipline would count:
    Law, language (like some jokes), engineering, science, math, art, etc.
    Last edited by TheCotMan; January 9, 2009, 13:16.

  • #2
    Re: What is the most memorable hacking you've done in the past 30 days?

    I'm trying to modify this analog synthesizer to use a linear position sensor to control pitch and contact pressure sensor to control velocity. I'm aiming for a guitar-like form factor and want to be able to play it in a manner reminiscent of slap bass.

    I just got the sensors today so this is something of a work in progress. We'll see how it turns out...
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
    [ redacted ]

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: What is the most memorable hacking you've done in the past 30 days?

      Originally posted by bascule View Post
      I'm trying to modify this analog synthesizer to use a linear position sensor to control pitch and contact pressure sensor to control velocity. I'm aiming for a guitar-like form factor and want to be able to play it in a manner reminiscent of slap bass.

      I just got the sensors today so this is something of a work in progress. We'll see how it turns out...
      That is pretty cool. What motivated you to do this?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: What is the most memorable hacking you've done in the past 30 days?

        Originally posted by bascule View Post
        I'm trying to modify this analog synthesizer to use a linear position sensor to control pitch and contact pressure sensor to control velocity. I'm aiming for a guitar-like form factor and want to be able to play it in a manner reminiscent of slap bass.

        I just got the sensors today so this is something of a work in progress. We'll see how it turns out...
        This is why I love Bascule, even though he IS a hippy. :-D

        Regards,

        valkyrie

        __________________________________________________ ____________
        sapere aude

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: What is the most memorable hacking you've done in the past 30 days?

          What is the most memorable hacking you've done in the past 30 days?

          If you've been around here long enough, you know what I am talking about. If not, then here is the definition I am using for hacking:
          I blasted Android on a TyTN. Why? Because I could, that's why

          Regards,

          valkyrie
          __________________________________________________ _________________________
          sapere aude

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: What is the most memorable hacking you've done in the past 30 days?

            In the spec'ing out stages of a UBNT Router Station project.

            http://www.ubnt.com/products/rs.php

            Also setting up a laptop with multiple VM's for fun and games.

            xor

            Ps. Systems integration and hacking go hand in hand IMHO. In spec, out of spec, spec spec spec, day-ta, day-ta, day.
            Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: What is the most memorable hacking you've done in the past 30 days?

              This probably falls more into the realm of a 'lame trick' or 'sound engineers Wing Tsun' than a hack (at least it's admissible!):

              New Years Eve saw me running a sound rig - smallish gig, couple of bands and then DJs into the small hours.

              Over the years I've found that as a rule, when it comes to DJs, talent is generally inversely proportional to ego... as the sky started to lighten, as if to prove the point a 'battle of wills' began to develop to the left of the mixing desk between one particularly talentless gimp (playing 80s kitsch on iTunes off his lappy, fer gawdsake) and the proprietor of the venue.

              We're already ~5 hours past the licence, I've stayed (relatively) sober for 12 hours and it's time to end the party, but gimp-boy is having none of it and I'm in no mood for a fight in which I'm only ever going to look like the 'bad guy' to the assorted dregs of munters still staggering round the dancefloor... so...

              While his backs turned as he's pleading his case to the beleaguered and unassertive licensee, my fingers stray... I'm feeling relatively merciful, so a mere few seconds of *tap-clickety-click-tap*, he turns back and I'm just standing there as if butter-wouldn't-melt.

              The biggest challenge for me then is to keep a straight face, watching his fruitless, fevered scratching at his touchpad, clicking frantically all over the inert fullscreen screengrabbed image, as the 'last tune' fades mercifully out...

              'Oh dear! Has it crashed? *Tsk*... That's Vista for you, mate...' I say with a shrug as I zero the desk, power down the amps and plot my course to the afterparty.

              Well, it had 'value' to me. A couple of free pints, infact.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: What is the most memorable hacking you've done in the past 30 days?

                Starting fire without matches or a lighter!
                "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: What is the most memorable hacking you've done in the past 30 days?

                  Originally posted by BackatchaBandit View Post
                  This probably falls more into the realm of a 'lame trick' or 'sound engineers Wing Tsun' than a hack (at least it's admissible!):

                  New Years Eve saw me running a sound rig - smallish gig, couple of bands and then DJs into the small hours.

                  Over the years I've found that as a rule, when it comes to DJs, talent is generally inversely proportional to ego... as the sky started to lighten, as if to prove the point a 'battle of wills' began to develop to the left of the mixing desk between one particularly talentless gimp (playing 80s kitsch on iTunes off his lappy, fer gawdsake) and the proprietor of the venue.

