X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Defcon 17 Wrap-up: The Riv near bankruptcy

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009...uptcy-can-be-/

Not surprised given the tough times -- Vegas is taking it especially hard for obvious reasons. It's hard to to compete with $99 rooms at the Wynn and other crazy deals.

Re: The Riv near bankruptcy

Originally posted by Club81 View Post
    http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009...uptcy-can-be-/

Not surprised given the tough times -- Vegas is taking it especially hard for obvious reasons. It's hard to to compete with $99 rooms at the Wynn and other crazy deals.
    If it does go under there is always the MGM Grand Garden Arena :D 17,000+ capacity
    http://www.gotickets.com/venues/nv/m...rden_arena.php

Comment

Originally posted by Decrevi View Post
      If it does go under there is always the MGM Grand Garden Arena :D 17,000+ capacity
      http://www.gotickets.com/venues/nv/m...rden_arena.php
      HI

Well, unfortunately the MGM isn't up for weekend based conferences of our size - any other suggestions?

thanks
      S

Comment

Blizzcon has been announced at the Las Vegas Convention Center the same weekend, so that's out.

http://www.wow.com/2009/11/12/blizzc...-in-las-vegas/

On a related note, the odds of nerd-babies with amazing video game playing/computer coding "hybrid vigor" being born in March 2011 have just risen dramatically...

Comment

I'm in Vegas now..
          PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Tangent View Post
            I'm in Vegas now..
            DT, I know you mentioned in previous posts that DEFCON 18 is for sure at the Riv. You also mentioned in previous posts (may have been the same post) that you were poking around other venues.

Any update to this that you can share with the community? (Especially those of us that crave any CON nugget we can get! It's mid-Nov for cripe's sake -- give us something to get through the winter!! )

Comment

Yeah tuff times here in vegas... yeah im a local 702 :P anyways if you need venue scouting let me know...

Comment

The problem is that there just aren't hotels with convention space big enough for defcon any more. The other choices are Caesars, Mandaly Bay, or the Sands... All places that would probably come down on us much harder than the Riv has.
                --- The fuck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon?

Comment

I'd also like to note that we've had this conversation before:
                  https://forum.defcon.org/showthread....ght=bankruptcy
                  "As Arthur C Clarke puts it, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". Here is my corollary: "Any sufficiently technical expert is indistinguishable from a witch"."

Comment

Originally posted by g3k_ View Post
                    I'd also like to note that we've had this conversation before:
                    https://forum.defcon.org/showthread....ght=bankruptcy
                    Vegas was very good.
                    PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

Comment

When you say good..would it be good in that you

a.> Had a threesome
                      b.> Found a new/backup Hotel for Defcon
                      c.> Won a bunch of money
                      d.> All of the above.

Originally posted by Dark Tangent View Post
                      Vegas was very good.
                      +++ Dallas +++

Comment

I'd offer up my house, but the HOA has been bitchy recently !

We just used the red rock for a small conference. They were pretty good about it all, but i think its too small/far away. South coast/point has a pretty big arena if you don't mind the smell of horses/bulls, but its probably not big enough either.

The riv is looking a bit dwarfed, that new structure next to it seems to be on hold, i haven't seen anyone around it recently.
                        - Null Space Labs

Comment

hasn't the Riv been near bankruptcy for like 3 years ?

Comment

Re: From Defcon 17 Wrap-up: The Riv near bankruptcy

This will probably come up again, and again unless we have a thread for it.
                            It will probably come up again and again in new threads even though we have a thread for it, too.

I'm making this a sticky in Defcon 18 Planning so anyone can contribute something of value to it until this thread or forum is closed.

Comment

Re: From Defcon 17 Wrap-up: The Riv near bankruptcy

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
                              This will probably come up again, and again unless we have a thread for it.
                              It will probably come up again and again in new threads even though we have a thread for it, too.

I'm making this a sticky in Defcon 18 Planning so anyone can contribute something of value to it until this thread or forum is closed.
                              Thanks, TCM!

It's always fun to {complain about / plot against / yearn for something other than} the Riv. Thanks to your handywork, we have that place already created for the next 9 months!

Comment

Working...
                              X