DEFCON/HHV Documentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEFCON/HHV Documentary

I've been asked to repost this on behalf of the creator, Ryan Hoover, a friend and speaker from DEFCON last year. I'm posting this here since most of the people who participated in this documentary were from the HHV. Please read below for more info.

Last year, myself and the rest of CVORG traveled out to Vegas for our first DEFCON. Someone had the bright idea to video tape this and create a documentary out of it. The video covers our general experience of DEFcon, it centers around the HHV and includes interviews from DT, Kingpin, several volunteers and visitors to the HHV. While we weren't able to score an interview with the HHV founders, Lost and Russ, if they have time this year to spare, we'd be glad to chuck them in there! I hope those who are interested will take a look and let us know what you think. You can find the video either on our site or hosted on Vimeo here in HD. I'd like to thank all those who gave us interviews as well as those who hung out with us at the HHV and provided us feedback offline. We'll see you all this year at DC17 and simply can't wait!
    Last edited by afterburn188; May 21, 2009, 13:49. Reason: clean up
    afterburn

Re: DEFCON/HHV Documentary

Make sure you're aware of the limitations that defcon puts on members of the press (including filmmakers...) The rules are a bit different than just taking video of your friends.
    --- The fuck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon?

Comment

Originally posted by kallahar View Post
      Make sure you're aware of the limitations that defcon puts on members of the press (including filmmakers...) The rules are a bit different than just taking video of your friends.
      He had a press badge, wore it in plain sight, and followed the rules of requesting permission from each person before filming. For instance, the general shots of the HHV were taken during the contest times. Before each contest, all who were present were asked if anyone had an objection to being filmed, and there were none. We even went so far as to define the areas we would be filming so that those who wished not to be seen on camera could step behind the camera's range of vision. There were times we were asked not to shoot and we so didn't. If we have violated a rule please let me know so I that I can have this corrected.
      Last edited by afterburn188; May 21, 2009, 15:52. Reason: clarity
      afterburn

Comment

Originally posted by afterburn188 View Post
        He had a press badge, wore it in plain sight, and followed the rules of requesting permission from each person before filming. For instance, the general shots of the HHV were taken during the contest times. Before each contest, all who were present were asked if anyone had an objection to being filmed, and there were none. We even went so far as to define the areas we would be filming so that those who wished not to be seen on camera could step behind the camera's range of vision. There were times we were asked not to shoot and we so didn't. If we have violated a rule please let me know so I that I can have this corrected.
        I watched the video, and you guys definitely did follow all the rules from what I saw. There was no panning of the crowd or really any "crowd shots" beyond those in the HHV. They fixed the one inaccuracy I saw earlier and it really is a good flick... Better than I expected actually.
        And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
          I watched the video, and you guys definitely did follow all the rules from what I saw. There was no panning of the crowd or really any "crowd shots" beyond those in the HHV. They fixed the one inaccuracy I saw earlier and it really is a good flick... Better than I expected actually.
          I would agree and say they were an example to be followed. They broke no rules and most importantly cleared it with us.

Defcon really disapproves of the people who film all will nilly with random crowd shots and look for trouble. Because of this we have rules.
          "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

Finally got to watch this and I thought it was great. Still loving the O-scope although it doesn't get the action it deserves here. Seems there's a deadly combination of work schedules and the fleeting focus of 9-6 year olds that has not resulted in an army of robots here. I've considered bringing it to the HHV this year and using it for the con, then passing it on to someone that could make better use of it, perhaps by way of another contest?

SD

Comment

Working...
            X