Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cosmoline removal

Originally posted by noid View Post
    I have a Nagant..cant remember if its an M39 or an M44, but its still packed in the cosmoline and has been sitting in the back of the safe for years. I should dig that out and clean it up sometime.
    Best to get on it, if I remember correctly it took a couple of weeks to get mine to stop sweating cosmo. I'm kind of a fan of old military weaponry, and have cosmo removal down to an art, but getting it out of the wood is still a major pain in the ass.
    "You have cubed asscheeks?"... "Do you not?"

Re: Cosmoline removal

Whats your trick for getting it out of the stock? Back when I lived in CA it was easy, wrap the stock in a black towel and put it in the back yard. I'd turn it a few times in a day and it would suck the cosmoline right out. Now that I live in the northwest, we're lacking that brutal summer heat, so I'm out of ideas.

In terms of getting it off metal, I've found boiling water does the trick..just watch where you dump that out and get ready to be yelled at if you use the wrong pot.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

For cosmoline removal from wood, I built a hot box inspired by my Foreman grill of all things. plywood, lined with heavy duty foil on the inside, painted black on the outside. A small angled trench at the bottom (and touching the lowest point of the angled stock catches the sweated cosmo, and drains it out into a little crap bowl. Some wire hangers make a good rack for the stock. It sits in the sun all day and I mount 5 reptile heat lamps around it at night.

The whole process takes about a 3 days, with intermittent wiping of the stock with paper towels. The general idea is to sweat all the cosmoline out of the wood and wipe the crap off, rather than suck it out with a towel, which in my experience was dependent on those brutal summers, and took several towels, and still let the stock sweat the first few times out at the range.

As for the metal too big to fit in a pot (or metal salad bowl in my case), a hell of a lot of Hoppes 9, Break Free, toothbrushes, and wire brushes. Patience is a virtue. Avoid using gasoline...

Comment

Here's a good article on cleaning cosmoline:

http://tfrwiki.midworld.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Cosmoline

Comment

There is quite a few things I dislike about the wiki's removal methods, some I don't like because I've tried similar methods, others because common sense dictates it's not a good idea.

The Oven Method
          Place the wooden parts in your oven and set the temperature to the lowest setting and keep a constant eye on the project. Even if the oven is on its lowest setting, a drop of cosmoline can drip down and catch fire on the flames or heating elements. Periodically take it out and wipe it down with rags soaked in mineral spirits to remove the cosmoline that has sweated out. A paint stripper heat gun can also be used in a similar way.
          Let's take this method apart: First and foremost, good luck getting the smell and steamed residue out of all the nooks and cranny's of your oven. Secondly, with that much heat, no matter what you mount it on, you're likely to char your stock, personally, I like my relics in near mint condition. The heat gun, unless in constant motion will heat one portion of the stock at a time, with drastic temperature variances; not good for wood.

The Cat Litter/Saw Dust Method
          Place the wooden parts in something absorbent like cat litter or saw dust and leave them in a warm place or out in the sun. Garages and car trunks are suitable places in the summer. The cosmoline will gradually sweat out over the course of several days into the absorbing media. Periodically sift through the media to ensure the wood is being exposed to fresh dry matter.
          Haven't done this myself... but did someone actually suggest baking cosmoline in your trunk? Not even all the Febreze in the world... And unless you're in >100 degree temperatures at a constant, I'd imagine it would take more than several days for this to happen on a well soaked stock.

The Dishwasher Method
          I don't even need to explain the multitude of reasons this is a stupid move...

Steamer Method
          Otherwise known as the swell, crack and weaken your stock method.

The Oven Cleaner Method
          Might as well buy a new stock by the time you get done repairing the damage you would do with this method.

Now keep in mind, I like to keep my old firearms in good shape, that means all original parts, this includes the finish. Aside from re-blueing the steel, I like my aged hardware to remain as close to the way they were made as possible. Not everyone is this anal, and therefore, re-sanding, staining, lacquering, etc. is not an issue. Then again, i'm sure there are some out there who don't care about their ovens, dishwashers, or trunk upholstery as much as I do as well. I'll call that my 2ยข.

Comment

Working...
          X