Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Genuine Gelita Ordance Gel (Ballistics Gel)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genuine Gelita Ordance Gel (Ballistics Gel)

I'll make this post short and to the point.

The company that the FBI buys their ballistics gelatin powder from is in Iowa. If enough people are interested in this stuff to be at the DC shoot, we can all pitch in to buy a drum of it (the powder is not cheap) and I can schlep it over to the con since I'm driving. Saves a ton on freight.

Any interest?

Re: Genuine Gelita Ordance Gel (Ballistics Gel)

it would be pretty damn cool to line up equal quantities of gel in uniform quart or even gallon containers and fire upon them with varying rounds to demonstrate right there in-person what different ordinance will do to a target.

i personally have never seen any of my .308 rounds hit anything other than paper or jugs of water. gel might be spectacularly interesting... or just scary in its devastation.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

One of the things covered in mythbusters with use of that gel is that is suffers poorly under heat, and to mix it and set it required "room temperature" conditions and cooler, plus set time.

Just another consideration when you are in the middle of the desert and need to drive through more desert to get to a slightly cooler location in the high desert.

I'm not saying it can't be done. Heck, if people can make contraptions to cool beverages in minutes in the desert, then people can make devices to keep gel cool while it sets, and is setup as a target, but it is a complication to address.

Comment

mix it in the cooler, then shoot the cooler. Just leveraging synergies here to come up with dynamic solutions..

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Would you elaborate on "not cheap?" I have no baseline for what this stuff may cost and would like some idea before I go shooting my mouth off (no pun intended).

Comment

Okay, so I just put in a call to Gelita in Sioux City and came away with some information.

The minimum order is 25lbs of powder, which is good for making 3 cubic feet of ballistics gelatin.

The price breakdown is then as follows:

25lbs - $13.67/lb
            50lbs - $11.62/lb
            100lbs - $9.87/lb
            250lbs - $8.39/lb

As you can see it's pretty god damn pricey. The only way we can get this into the realm of possibility is if we put together a large order and I can pick it all up at once. Normally, they don't allow local pickup but since I live so close buy the guy said that he wouldn't mind making an exception. This saves a shit-ton on freight!

So what's the word people? I need a final answer by tonight because they need a few days to put an order together.

Comment

Sorry for the late post, could not get on yesterday for some reason.

Since 25lbs. will cost about $350, if others are interested, I would be willing to kick in $100.

Comment

If you guys mix some vodka in with this stuff when you mix it then you'd have some real Gelatin shooters. :)
                A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
                  If you guys mix some vodka in with this stuff when you mix it then you'd have some real Gelatin shooters. :)

Nah, soap and gasoline, and will we have napalm. Much cooler, though you can't drink it :-).

xor
                  Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

I should also note that this stuff *can* be recycled and reused. The gelatin can be remelted and reformed several times before needing to be discarded.

Comment

Working...
                    X