                  We're already ~5 hours past the licence, I've stayed (relatively) sober for 12 hours and it's time to end the party, but gimp-boy is having none of it and I'm in no mood for a fight in which I'm only ever going to look like the 'bad guy' to the assorted dregs of munters still staggering round the dancefloor... so...

                  While his backs turned as he's pleading his case to the beleaguered and unassertive licensee, my fingers stray... I'm feeling relatively merciful, so a mere few seconds of *tap-clickety-click-tap*, he turns back and I'm just standing there as if butter-wouldn't-melt.

                  The biggest challenge for me then is to keep a straight face, watching his fruitless, fevered scratching at his touchpad, clicking frantically all over the inert fullscreen screengrabbed image, as the 'last tune' fades mercifully out...

                  'Oh dear! Has it crashed? *Tsk*... That's Vista for you, mate...' I say with a shrug as I zero the desk, power down the amps and plot my course to the afterparty.

                  Well, it had 'value' to me. A couple of free pints, infact.
                  Must be nice. Most states in the U.S. the police are there at closing time making sure that the bar closes. If not they are in the parking lot or down the street doing pretty much the same.

                  xor
                  Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: What is the most memorable hacking you've done in the past 30 days?

                    I'm not sure if this would be considered a 'hack' per se, maybe more of a cobbling together of off the shelf parts to do something that isn't normally done.

                    I have surveillance cameras around my house, and I have the system configured that I can view all the cameras on one channel on every TV in the house. If you want to see the cameras, tune to channel 92, which happens to be a blank channel in my area.

                    To do it, I used a Leviton 3x8 distribution amplifier that has auxillary inputs. I used a low pass filter to remove the static that's provided by Comcast to prevent people from doing what I did, and I used a channel modulator that I can tune to any channel between 1 and 120.

                    The output of it goes into a DVR for playback on any TV as well. I have a schematic over on my website if anyone is interested.
                    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: What is the most memorable hacking you've done in the past 30 days?

                      Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
                      I'm not sure if this would be considered a 'hack' per se, maybe more of a cobbling together of off the shelf parts to do something that isn't normally done.

                      I have surveillance cameras around my house, and I have the system configured that I can view all the cameras on one channel on every TV in the house. If you want to see the cameras, tune to channel 92, which happens to be a blank channel in my area.

                      To do it, I used a Leviton 3x8 distribution amplifier that has auxillary inputs. I used a low pass filter to remove the static that's provided by Comcast to prevent people from doing what I did, and I used a channel modulator that I can tune to any channel between 1 and 120.

                      The output of it goes into a DVR for playback on any TV as well. I have a schematic over on my website if anyone is interested.
                      It's a hack. Congratulations! Yes, I want to see your schematic...

                      Regards,

                      Valkyrie
                      __________________________________________________ ___________
                      sapere aude

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: What is the most memorable hacking you've done in the past 30 days?

                        Mine has been rather simple and self-centered and involves setting up three alternative OS's on 8GB SD cards to run on my EPC1000HD. Ubunut, BT3 - with changes, and a third that I cannot mention :) So - where's the hack in that - out of the box the EPC did not work with BT3 - no network connectivity - had to find and install a kernel mode to support the Ehternet nic and somehow the WLAN in BIOS had gotten disabled and had to run that down.
                        DaKahuna
                        ___________________
                        Will Hack for Bandwidth

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: What is the most memorable hacking you've done in the past 30 days?

                          Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
                          That is pretty cool. What motivated you to do this?
                          I dunno, for awhile I've had a strange fascination with making something halfway between a theramin and a guitar
                          45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
                          45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
                          [ redacted ]

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: What is the most memorable hacking you've done in the past 30 days?

                            Originally posted by DaKahuna View Post
                            Mine has been rather simple and self-centered and involves setting up three alternative OS's on 8GB SD cards to run on my EPC1000HD. Ubunut, BT3 - with changes, and a third that I cannot mention :) So - where's the hack in that - out of the box the EPC did not work with BT3 - no network connectivity - had to find and install a kernel mode to support the Ehternet nic and somehow the WLAN in BIOS had gotten disabled and had to run that down.
                            That's exactly what I was working on over the weekend. I read in one guide saying that the WLAN that comes with the 1000H doesn't support packet injection though under BT3. Can you comment on that so far?

                            I honestly haven't been able to get it to boot off SD yet. Something's wrong with my LILO config that I haven't had time to chase down.
                            " 'Yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation' yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation."
                            - Willard Orman Van Quine

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: What is the most memorable hacking you've done in the past 30 days?

                              I use my Ironkey to go out port 8118 and never see the firewall. See you on gmail chat!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X