Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fffedddd!

http://www.dhs.gov/ynews/releases/pr_1244227862914.shtm
    if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Re: Fffedddd!

Well that's gonna make spot the fed easy this year.
    perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-102...g=2547-1_3-0-5 (Disregard the Mitnick/Lamo Douche-baggery)

That's awesome for DT. Congrats!
      And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

Congrats Jeff, but they didn't include your nick name Jeff "The Dark Tangent" Moss. Actually it would have been totally cool if they used SVoS.

xor
        Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Thanks Converge, HW, Chris, xor!

Just got home from the trip, still very tired because I couldn't sleep well on the hotel beds.. the AC was always maxed yet the room stayed warm.

I'm still letting the appointment sink in.

When I got the call three weeks ago I was surprised at first but I agreed immediately before they could change their mind! DEFCON is all about sharing information and doing new cool stuff, thinking in different ways and solving problems. If I can help decision makers with more accurate information or an opinion that helps them see things in a different light then I've succeeded. Everyone is very interested in not only identifying problems but in developing solutions that can actually be implemented. How refreshing!

I was thinking about the Fffeddd comment.. since I don't get paid am I disqualified?
          PGP Key: https://defcon.org/html/links/dtangent.html

Comment

Congrats. :-)

Originally posted by Dark Tangent View Post
            I was thinking about the Fffeddd comment.. since I don't get paid am I disqualified?
            I guess it depends on the measurements used.

Back in, "the old days," when Priest ran the, "Spot the Fed," contest he partly let the audience make the decision, and would usually go with them on it. However, this seemed to change over time when the audience moved to cheer in favor of giving of tee shirts to Department of Forestry, or Bureau of Land Management types, or failed to provide any response to valid feds (due to lack of understanding how the questions' answers specified the kind of work the would-be fed might be doing.) Eventually he had to spell things out to people.

The last Spot the Fed I saw was the one where the woman slept with a guy she thought was a fed, and went through his things to find out if he was. In this more recent example of this contest, Priest has been the one that made the decision. (This was probably the funniest "Spot the Fed" I can remember seeing. I think that Priest or someone else said something about, "that bring a whole new meaning to honeypot," after the, "sleeping with the guy, " was mentioned and then re-stated to express it with humor.)

So, based on this trend, I think only Priest can answer that question: Shirt or Not?

Tune in, in less than two months; will DT be wearing an, "I'm the Fed," tee shirt, or not?
            Last edited by TheCotMan; June 6, 2009, 00:50.

Comment

I always tried to give Priest some guidelines, and let him run with it. I know one year I tried switching to the rule you had to have a badge to be considered a fed. If you had arrest authority you were _definitely_ a fed. This pissed off the TLAs!

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
              Congrats. :-)

I guess it depends on the measurements used.

Back in, "the old days," when Priest ran the, "Spot the Fed," contest he partly let the audience make the decision, and would usually go with them on it. However, this seemed to change over time when the audience moved to cheer in favor of giving of tee shirts to Department of Forestry, or Bureau of Land Management types, or failed to provide any response to valid feds (due to lack of understanding how the questions' answers specified the kind of work the would-be fed might be doing.) Eventually he had to spell things out to people.

The last Spot the Fed I saw was the one where the woman slept with a guy she thought was a fed, and went through his things to find out if he was. In this more recent example of this contest, Priest has been the one that made the decision. (This was probably the funniest "Spot the Fed" I can remember seeing. I think that Priest or someone else said something about, "that bring a whole new meaning to honeypot," after the, "sleeping with the guy, " was mentioned and then re-stated to express it with humor.)

So, based on this trend, I think only Priest can answer that question: Shirt or Not?

Tune in, in less than two months; will DT be wearing an, "I'm the Fed," tee shirt, or not?
              PGP Key: https://defcon.org/html/links/dtangent.html

Comment

heh... that topic line was a mis-read for me. I thought it was a long and drawn out way of saying "F'd" and couldn't for a while figure out what or who was being "fucked" by the article.

congrats on the appointment and i hope that you do just what they're ostensibly asking you to do... provide contrary and grounding viewpoints in the face of convoluted or flat-out impractical plans.

while i do not buy in to the spirit of the last two paragraphs of commentary (which were a little bit condescending) i would also express surprise that Bruce Schneier isn't on that sort of a panel. hopefully you can offer up the sorts of comments that he does... attempts to ultimately shift the whole focus of ideas away from asshattery and towards "real" security.

i love how in interviews about things like backscatter x-rays he always tries to conclude with wording about how making minor changes or implementation choices is stupid in comparison to scrapping the whole way we do security screenings and re-investing all that money into behavioral profiling and checked-baggage bomb detection.

heh... if you push hard enough for flying without ID to the point that it happens i'll buy you a new car or something, by the way!
                "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                - Trent Reznor

Comment

Congrats DT. Surprised the hell outta me to read that this morning.

Hopefully this means that the message that hackers/researchers are not the problem, crappy product security is the problem and not to shoot the messenger.

I've often noticed how the public at large which is a huge amount of brain trust is often left out of processes supposedly for their safety and security i.e. airport security: "What do you mean you can't tell me what your looking for?"
                  Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
                    It just means we all have to routinely try and sleep with DT to keep tabs on him

xor
                    Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Originally posted by xor View Post
                      It just means we all have to routinely try and sleep with DT to keep tabs on him

xor
                      Well... If DT is open to it...
                      And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

Congrats to DarkTangent!

From http://it.slashdot.org/story/09/06/0...uncil?from=rss:

"Hacker Jeff Moss, founder of computer security conferences DEFCON and Black Hat, has been sworn in as one of the new members of the Homeland Security Advisory Council (HSAC) of the DHS. Moss, who goes by the handle 'the Dark Tangent' says he was surprised to be asked to join the council and that he was nominated to bring an 'outside perspective' to its meetings. He said, 'I know there is a new-found emphasis on cybersecurity, and they're looking to diversify the members and to have alternative viewpoints. I think they needed a skeptical outsider's view because that has been missing.'"
                        So now that DT is kinda, sorta, part of the DHS, I guess this makes the Spot-The-Fed game a bit too easy... :)

Comment

Re: Congrats to DarkTangent!

This topic is being covered in another thread.

https://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?t=10477
                          Of course its fully cooked... we had it set on "linen".

Comment

Threads merged. Please see if a topic has been posted before starting a new one.
                            perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Oh you're paying, just not with $$$ ;)

Seriously though, major congratulations.

LosT

Comment

Working...
                              X