DC Shoot Marksmanship Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC Shoot Marksmanship Contest

Last year it was the DC Shoot's youngest participant, LEC, who was the grand champion of the marksmanship contest...

... which consisted of firing my five rounds from my Ruger rifle at about 25 yards. The targets were basic bulls-eyes. folks all did well, and LEC had some close competition.

This year, i'm going with something a little bit more fun. In honor of the good 'ol boy roots that many of the guys and gals at the Shoot have in their history, our targets this year take the form of what you might see sitting on a fence rail in the backyard...

The rules for this year's DEFCON Shoot Marksmanship Contest are...
    1. You are issued five rounds. You hold them and keep them wherever you wish, but are responsible for all loading, handling, and management if the rounds yourself.

2. You start with the rifle unloaded. What rifle will it be? Well... that's a secret for now, heh. I can assure you it's one that hasn't been at the Shoot with me before. And those of you who looked closely at the photo in the other thread may have seen something peeking out from the gun sock that gives you some idea of how fast it can be fired, or not.

3. You have thirty seconds in which to try to hit all four of the increasingly-small targets. Bystanders (typically the next and/or the previous contestant) will keep time for you and call out any intervals or indications as per your preference.

4. You may not shoot at a target until you have successfully struck the previous one.

5. Four targets, five rounds... what gives? Well, if you totally miss a target you can try for it a second time... or a third time, heh. If no one makes it to the "coin" then naturally whomever was the best shot on the "card" would be the winner, no matter how long it took to get there.

6. If you complete all four with four rounds you have the option of using your last remaining round (if time permits) to attempt to "improve" any previous shot. What does "improve" mean? Well... while striking the targets anywhere counts as a hit, you are specifically aiming at the small "crown" on the bottle of Old Fortran or the "eyes" of the subjects of the other targets. If you feel you were a bit off in your aim, you can take a second shot and we'll consider an average of your two hits on any one target.

7. Scoring? Well, this is always sort of loose when you're at a range with friends. I think that we'll simply add the sum of how many millimeters away from the four "bulls-eyes" your shots have hit. Every second you have left on the clock at the end of your five shots will be factored in as a bonus.

suggestions, please - should a second equal 2mm of forgiveness maybe? So someone who finished 5 seconds faster than another person could have been 1 cm less accurate overall but would still tie? I don't know... just searching for some sort of balance.

Heh, no matter how we ultimately work the scores, we will all surely have fun and i'll have prizes for the winner(s). Ammo for this contest is on me.

In addition to this marksmanship challenge, i believe that Merlin may be seeing how many folk he can rally for a few hands of Pistol Poker, as well. All in all, a rootin' tootin' good time of shootin!

I'm looking forward to a great morning of gun fun, as always!
    Last edited by Deviant Ollam; July 20, 2009, 21:52.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: DC Shoot Marksmanship Contest

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    And those of you who looked closely at the photo in the other thread may have seen something peeking out from the gun sock that gives you some idea of how fast it can be fired, or not.
    Bolt action eh?
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

I'd love to get in on this, but I've got no idea if I'd be able to get off more than one shot in 30 seconds.

Hell, I'll still try.
      Last edited by Sereyna; July 21, 2009, 08:24. Reason: Smiley Fail
      She understands, but she doesn't comprehend...

The day I stop learning is the day they put me in a box.

Comment

Originally posted by Sereyna View Post
        I'd love to get in on this, but I've got no idea if I'd be able to get off more than one shot in 30 seconds.
        awe, i have more faith in you than that. plus, people can take all the time they want to handle the rifle before they compete. i'll have some dummy snap-cap rounds available so people can practice dry with the action, etc. wouldn't want folk fumbling about and dropping ammo during their actual run.

Originally posted by Sereyna View Post
        Hell, I'll still try.
        good. that's more than most people will do in this world, which makes you a cut above right there.
        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
        - Trent Reznor

Comment

Single shot?
          Tubular magazine?
          Box magazine?
          Pump action?

Also, what type of sights should we expect? Thanks a bunch,

Nobody

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
          awe, i have more faith in you than that. plus, people can take all the time they want to handle the rifle before they compete. i'll have some dummy snap-cap rounds available so people can practice dry with the action, etc. wouldn't want folk fumbling about and dropping ammo during their actual run.

good. that's more than most people will do in this world, which makes you a cut above right there.
          "I know where you sleep." -Anonymous well-wisher

Comment

Originally posted by Nobody View Post
            what type of sights should we expect?
            iron sights. slightly less than ideal ones, heh. that's all i'm revealing for now.
            - Trent Reznor

Comment

Working...
            X