No announcement yet.

Hello from newbie! Free drinks anyone?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats! My 7th anniversary landed during con last year, so he decided to come along for the first time.
    Thanks!

Mine's coming along this time, so I'll be grabbin' her a badge and hopin' she doesn't get too bored!

OK, so I owe Car Bombs to R.J., Zero, and bikinigirl. Now for a really, really, really, really tough question.

Fourth Question:
    Who is the reigning Stanley Cup Champion?!
    :)

Yes, I love hockey, and my team rocks!

Kai

P.S.

$43, whaddya think?

Comment

Nice, overkill, but nice. If you feel like spending the 43 dollars and never having to get another pick set for rotating pin locks in your life, go for it. (Of course, you will need other sets for warded locks, circular locks, and car doors, but I don't mess with those. I don't have the money for the picks!)
      R.J.
      "All the subtlety of a chainsaw,
      with none of the social graces."

Comment

The Detroit Redwings !!!

Comment

grammar

It's actually the Detroit Red Wings. :D

Comment

Re: grammar

Originally posted by astcell
            It's actually the Detroit Red Wings. :D
            Who are The Detroit Red Wings? ... ;) <parody of Hacker-Jeopardy style>

Comment

Gimme a break, I'm a geek. I was born deficient of the sports gene!

Comment

southpark I can handle, flying pucks and balls are out of my league...

sigh.. a northern, canadian heritage, white guy that isn't into hockey, what's this world coming too?
                if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

All right, I'm a die-hard Wings fan, and since they just one the cup I'll forego the grammar complaints!

;)

Car Bombs Owed:
                  R.J.
                  Zero
                  bikinigurl ( not sure who this is?! )
                  poly_morphed

I believe that would be considered a sign of the apocalypse c0v3r9! :p

OK, how 'bout a music question?

Fifth Question:

What band plays Some Kinda Hate?

Linked to an MP3 file if you need to hear it. They've been covered by Metallica a few times for you younger folk!

Kai

Comment

Grammer Goof

My mistake, in my hurry to get it in I forgot to hit the space somewhere between red and wings. All hail Fedorov!!

Comment

google tells me...

...that the answer is The Misfits

Comment

heheh.. so does my friend id3 when I click on the link and it opens with my special wmp audio decoding binaries

never been much of a danzig fan myself, although metallica does have good taste in it's cover song choices...
                        if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Oh well, it's just for free drinks!

OK, here's one that might require a little imagination.

Sixth Question:

Given a square comprised of 16 cells,

how would you align the numbers 1 - 16 so that each row, column, and diagonal line add up to the same amount? The center four cells (example from image being cells 6,7,10,11), as well as each corner quadrant (example from image being 1,2,5,6 & 11,12,15,16 etc.) should also total the same as the others?

I don't know if I explained that right, but oh well. This should be an easy one too, but maybe someon hasn't seen it before.

Kai

Comment

It's too damn early in the morning, and I have work tomorrow, but I was actually thinking about making a dynamic programming recurrence to solve that. On the other hand... I'm getting 20,922,789,888,000 for the number of possibilities there. I'm probably summing it wrong. 16! ? The first item can go in any of 16 places, the second in any of the 15 remaining and so on...
                            Eh, I probably am summing it wrong. In any case, using an intuitive method would work faster.
                            R.J.

Comment

Interesting problem. A note to anyone who is attempting to solve this, there is an intuitive mathematical method to find the magic number (sum).

(Or at least that's what I found when I defined the problem as 0-15. I still haven't solved 1-16)

WHOOPS! It's the same solution as 0-15 with all the numbers incremented. Neat. Same sum using all rows, columns, and diagonals of 4 items. Same sum using all groups of 4 that appear in 2x2 submatrices. And it still conforms to the method to find the magical number.
                              Last edited by R.J.; June 19, 2002, 05:59.
                              R.J.

Comment

34!

first I wrote down this:

1 5 9 13
                                2 6 10 14
                                3 7 11 15
                                4 8 12 16

See I did the numbers vertically. No luck, so I reversed the 2nd and 4th columns:

1 8 9 16
                                2 7 10 15
                                3 6 11 14
                                4 5 12 13

this adds to 34 going across but not down. So then I reversed the 2nd and 3rd rows.

1 8 9 16
                                15 10 7 2
                                14 11 6 3
                                4 5 12 13

This adds to 34.
                                Last edited by astcell; June 19, 2002, 11:13.

Comment

Working...
                                X