Hooch Wars..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooch Wars..

I got a question or two about if Hooch wars was happening this year at TBBQ.

Well Year 1 and 2 it was more of a last man standing event, which we kept pulling back on. It seems more and more of you would actually drink anything in abundance to the point of passing out just to win a blue ribbon. So that was a bad idea for a number of reasons.

Last year evolved into more of a taste contest with both really bad and really good concoctions. I still cant believe someone actually drank vodka, oreos, bad milk, pepper and coolaid - yuk.

So for this year, hooch wars will be there, but more of a best of breed event.

Mix of your best batch of booze, drinks, whatever and share with the group. Ive got mine planned out and hope to compete against some of the more exotic homemade stuff we saw last year. Make it taste good this year...

At worst case you could bring a six pack of your fav beverage and SHARE... at best, you could bring a nice sized cooler full of refreshing vodka,tequila or similar mix and show off your skillz.

Its all about having fun, getting the group to share in the experience and in my opinion SHARING. GIFTING IT, whatever..

As always TBBQ "powers that be" have the power, right, and such to change, eliminate or take all concoctions to themselves (as they work their asses off).

My suggestion is that you bring something your proud of, share it, buy a TBBQ T-SHirt, donate some cash, bring some roadkill to grill, help the cooks and SAY THANK YOU to the hard working TBBQ folks..

Later..
    +++ Dallas +++

Re: Hooch Wars..

I'll be back this year, and will be bringing two or three different homebrews to throw into the ring.

I might even have a new model of the kegpack.
    Last edited by Salem; June 11th, 2009, 17:50. Reason: Typos ftl.
    Of course its fully cooked... we had it set on "linen".

Comment

I really enjoyed that hooch you brought. Make more!

Originally posted by Salem View Post
      I'll be back this year, and will be bringing two or three different homebrews to throw into the ring.

I might even have an new model of the kegpack.
      +++ Dallas +++

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
        Make more!

That's the plan. Pending acquirement of more kegs, I should have ~50 gallons or so. Luckily, storage space in the bus isn't an issue, heheh.

Oh yes, and there is already another special bottle for you to use in the bug sprayer.

Comment

Do not screw the BBQ up for anyone else by getting caught doing anything illegal and serving to minors. This is fair warning that if either of you ruin something for someone else because of your home brew antics I will personally make your life miserable.

That's all, I'm staying out of it from here on out.
          "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

Wont happen. Already got that covered.

Originally posted by Nikita View Post
            Do not screw the BBQ up for anyone else by getting caught doing anything illegal and serving to minors. This is fair warning that if either of you ruin something for someone else because of your home brew antics I will personally make your life miserable.

That's all, I'm staying out of it from here on out.
            +++ Dallas +++

Comment

I actually made my first cider to bring to TBBQ this year (started it along with 3 meads...) although I know it won't be anywhere near the amazing stuff you were serving that went so well with my sangria! (Can I just say that juicing 40lb of fresh apples is a PITA?)

But, I was promoted this week at work, and ordered to attend a conference in San Diego that has me returning home to Vegas at 8:30 on Thursday night. I am BEYOND bummed that I'm gonna miss TBBQ this year.

I might even have a new model of the kegpack.

Comment

mmmmmm..cider. we should talk. I plan on having a considerable amount of my northwestern made cider on hand, but I wont be at TBBQ this year either. DEFCON is 'officially' starting on Thursday with the noob track and such, so security services begin then too. So thanks a bunch attendees, you cost me my thursday...

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
                  mmmmmm..cider. we should talk. I plan on having a considerable amount of my northwestern made cider on hand, but I wont be at TBBQ this year either. DEFCON is 'officially' starting on Thursday with the noob track and such, so security services begin then too. So thanks a bunch attendees, you cost me my thursday...
                  But if con won't be in full swing on Thursday, will you be able to get away with fewer peope working security so some can come out to the TBBQ, or at least take turns?

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
                    Where's 'northwestern'? Im at the top of CA, within two hours of Oregon. Also, noob track making goons miss the event FTL. What ever happened to jumping in and learning how shit works?

Also Joia, that sangria was awesome.

Comment

Also, noob track making goons miss the event FTL. What ever happened to jumping in and learning how shit works?
                      Well the good thing for Noid is these talks will mostly be 3 hour time blocks, there are only a few training sessions and talks going on which will be an hour long, so security should be rather light.I wish I could have ended Thursday sooner for you boys but we had so much good stuff submitted we couldn't say no. But if it makes you feel any better Noid, I do this 12 months out of the year and in close to 6 years I never got to leave the hotel. Last year though some wonderfully sweet girl brought me a hot dog. Cold, but it was the thought that counts. You as a Senior staff member should take the first shift and assign a minion to work the last half. :-P perks of being in charge of everyone else.

The trainings are not JUST for newbs. The sessions are maybe scaled a little bit to the beginner and 101 aspect of things, but some are not and would be nice refreshers for the out of practice folk. In case you haven't seen the line up check it out it's posted on the main page of Defcon.org. Matter of fact...I think I will check to see if it's been mentioned and post it up on the forums. I think that Jumping in to learn how things works is great, and to an extent no matter how many classes we hold, or newbs take, they will still be jumping in head first, this just hopefully gives them a little heads up.

Also sometimes people do like to have a basic understanding of how it works and to use the tools necessary before feeling like a big dang doofus doing it for the first time in front of people who do know what they are doing. I haven't used a soldering gun since I was 8 or 9, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't a pro at it. If say I wanted to check out the HW Hacking Village this year to play with the Badge, I might want to get a demo and refresher on it, before I made a fool out of myself, burned my fingers and had to ask the poor guy sitting next to me a million questions while he is trying to work.

Also, It would be nice if people knew what to expect and what is expected of you at the con, that's why the Defcon 101 talk is such a nice idea for first time con goers.I am really impressed with the DC 101 folk who are putting all the effort into insuring people can get a little advice and history to have a more enjoyable time at con. You were new once too, and I imagine you might have felt like a pest asking a million questions to the one poor guy who had the patience to help you or not knowing why when you got yelled at by a big hairy guy in a red shirt. I remember my first time at the Alexis Park, granted I had I had a goon badge for my first con, but I had no idea about anything, I was an outsider as far as knowing the con was concerned. How was I supposed to know not to linger in front of the pool?
                      "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

In addition, I recommend a serving of eLix3r once a day for the month leading up to Defcon:
                        if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Working...
                        X