X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodgeball is dead

On March 6th, Dodgeball shut down:

http://www.dodgeball.com/

I'm wondering what people are planning on using to replace it. I'm a fan of Loopt:

http://loopt.com

...but it seems some people don't have fancy pants new phones and need something that works over SMS.
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
    [ redacted ]

Re: Dodgeball is dead

Originally posted by bascule View Post
    On March 6th, Dodgeball shut down:

http://www.dodgeball.com/

I'm wondering what people are planning on using to replace it. I'm a fan of Loopt:

http://loopt.com

...but it seems some people don't have fancy pants new phones and need something that works over SMS.
    I wondered when that would happen. They didn't seem to ever be expanding the markets they covered, so I knew something was up.
    PGP Key: https://defcon.org/html/links/dtangent.html

Comment

I do it old school and just use a plutonium suppository. This way our nations radiation detectors have no problem keeping track of where I am.

Ok I'm going to go there; being over 30 I just don't get these services. GPS I get, Linkedin I get, IRC I get, e-mail I get, telephony I get, Twitter no, Facebook no, Myspace no. Is there something wrong with me or am I just old & wise.

xor
      Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Originally posted by xor View Post
        I do it old school and just use a plutonium suppository. This way our nations radiation detectors have no problem keeping track of where I am.

Ok I'm going to go there; being over 30 I just don't get these services. GPS I get, Linkedin I get, IRC I get, e-mail I get, telephony I get, Twitter no, Facebook no, Myspace no. Is there something wrong with me or am I just old & wise.

xor
        I think Twitter is the internet's version of Tyler Durden's theory on single serving friends.

I don't get them either, I don't think it would be a great loss if all the twits would go away.
        A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
          I think Twitter is the internet's version of Tyler Durden's theory on single serving friends.

I don't get them either, I don't think it would be a great loss if all the twits would go away.
          Actually going to a high volume Twitter site like CNN is like opening up societies brain and watching a stream of conscious go by. It's like trying to watch the matrix in reality.

xor
          Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Actually going to a high volume Twitter site like CNN is like opening up societies brain and watching a stream of conscious go by. It's like trying to watch the matrix in reality.

xor
            So it's kind of inane as the storyline of the matrix was?
            A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Actually going to a high volume Twitter site like CNN is like opening up societies brain and watching a stream of conscious go by.
              You can get that at any time for any search term, e.g.:

http://search.twitter.com/search?q=defcon

Originally posted by streaker69
              I don't think it would be a great loss if all the twits would go away.
              It's really handy when some service breaks. At least you can quickly find out that the problem is affecting tons of people and not just you.
              [ redacted ]

Comment

I prefer, uh, sending text messages. Myself. I suppose it's alright if your group of friends likes spending every waking moment with each other, is allergic to planning ahead, and is stagnant.

Lets take for example, "I want beer." I'll call/text up my beer enthusiast buddies and see if they want to go, because they're awesome to drink with (because no single drink is ever repeated). If they can't go, or maybe if they can, I'll call up another group that's appropriately compatible and see what I can get there, etc. etc. etc. until I've assembled an appropriate bar-team.

A dodgeball user, in order to prevent stupid, awkward crap, would have to have... an extra special bunch of friends out of which every possible combination is compatible. I've never seen that in real life outside of really lonely folks with a circle of about 3 friends and idiot kids who value the action of being with people over the people they're with.

Also, this throws out all the benefit of forward planning. "I'm at the bar, anyone want to come?" in my world has about a 95% chance of me sitting there at the bar, alone for the next 3 hours. "Hey, want to go to the bar tonight? 20 minutes?" has about a 90% chance of finding someone to drink with.

Comment

Originally posted by Wing View Post
                  I prefer, uh, sending text messages. Myself. I suppose it's alright if your group of friends likes spending every waking moment with each other, is allergic to planning ahead, and is stagnant.

Lets take for example, "I want beer." I'll call/text up my beer enthusiast buddies and see if they want to go, because they're awesome to drink with (because no single drink is ever repeated). If they can't go, or maybe if they can, I'll call up another group that's appropriately compatible and see what I can get there, etc. etc. etc. until I've assembled an appropriate bar-team.

A dodgeball user, in order to prevent stupid, awkward crap, would have to have... an extra special bunch of friends out of which every possible combination is compatible. I've never seen that in real life outside of really lonely folks with a circle of about 3 friends and idiot kids who value the action of being with people over the people they're with.

Also, this throws out all the benefit of forward planning. "I'm at the bar, anyone want to come?" in my world has about a 95% chance of me sitting there at the bar, alone for the next 3 hours. "Hey, want to go to the bar tonight? 20 minutes?" has about a 90% chance of finding someone to drink with.
                  Not to mention those times with clients, and or your boss out at the bar and your friends or the psycho-slut you been sleeping with shows up.

xor

Some groups of people were never meant to meet. Like your feminist vegan girl friend and your boss who hunts Bambi for fun.
                  Last edited by xor; March 24, 2009, 19:30.

Comment

and your boss who hunts Bambi for fun.
                    You really wouldn't get along with anyone at my place. There's more guns in cars at in our parking lot at any given time than you can imagine.

Comment

You really wouldn't get along with anyone at my place. There's more guns in cars at in our parking lot at any given time than you can imagine.
                      Are the hunting Bambi? Or the vegans? Around here, it's 50/50.
                      Thorn
                      "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
                        Are the hunting Bambi? Or the vegans? Around here, it's 50/50.
                        Around here, Bambi is held in higher regard than vegans. Bambi tastes better.

Comment

I was of course joking, but there have been similar situations I've known friends to get into when mixing work and play.

xor

Ps Hunting is fine with me personally. I can't think of anything more natural than hunting for food. You forget I live with 2 predators.

PPs If I had money to burn I would get one of these http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...&ct=image&cd=1
                          Last edited by xor; March 24, 2009, 19:55.

Comment

FourSquare seems like a rather faithful homage to Dodgeball, and works around a "check in" model just like the one Dodgeball used to use. Hell, the logo itself is a pretty blatant ripoff:

[ redacted ]

Comment

I was of course joking, but there have been similar situations I've known friends to get into when mixing work and play.

xor

Ps Hunting is fine with me personally. I can't think of anything more natural than hunting for food. You forget I live with 2 predators.

PPs If I had money to burn I would get one of these http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...&ct=image&cd=1
                              It would probably eat your other cats.

Comment

Working...
                              X