• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Geo Challenge" Announcement

The DC210 Group will be hosting a contest called the "Defcon Geo Challenge"
    (Geo Caching with Digital Spin)

What Is The Geo Challenge?
    Were taking Geo Caching to the next level. Geo Caching in Vegas, with RFID & Wi-Fi.
    Add the urban environment of the Vegas strip, RFID embedded items, puzzles and trivia
    that require tech knowledge, a website that contains a progressive stream of puzzles
    & you now have the makings of the Defcon Geo Challenge.

Objective
    Teams of 2 will receive puzzles and clues via the contest website. Each puzzle will require
    a particular skill or knowledge for completion. Once completed a correct answer will reveal
    the next step in locating the Geo Cache coordinates. GPS coordinates will lead contestants
    to locations on the Vegas Strip where caches have been placed. Many caches will be disguised
    or in digital form requiring detailed searching and further decoding. Scoring will be based on
    multiple criteria, but mainly on the number of puzzles solved.

Equipment Required
    Teams will be required to supply their own GPS device, Google Earth may suffice, but remember
    you will be looking for small objects that are made to blend into the surroundings, so accuracy
    is key. Teams are also required to have a portable computing device (PDA, Laptop, ect.) as
    answers can be submitted via the internet without returning to the contest area. Each team will
    be issued a RFID reader to assist in scanning of RFID embedded caches.

Prizes & Sponsors
    The First and Second place teams will receive a nice package of prizes. Many thanks to all
    the sponsors who offered discounts on gear and donation of prizes. The response was great,
    especially for a first year event.

For More Info
    Visit our booth or website.
    http://www.defcongeochallenge.com
    Syntax of DC210
    Last edited by [Syntax]; June 2, 2009, 01:31.

Re: "Geo Challenge" Announcement

Originally posted by thecotman
    sounds good. I'll start the process for this soon.
    doodle bugs!

Regards,

valkyrie

Comment

Originally posted by valkyrie View Post
      doodle bugs!

Regards,

valkyrie

Regards,

valkyrie

Comment

Because there will be a limited number of RFID scanners, & clue kits available to the teams, there will be a limit on the number of teams that can compete. Unless we decide to open the competition to additional teams who bring their own RFID readers.

Until we know how many people are interested in participating, and how many kits are going to be required, we aren't sure what the minimum number of people per team will be. I do know that teams will be limited to a max of 3 members.

Also the contest isn't fully designed yet and we are considering the idea of a points based challenge in addition to the puzzle track, which will require people to take time off from solving the puzzles and caches to locate another set of items. Which makes having multiple team members a real advantage. Since some can continue the puzzle track while others gather the bonus items.

Comment

We have secured some hardware for the event, (tags, scanners, ect) testing is in the works, puzzles are being created.

Comment

Can you give the specs on the RFID readers and tags? I might be able to bring my own, since I have a lot of RFID equipment already.
            Thorn
            "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

The contest will be using Low Frequency RFID Readers and Tags (125khz frequency)

Comment

Let me know if you guys need a hand...

Comment

I am interested and will have a team ready to go :]

Comment

At the moment, the supplier I have for RFID readers is selling me some enclosed readers that do keyboard emulation via USB. So no drivers are required on windows, and they should be easy to get working on Linux. Waiting for a few to come so I can test it all..

I'm still trying to get some help from Parallax. I had hoped to do some prototyping and design as part of the game, but it looks like I might be forced to go with a premade solution. Once the reader is finalized I'll put some info and pictures up on the contest website, which is under construction at the moment.

I'm also contacting vendors for promo items and donations to use as part of the prizes. So if anyone out there would like to donate some stuff, or works for a company that has promo items you think would make good prizes shoot a message my way.
                    There's going to be multiple tracks to this contest so I'm not just assembling prizes for the winning team, but prizes to be issued on the side tracks to individuals and teams. So any items large or small may be useful.
                    Last edited by [Syntax]; January 28, 2009, 23:25.

Comment

Talks are on again with Parallax, and they are offering a price a few dollars more than the enclosed readers I had found & was planning to use. The economy is just making everyone cut costs, and the reply Im getting from these companies is that donating hardware is one of the things they are cutting.
                      Just getting discounts is a challenge.

Comment

Syntax, let me know if you need assistance in talking with Parallax.

1o57

Comment

Alot of sponsors have been jumping on board. The prize pool is growing now.. its been pretty amazing the response I've had. Freescale by far has donated some of the coolest gear. A local company has donated some nice items. A energy drink company has offered up some product.

Parallax, Joe Grand and MDfly have all helped with discounts to make the RFID gear being used in the contest a little more affordable.
                          Last edited by [Syntax]; April 13, 2009, 02:21.

Comment

Originally posted by [Syntax] View Post
                            Alot of sponsors have been jumping on board. The prize pool is growing now.. its been pretty amazing the response I've had. Freescale by far has donated some of the coolest gear. A local company has donated some nice items. A energy drink company has offered up some product.

Parallax, Joe Grand and MDfly have all helped with discounts to make the RFID gear being used in the contest a little more affordable.

My next issue is getting all this cool stuff from Texas to the con. I know Riviera charges a fee to accept boxes. I have to contact FedEx to see if I can ship to a FedEx Kinko's location nearby and then pickup from there. Or what they can offer as a pickup point since I don't feel like paying Riviera an arm and leg to hold a box.

Any ideas would be appreciated.. I've debated driving in... But its a long drive from San Antonio.
                            There is a UPS store about 3 miles due east of the Riv. When we did the RFID contest for the Wireless Village a couple of years past, I shipped everything there. They need pre-approval to accept packages; a phone call will take care of it. However, if I had to do it again, I'd just ship to the Riv. Their handling charges are cheaper than the cab fare.
                            Last edited by [Syntax]; April 13, 2009, 02:21.
                            Thorn
                            "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

I'm in. Sounds like my kind of fun!

Comment

Working...
                              X