Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DC407 Meeting - February 2010 - (Need Input)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC407 Meeting - February 2010 - (Need Input)

Let's get a meeting together for February 2010. Feel free to suggest venues, dates and times. If you're in the Orlando area and even remotely interested, drop me a PM or post here.

I've gone ahead and emailed the dcgroups admins to get our group reactivated, and begun work on the DC407 site. I have email and calendars set up and I'm working on getting the actual site set up. If you'd like a DC407 email/apps account just let me know. We have 50 to hand out with the free version of Google Apps.

I'll start PMing, emailing and otherwise bothering the people I know here in town who might be interested. DC407 has been inactive since 2006, let's make sure that changes in 2010.

As far as time and place, I'm near downtown Orlando so Stardust, Red Light Red Light, as well as Blue Jacket Park would be close by. For times, I'm a working stiff, so it'd have to be after 5:30pm on weekdays, but my Saturdays are pretty open. I'd like to avoid conflicts with the other user groups (i.e. 2600, OPUG, ORUG, CocoaHeads, etc.) if possible.

I'll update the below information once a time and place are finalized.

Date: February 26th, 2010
    Time: 7:00 PM ET
    Agenda: First meeting and opportunity to figure out what we want to do with the group. Future meeting planning, con-going logistics, etc.
    Last edited by abyssknight; February 9, 2010, 11:39. Reason: Added date, time, location for first meeting.

Re: DC407 Meeting - February 2010 - (Need Input)

Originally posted by abyssknight View Post
    Let's get a meeting together for February 2010. Feel free to suggest venues, dates and times. If you're in the Orlando area and even remotely interested, drop me a PM or post here.

I've gone ahead and emailed the dcgroups admins to get our group reactivated, and begun work on the DC407 site. I have email and calendars set up and I'm working on getting the actual site set up. If you'd like a DC407 email/apps account just let me know. We have 50 to hand out with the free version of Google Apps.
    If you decide to setup your own forums, you can let us know and we can lock this forum, and leave a redirection to your forum for new users to find. If you want to create a direct link to this forum for the forum for your DCG, you can do that too. I just want to let you know that we do not impose a requirement that you use the Defcon forums to host your DCG forums. These forums only exist for people to find DCG, and discuss DCG if/when a DCG is inactive or non-responsive. Several groups that had their own forums decided the spam and maintenance wasn't worth their time, and just pointed to us. Some are active enough with enough members that they feel having their own forums is justified, and we make Defcon Forum links to their DCG discussion forum a link to their own hosted forum awa from forum.defcon.org.

Good luck with your DCG.

Comment

abyssknight, I live an hour and a half from Orlando, but I'd be willing to help in any way that I can. A lot of #orlando Anonymous hang out on irc.helldive.org #orlando and I know that a few of them were interested in attending a DCG meeting, we were actually going to try to start a DC386, but it's been a failure. I can start a channell at helldive for DC407 and we can hang out in there to talk logistics if you want.

edit: I created #dc407 on irc.helldive.org
      Last edited by g3k_; January 20, 2010, 05:07.
      "As Arthur C Clarke puts it, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". Here is my corollary: "Any sufficiently technical expert is indistinguishable from a witch"."

Comment

Thanks _g3k! The only thing that concerns me about that server is that it isn't neutral territory. From what I understand, #dc-forums is over on EFNet, so that might be a better venue for this.

Comment

Thanks _g3k! The only thing that concerns me about that server is that it isn't neutral territory. From what I understand, #dc-forums is over on EFNet, so that might be a better venue for this.
          Right on, either way, I'll be in both.

edit: and yes, I have way to much time on my hands at work and I reply with lightning speed.
          Last edited by g3k_; January 20, 2010, 07:42.
          "As Arthur C Clarke puts it, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". Here is my corollary: "Any sufficiently technical expert is indistinguishable from a witch"."

Comment

Just FYI, the website is live at DC407.com. Still working out kinks with the mail server and the web server, but it should be fine for now.

I sent a few PMs and IMs out to people on the forums who mentioned Orlando meetings. So far, no responses, but that was late last night. I have one contact who went to con with me last year who is interested, and I reached out to a few other contacts as well.

Plenty of time between now and February.

Comment

Just FYI, the website is live at DC407.com. Still working out kinks with the mail server and the web server, but it should be fine for now.

I sent a few PMs and IMs out to people on the forums who mentioned Orlando meetings. So far, no responses, but that was late last night. I have one contact who went to con with me last year who is interested, and I reached out to a few other contacts as well.

Plenty of time between now and February.
              Yeah, I'm making sure people I know are at least aware of it for now. Site looks good, love the banner graphic.

The standard meetings, I think are usually the first Friday of a month, I'm not sure if that's the road you'd like to go down or not. I know there is a semi-active 2600 group that meets at the mall on Colonial, but I'm unsure of their meeting times.

Comment

Originally posted by g3k_ View Post
                Yeah, I'm making sure people I know are at least aware of it for now. Site looks good, love the banner graphic.

The standard meetings, I think are usually the first Friday of a month, I'm not sure if that's the road you'd like to go down or not. I know there is a semi-active 2600 group that meets at the mall on Colonial, but I'm unsure of their meeting times.

I commute to Lake Mary from Volusia, that said if the meetings are Fri's after work or weekends I'm definitely interested.

PS: website looks good!

Comment

How does Stardust on February 29th around 7pm work for everyone? We can change the meeting location and time/date if anyone has any suggestions, or we can discuss that at the first meeting.

Comment

How does Stardust on February 29th around 7pm work for everyone? We can change the meeting location and time/date if anyone has any suggestions, or we can discuss that at the first meeting.
                    Feb 28th? or March 1st? It's not a leap year this year.

[edit] there is no feb 29th, only zuul/.

Comment

Uh, I was... just testing you. Haha, yeah, that's it. ;)

In that case, we could shoot for Feb 26th then? I'm trying to give people enough time to go this month, i.e. make plans etc. We can always change the regular meeting date/time if need be.

Comment

Uh, I was... just testing you. Haha, yeah, that's it. ;)

In that case, we could shoot for Feb 26th then? I'm trying to give people enough time to go this month, i.e. make plans etc. We can always change the regular meeting date/time if need be.
                        Feb 26th is good for me, I'll let my people know and I'll be sure to be there.

[edit]google maps is correct, right?

Comment

Updated the first post with location and time info. See the Google Calendar on DC407.com for accurate map with address and such.

Looks like your link was to Stardust Lounge, below is one to Stardust Coffee & Video:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...h&z=13&iwloc=A

Comment

I have the location; barring any disasters escaping from my worksite that night, I plan on being there.

Comment

I let my chantards know what's up. I'll be there as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X