This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ham license exams

Ok, time to file the paperwork on this session. Those of you interested in being a VE for the exams, please PM me your call sign.

-Jon

Comment

Jon, I'm up for the technician's exam. I PM'ed you my info.
      Blog:
      LinkedIn:
      Twitter:

Comment

Originally posted by JonM View Post
        Ok, time to file the paperwork on this session. Those of you interested in being a VE for the exams, please PM me your call sign.

-Jon
        Jon, please let me know exactly what paperwork needs to be filled out and submitted. My dad wants to study and then take the basic exam at DefCon.

Regards,

valkyrie

Comment

Originally posted by valkyrie View Post
          Jon, please let me know exactly what paperwork needs to be filled out and submitted. My dad wants to study and then take the basic exam at DefCon.

Regards,

valkyrie

On a whim and since I had nothing to do on Sat. (long story involving an inept client) I got certfied at the Dayton Hamfest. I suggest the following site for practice exams (free)
          http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl

Originally posted by hamvention.org
          1) The original current amateur radio license (to show us and a copy for to file, if any).
          2) The original and a copy of any CSCE or other paperwork which will be submitted for credit.
          3) A government issued photo ID (i.e. driver's license)

The application process requires either a Social Security Number (SSN) or FCC Registration Number (FRN). If you have had any correspondence with the FCC in the past few years, they may have already issued you a FRN. The FRN has been printed on amateur licenses issued in recent years. If you have other FCC licenses, you may have a FRN from that. If you don't have a FRN and don't wish to give out your SSN or if you don't have a SSN, you can visit the FCC website at

http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls
          From this page click on the REGISTER button and follow the instructions to apply for a FRN. You can also use this page to check and see if you already have a FRN.
          Then I got home in time for local hamfest to try for General but missed it by 3 questions, guess I should try and study for that one.

The question pool is fixed so if you've got a photographic memory you could memorize all the questions and answers.

Comment

Ok, I just sent in the session registration, and I've heard vague rumblings that we've got a Skybox reserved on Sunday. So we should be good to go.

If you're interested in taking the tests, there are three very important things you must bring:

1) Your FCC Registration Number (FRN). Get it at wireless.fcc.gov. If you don't have this, you'll have to give us your social security number. We don't want it.
            2) $15 cash or check
            3) A government issued photo ID

There are many ways to study for the test. The easiest thing to do is to check out a copy of the ARRL Ham Radio License Manual a week or two before the test, read it through, and then take practice exams on a site like qrz.com.

We have four extras giving the test, so we can administer upgrade exams as well.

-Jon

Comment

Originally posted by JonM View Post
              Ok, I just sent in the session registration, and I've heard vague rumblings that we've got a Skybox reserved on Sunday. So we should be good to go.

If you're interested in taking the tests, there are three very important things you must bring:

1) Your FCC Registration Number (FRN). Get it at wireless.fcc.gov. If you don't have this, you'll have to give us your social security number. We don't want it.
              2) $15 cash or check
              3) A government issued photo ID

There are many ways to study for the test. The easiest thing to do is to check out a copy of the ARRL Ham Radio License Manual a week or two before the test, read it through, and then take practice exams on a site like qrz.com.

We have four extras giving the test, so we can administer upgrade exams as well.

-Jon
              Thanks JonM, wanted to make sure leeb is set up. Already have the ARRL manual. Thanks for the site point for the practice exams.

Regards,

valkyrie

Comment

My ham license lapsed last year, and for various reasons I really doubt I could get another one...
                45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
                45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
                [ redacted ]

Comment

Originally posted by bascule View Post
                  My ham license lapsed last year, and for various reasons I really doubt I could get another one...
                  You have a two year window in which you can renew your license without retaking the test. Just come by the exam session Sunday, bring $15, your license and ID, and we'll hook you up.

-Jon

Comment

Is it ok to use the 2006 version of the ARRL Ham Radio License manual to study from?

Comment

Originally posted by sally View Post
                      Is it ok to use the 2006 version of the ARRL Ham Radio License manual to study from?
                      Generally yes, just take a bunch of practice exams online to make sure you've got it down.

-Jon

Comment

Awesome! Thanks!

Comment

Have the organizers of this managed to get a room for the testing?
                          Has it been announced?
                          Has the time been announced?

I read "Skybox reserved on Sunday" but do you know which number and what time on Sunday?

I can create a forum for this if you have your own dedicated space at Defcon for it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
                            Have the organizers of this managed to get a room for the testing?
                            Has it been announced?
                            Has the time been announced?

I read "Skybox reserved on Sunday" but do you know which number and what time on Sunday?

I can create a forum for this if you have your own dedicated space at Defcon for it.
                            This still happening?

Comment

I am studing for the General Test tomorrow. Any word on a time and location?

Comment

Sorry for the delay folks, no laptop here and my phone doesn't like to load the forums.

We are on like Donkey Kong for testing tomorrow. Noon in skybox 207.

Bring $15 cash, your photo ID and your FCC Registration Number (get it at wireless.fcc.gov).

Comment

Working...
                                X