Social Engineering Contest @ DefCon 17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social Engineering Contest @ DefCon 17

So, we have a chance to start fresh , and build a respectable Social Engineering contest.

We are looking for interested parties to compete.

Please indicate your interest in this thread , if you would like to participate.

A lot more info will come in the next 48 hours, but until then please let me know any ideas.

--Moose

Re: Social Engineering Contest @ DefCon 17

Hey, are you saying Mystery Challenge isn't respectable? :)

1o57

Comment

Originally posted by LosT View Post
      Hey, are you saying Mystery Challenge isn't respectable? :)

1o57
      If by respectable we want to kill you, when we finally figure out the answer and it was "simple" then yes, it's respectable.

-- Tkrabec

Comment

Hehe...what are you talking about? The Mystery Challenge has absolutely *no* social engineering at all...

Just ask the players ;)

Good luck with the contest guys!

1o57

Comment

OK guys this is what we were able to come up with... We have alot of work to do from here but we are looking for the input of anyone who has something constructive to add.....

Thanks for all the support

Defcon Social Engineering contest

DC718 and Telephreak are bringing Social Engineering back to Defcon. HOPE and other conferences have been doing this successfully with a lot of participation for years, and we felt that this was a contest that after so many years should come back to the conference. Thanks to the elite contest/event Goon's Pyr0 and Russr, we have been given permission to start this up. Consisting of two rounds, teams will compete for the bragging rights of “Best Social Engineer @ #DefCon 17 , 2009.” With a few simple rules, the Social Engineering contest is open to any form, style and exploit you wish to bring, in so long as you can follow the rules and not endanger or disseminate anyone's credentials or personal information.

Social Engineering Contest -

1)Rules
          Our ability to bring this back to DefCon this year is a privilege and because of that the right to compete in this contest is a privilege. Do not abuse this privilege. We will eject violators from the contest.

A) The Golden Rule (s)
          1. No personally identifiable information
          1.a Contestants will not SE anything that pertains to personally
          identifiable information from any persons or corporations.
          This includes but is not limited to : Social Security Numbers , Credit card numbers, Dates of Births, etc.
          2. Please provide a quiet environment for any team who is on an active call.
          3. Don't be an idiot
          3.a Don't call the War Room , NSA , FBI , or any other local, state or federal government entities.

B) The almost Golden Rules
          1. “I Can't call the Secret Service? Who the hell can I call then!”
          1.a Contestants are free to call whomever they choose, as long as it does not violate the rules.
          2- This is not an excuse to ruin someones day/life, please be courteous and professional in your communication.
          3- This contest is exclusively for bragging rights to best Social Engineer, not a reason to be a jerk.

3.a Any action that is deemed in violation of the Rules will result in disqualification and/or worse. (I hear certain Goon's like to eat eyeballs.)

4. Rules may be changed , created at any time if the need arises.

2)Structure -
          1.Prizes
          1.a We'll figure something cool out. Every team that participates will receive something.

2.a The contest itself will be broken down into two rounds.
          The first round will be a three hour qualifying round on Friday.
          The second round will be a three hour finals round consisting of the selected finalists.

2.b Number of contestants -
          This contest is open to anyone and any number of people.
          There is no limit on the number of teams.
          2.c Contestants will preregister by sending an email to SECONTESTSIGNUP@DC718.org
          2.d Teams who have not registered before Thursday Morning, will be allowed on a first come, first serve basis, space permitting. We highly recommend preregistering your team.
          2.e Teams can consist of a max of 4 people, without prior OK from the contest management. (Have a ten person team? Don't be shy, we'll try to accommodate you)

3) Scoring

3.a Audience voting
          Teams will move onto the finals round based upon Audience votes/reaction and the Judges scores. The judges have final say. Goon's giving you props, as well as bribery, can get you points so feel free to let the beer flow.

Please direct any questions to SECONTESTSIGNUP@DC718.org and have fun!

Comment

I'm interested.
            during the contest do we have specific objectives for each call or is it up to the contestants to get as much information as possible while staying within the confines of the rules?

Comment

Sounds intriguing, I'm interested!
              Nonnumquam cupido magnas partes Interretis vincendi me corripit

Comment

I have the same type of questions, whats the goal? Get a pw, get one reset? Get a name? I'd like to know the goal before committing a federal offense :)

Originally posted by azma View Post
                I'm interested.
                during the contest do we have specific objectives for each call or is it up to the contestants to get as much information as possible while staying within the confines of the rules?
                +++ Dallas +++

Comment

Indeed... or do we just make our own objective that is imaginative / entertaining / useful? In any form I take it means that physical impersonation is allowed as well?

Comment

Originally posted by m00s3 View Post
                    So, we have a chance to start fresh , and build a respectable Social Engineering contest.

We are looking for interested parties to compete.

Please indicate your interest in this thread , if you would like to participate.

A lot more info will come in the next 48 hours, but until then please let me know any ideas.

--Moose
                    Yes. See my blog. I'd like to help.
                    We can use the DC19 badge for something .. let's do it!

Comment

Working...
                    X