Titanium Chef Challenge - details and discourse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titanium Chef Challenge - details and discourse

As DEFCON draws closer, i figured i'd want to mention some of the details of a highly unofficial contest that is run in conjunction with the ToxicBBQ each year. Most of you may be somewhat aware of it, but for the lurkers and the newbies... wrap your mind and your meat skewers around the Titanium Chef Challenge.

In the tradition of the "Iron Chef" cooking competitions, this contest pits teams against one another in the task of creating a meal focused around a theme ingredient to be revealed right at the start of the contest. More specifics about the rules, along with footage from past years, is available at the above URL.

The really basic rundown that you need to know is the following...

1. Teams of two to four people work together to get to a store, get to the park, and create a nice meal in a fixed time window.

2. On Thursday at exactly 15:00 at the Riviera right by the DEFCON Reg desk i will reveal this year's theme ingredient to the assembled masses. If you want to know what it is, you'd better be there. If your team isn't there, you'd better call someone or figure out how to learn the ingredient. (I will take cell numbers from team members who pre-register... and i text the theme ingredient to these numbers at 15:30, as well... in case you were lost or couldn't figure out where we were meeting)

3. INSIDER TIP - this year's theme will be one of the following...

.. seafood ................. ribs ..
    .. chicken .............. tex/mex
    tenderloin .............. butter
    .... bison .................. sausage
    ... bacon ................. venison

4. Teams will have one hour to shop and a half hour to get their butts to Sunset Park (15:00 - 16:30)

5. Teams will cook their food and prepare their dishes for one hour as the assembling crowd starts to arrive and have a good time. (16:30 - 17:30) Remember, you're making four items in total: two main dishes, one side dishe, and a drink. The main dishes must "officially" feature the theme. The side dish is there to compliment the theme ingredient but isn't obligated to contain it. (Naturally, it's allowed to, of course... unless things just get silly.)

6. All final submissions by the participants should be plated and ready for presentation by 17:30. We don't blow a whistle and shout "all tools down all hands up" or anything that silly, but you should surely be off the grills at that time, since we'll need all of them by 17:30 for the BBQ to properly get in full swing. Your plating should include at least one "show" piece (your meal plated nicely, all laid out, etc) and the rest of the food can be just family style... where tasters (judges or the public) can take what they wish.

7. A panel of judges will sample and score your food.* Each contestant item is scored in the categories of taste, plating/appearance, and creativity. One additional score is noted down for each team's overall harmony under the theme. Scores are totaled and the winner is calculated. (see last year's score sheets, online here... scroll down)

* Since i am friendly with lots of the people who participate on the teams, by policy i am not a judge. Whomever is in the area and knows me and asks politely gets to be one of the seven or eight judges.

8. The winning team gets some kickass prize. Last year it was a fucking Nintendo Wii. This year, money's tight for everyone... but i'm still doing something good. I figure maybe a Nintendo DS.

Heh, as any of the many women who've dated me can tell you... i'd surely benefit from some time playing Brain Age so i'm happy if no one comes out and participates... but that's no fun for the rest of us!

So, announce your intentions here (i've had some pseudo-announcements... PM's and email from people saying "oh yeah, we totally want to play) and we'll see you all in Vegas!

Last edited by Deviant Ollam; July 3rd, 2009, 20:23.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: Titanium Chef Challenge - details and discourse

Doodle and I are definitely in as a team. Still working on a team name, though.

ETA: Okay, we've decided on Team Taigo. Hai!
    Last edited by Sereyna; July 3rd, 2009, 15:31.
    She understands, but she doesn't comprehend...

The day I stop learning is the day they put me in a box.

Comment

Deviant,

Let me know if you need me to be a judge again this year so I can make the appropriate arrangements.

DaKahuna
      DaKahuna

Comment

Originally posted by Sereyna View Post
        Doodle and I are definitely in as a team. ... we've decided on [the name] Team Taigo. Hai!
        rockin'... we'll enjoy having you guys there. are you considering adding anyone else to your team? having extra hands can be a help.

Originally posted by DaKahuna View Post
        Let me know if you need me to be a judge again this year so I can make the appropriate arrangements
        would love to have you. all you need to do is be present at the park around 17:00
        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
        - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
          rockin'... we'll enjoy having you guys there. are you considering adding anyone else to your team? having extra hands can be a help.
          No plans for add-ons at the moment, but that could always change. Team Taigo will be doing a trial-run tomorrow on one of those possible mystery ingredients, so we'll see what happens.

Comment

Deviant, the Titanium Chef competition is clearly just another way for you to advance your anti-vegetarian political agenda on the forums.*

*This is a joke.
            "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Originally posted by theprez98 View Post
              Deviant, the Titanium Chef competition is clearly just another way for you to advance your anti-vegetarian political agenda on the forums.*
              joke or no joke, what's your point? Ain't nothing wrong with that agenda and I fully support it.

In those immortal worlds of Emeril Lagasse " Pork fat rules"
              DaKahuna

Comment

Originally posted by DaKahuna View Post
                joke or no joke, what's your point? Ain't nothing wrong with that agenda and I fully support it.

In those immortal worlds of Emeril Lagasse " Pork fat rules"
                It was a joke in reference to this thread.
                "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Originally posted by theprez98 View Post
                  It was a joke in reference to this thread.
                  I know... just messing with you for a change.
                  DaKahuna

Comment

Should I go for a three-peat?

For those of you in the know... I am no longer with Team Smoke, but I am the heart and soul of the two time champs (all modesty aside).... so I ask... "Who wants some competition?"

VanSmaq

Comment

i'm reviewing this thread, and as far as i can tell... sereyna's team appears to be the only solid commitment thus far. at the risk of irking her, i must ask... does no one else want a free Nintendo DS?

that is the prize this year. all you have to do is show up at the park (you should all be coming to the ToxicBBQ anyway!) a little early and let some friends try your cooking.

as of right now, you're all basically saying "sereyna... you're so awesome that we are basically giving you this prize for free by not competing against you" heh, while i'd surely think it a nice gift that anyone as sweet as she and her sister would deserve, come on... someone else out there may want to compete for it!

so, if you have any level of interest at all... let me know by posting here, ok? you have to show up at the DEFCON Reg area (back lobby of the Riv, by the parking garage entrance... where we meet for the DC Shoot) at 15:00 on Thursday when i kick it off by revealing the ingredient.
                      - Trent Reznor

Comment

VanSmaq, as captain of Team Taigo, I respectfully and humbly say, "Bring it on." Doodle & I are in it for the bragging rights, so it would be hard to brag if we have neither the defending champ nor any competition at all present.

Comment

Sereyna -

While I don't plan on competing at this moment, I will be sure to pack up my tools and be ready just in case. After all, winning by default (albeit effective) is never fun.

Either way, I am looking forward to what you bring to the concrete park bench :)

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                          X