Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gun Cases (split from general interest thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun Cases (split from general interest thread)

yo deviant

getting there thursday morning. i want to bring my ak-47 and 30/30, but i can't find a good double rifle traveling case. any suggestions? also, i know i can bring 11lbs of ammo with me on the plane. i have checked to make sure both airlines accept ammunition (continental and AA) what are your thoughts on these airlines regarding travel with ammo?
    <Boomsurf> a t1, hahahaha u are using a terminator?

Re: anyone interested in doing this again?

Originally posted by chill View Post
    i want to bring my ak-47 and 30/30, but i can't find a good double rifle traveling case. any suggestions?
    The Pelican long cases, 1700, 1720, and 1750 may take doubled rifles. Scoped rifles may be an issue.

Pelican cases are damned expensive, but worth every penny.
    Thorn
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

i want to bring my ak-47 and 30/30, but i can't find a good double rifle traveling case. any suggestions?
      If you're looking for inexpensive, I've found the plano cases to be a viable alternative to pelicans. They aren't watertight, but I don't go diving with my rifles :)

Here's their double scoped rifle case in use (packed with as much as I thought it would hold):

It's out of stock at midwayusa but bass pro shops have it for a bit more.
      Last edited by topsnooper; April 8, 2009, 20:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
        The Pelican long cases, 1700, 1720, and 1750 may take doubled rifles. Scoped rifles may be an issue. Pelican cases are damned expensive, but worth every penny.
        Thorn nails this one right on the head. The 17XX-series by Pelican is my absolute favorite. Be sure to check their web site for details as to which airlines consider which cases to be "oversize" etc etc.

But yeah... worth every penny. And scopes do fit nicely and securely in there, even the way i Tetris things together...

... plus, i should mention that for airline security you really can't top slapping a pair of Abloy Protec Executive padlocks (their PL321 model) on the two latch holes. For $25 you get unstoppable protection (short of them being outright cut off... and even that's harder than it looks, with their boron-reinforced shackle)

also, i know i can bring 11lbs of ammo with me on the plane. i have checked to make sure both airlines accept ammunition (continental and AA) what are your thoughts on these airlines regarding travel with ammo?
        Continental allows you ammo...
        Originally posted by Continental Airlines web site
        No more than 11 pounds of ammunition may be carried. The ammunition may be packed in the same container as the firearm or in a separate container. Ammunition must be packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood or metal containers. The ammunition inside the container must be protected against shock and secured against movement. The ammunition may be packed in the same container as the firearm or in a separate container.
        American Airlines also allows ammo...
        Originally posted by American Airlines web site
        Ammunition must be packed in its original packaging. Loose ammunition or clips will not be accepted. ... # Maximum per case is three rifles/shotguns or five pistols/revolvers, five lbs. ammunition, shooting mat, noise suppressors, and tools. There is no limit on the amount of cases allowed. Ammunition is limited to 11 lbs. per passenger.
        my main thoughts on this issue (as i talk about in my "Packing & the Friendly Skies" lecture) is that while you're always safe (legally) if you do things by the book, you can never count on everyone else having read the book. print out web pages of showing the rules (both the airline rules as well as the TSA/Fed rules) and have them ready to display if people whom you encounter (usually airline employees) give you any static. keep in mind, there's the "TSA Legal Citation Sheet" that i keep on my web site which you can print out and have at the ready, as well.
        Last edited by Deviant Ollam; April 9, 2009, 14:23.
        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
        - Trent Reznor

Comment

Last night I happened to be at the local Dick's Sports. Inside the guns'n'ammo section, there was a variety of long gun cases. The Plano cases struck me as being pretty flimsy. I'll stick with my recommendation of the Pelican cases.

There was one case that really had me asking "WTF?" While the case itself looked to be strong and well made, but had built-in locks with the 'approved by TSA' logo on them, marked "TSA 002".
          Thorn
          "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

I have 0 complaints about my Pelican 1750 case. It's the one I had at the shoot last year. I also ended up with one of those pelican briefcases. Holds the GSG-5PK perfectly. However, something of note: I mailed Pelican asking for new locks for it because the original owner of the case is now deceased and no one knows where the keys went, Pelican mailed me a new set of keys. This says: one key to rule them all.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

The Plano cases struck me as being pretty flimsy.
              If I remember correctly, our "Army issue" gun cases for the 9mm and M-16 were Plano's. Even with a padlock on them, you could bend and contort the case enough to remove the weapons without touching the locks.
              "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Originally posted by theprez98 View Post
                If I remember correctly, our "Army issue" gun cases for the 9mm and M-16 were Plano's. Even with a padlock on them, you could bend and contort the case enough to remove the weapons without touching the locks.
                Yeah, that was my impression, and why I'd be wary of using them for travel. The Pelicans could have the proverbial gorilla baggage handler, and not open.
                Thorn

Comment

Originally posted by theprez98 View Post
                  the unofficial rule that many TSA departments at airports follow is "can you flex or bend the case enough to insert a finger even if it's locked" and that is how they determine if the case is compliant for air travel.

naturally, this is a rather arbitrary designation (inserting a finger doesn't mean the ability to pull the weapon out in most instances... and how hard you're trying and how willing you are to scrape up your hand is also subjective) but it works rather well as a quick and dirty solution to the question.

of course, many manufacturers' cases (a lot of which state specifically that they are TSA compliant) are able to be compromised in this way. many others suck for a variety of additional reasons. (like manufacturer included locking mechanisms... often shitty combination wheels or bullcrap wafer locks)

it really is insane what constitutes a decent and useful gun case for air travel in the eyes of...
                  1. the case manufacturers
                  2. the airline staff
                  3. the TSA
                  4. security professionals who actually strive for the best
                  "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                  - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by topsnooper View Post
                    If you're looking for inexpensive, I've found the plano cases to be a viable alternative to pelicans. They aren't watertight, but I don't go diving with my rifles :)
                    Generally I'd like a USIA dry bag to go diving with my guns, and ideally a SAV to go with it, but I have to agree with everyone else, Pelican cases are worth every penny, one only has to watch the baggage handlers toss around that way overpacked bag and a set of golf clubs on top of your Plano case.
                    Nonnumquam cupido magnas partes Interretis vincendi me corripit

Comment

Originally posted by erehwon View Post
                      Generally I'd like a USIA dry bag to go diving with my guns, and ideally a SAV to go with it, ...
                      When diving with guns, it's probably just as easy to skip the bag altogether and go with the HK MP5N.
                      Thorn

Comment

When diving with guns, it's probably just as easy to skip the bag altogether and go with the HK MP5N.
                        Or that crazy underwater flechette gun the ruskies made specifically for underwater engagements. This thing..

But ya, give me a MP-5SD any day. Actually, give me anything out of the HK catalog and I'll be happy..well, except a G36..

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
                          the unofficial rule that many TSA departments at airports follow is "can you flex or bend the case enough to insert a finger even if it's locked" and that is how they determine if the case is compliant for air travel.
                          [/INDENT]
                          Who's finger? WHICH FINGER!?!

I _have_ a dedicated finger _for_ the TSA (and a backup, in case that one fails to fire! Always practice "off hand" for LA traffic!).

someguy

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
                            Or that crazy underwater flechette gun the ruskies made specifically for underwater engagements. This thing..
                            Don't forget the other crazy underwater flechette gun that the Ruskies made.
                            “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Comment

Its funny..thats what I was originally looking for, but for the life of me I couldnt remember what it was called.

Also, I *love* world.guns.ru. I could spend all day on that site making a shopping list

Comment

Working...
                              X