Speakers, etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speakers, etc

I know that the speakers, etc will be broadcast over the channels you guys have.. is there an effort to record (vhs/dvd/vcd) any of the stuff you're broadcasting?

I know I would be in line to buy one for the stuff I miss, instead of toting a vcr out there or tying up a system to record digitally
    if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

I believe there are audio recordings available after, but I don't know about video.

simple3

Comment

Video

I believe there are audio recordings available after, but I don't know about video.
      There is video of DefCon going back to DefCon 7. You can get all the Audio or Video through The Sound of Knowledge. It's a little bit pricey if you ask me, but hey, maybe I'm just cheap. :)

Also, I know the audio for past DefCons is out there. I won't say where, you'll have to find it yourself.
      .: Grifter :.

Comment

hell ya that's pricey... I'm surprised you guys don't take it up and make a few more $$ off the sales to compliment badge fees

Comment

$$$

Goons dont get paid (usually). And to dedicate the time and resources to do that would just be too much. We DO record some of the stuff and keep archives here and there.

But I wonder how many good years we really have left in DefCon. Is it worth the investment in hardware to try and do something like that?

Comment

Re: $$$

Originally posted by russ
            But I wonder how many good years we really have left in DefCon.
            "Hi, my name is jaded. Nice to meet you."
            perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Cost

Hey, You might be surprised at the cost. Look in to Dub houses. I work in one and the cost is not that high for VHS. We do mass dup. here and out of Mexico and cost are honestly not that high. Plus now we are doing mass VCD and can hold 74 minutes audio and Video.
              Look for dub house in out of the way places like Montana. Cost are low here compared to bigger cities. Just an Idea

Comment

Are there any others willing to hop in and take this on as a project? I would be willing to work on compiling video to vcds/dvds post-con. What I would need is material, digital preferred, but vhs would work if the quality was decent.

$700 is just outrageous and I think it would be a cool thing for those that attend.. or for those that couldn't make it. Make something a little closer to at-cost. It looks like this other place is trying to sell em $30 a speech, or something insane like that

that is.. at the goons approval?

Comment

com at 15?

I think the con has lots of life left in it but we will need to address the hotel's space issue, the speakers quality (and attendance or lack thereof) and the professionalism of the atendees. DC9 was more of a rave than anything else. Maybe we can find a bigger hotel?

Comment

Re: com at 15?

Originally posted by astcell
                    I think the con has lots of life left in it but we will need to address the hotel's space issue, the speakers quality (and attendance or lack thereof) and the professionalism of the atendees. DC9 was more of a rave than anything else. Maybe we can find a bigger hotel?
                    The hotel space issue - we will need a bigger hotel only if we want larger numbers. Last year was what, 6k? How big do the coordinators really want it to be? Are we looking for Comdex type numbers (40-60k)?

Speaker quality - always an issue. When people do it for free there is always an angle. What are the speakers doing it for? Fame? Sell product? Sell an ideology? very few people will stand in front of a crowd just because they think something is good on it's own merits. Further, a lot of these people haven't had the experience of talking in large forums, and haven't developed speaker skills. They're geeks for god's sake!

Professionalism of attendees? You really do want a Comdex of N/I atmosphere? Here come the suits and ties. Defcon is a cultural event as much as anything else, and this culture doesn't exactly inspire professionalism.

I mean do you really think that a forum for areospace engineers would bother with avatars or smiley faces? You play to your audience.
                    justazero -
                    "Skepticism, like chastity, should not be relinquished too readily."
                    - George Santayana

Comment

well, my first con will be the forthcoming, so I can't comment much about its current state with respect to past... but if the suits make it in, I bet its a safe say that defcon will be dead

Comment

con attitude

I don't want to see the place turn into an aerospace conference, but it should not turn into a opium den either, and at least at the last con it was headed toweards the latter. I think we can all have a great time without trashing the place to kingdom come. Leave the walkway lights in tact and try not to look like a crowd of locusts passed through.

Or maybe I'm missing something, and when no one is looking I will kick a walkway light. Maybe I'll be filled with a feeling of completeness that was not available through any other wordly act.

As for the speakers, yea I know they are geeks who speak for free and probably feel more at home in chat rooms. One speaker I was looking forward to last year did not show at all, and through we had a filler at the last minute, it was a letdown. I agree that maybe giving them a few bucks would be a motivation.

Or maybe we can have bikinigurl give them lessons on meeting girls, knowledge like that is priceless. ;)

Comment

RE: con attitude

I agree that the "party" atmosphere is a part of Defcon that shouldn't be lost. But the stupidity could be toned down. Like the "OD" that got up and walked away after being carried half way across the hotel grounds. As far as size. I don't have a problem with the size as long as I don't have to continuously sit on the floor. (especially in a hot tent)

What I want to see in the speakers is something different from what they just did at BH.
                          Life is too short not to enjoy....because you won't get out alive.

http://www.fuckinggoogleit.com/

Comment

Re: con attitude

Originally posted by astcell

As for the speakers, yea I know they are geeks who speak for free and probably feel more at home in chat rooms. One speaker I was looking forward to last year did not show at all, and through we had a filler at the last minute, it was a letdown. I agree that maybe giving them a few bucks would be a motivation.

Who are you talking about?

tw

Comment

missing speaker

There was one who was going to talk about background investigations. He was replaced with a guy from SafeWeb.

Comment

Working...
                              X