HHV 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HHV 2010

All right it's 2010 and Defcon is 189 days away. I can't wait to meet up with everyone at the HHV as well as the crush of visitors wanting to find out whats the HHV is all about.

Re: HHV 2010

I am anxiously awaiting, as well. I am planning to bring most of the stuff I did last year, black boxen included. Also hoping to bring a couple of extra new special things too. I have a new set of prizes as well.

And that solder has come in handy. Thanks again BombNav.
    -------------------------------------
    Vaka vanha Väinämöinen
    käski nuoren, käski vanhan

Comment

I plan on hanging out there more this year. Vertigo might not believe me, but now I'm making my declaration public! ;)

Joe

Comment

Well so far here is what I have:
        8 rolls of solder
        Will have 10 tubes of solder paste by CON time
        3 Weller type soldering stations
        A SMT hot air rework station

I am working on some work lights now.

Shapping up to be great so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingpin View Post
          I plan on hanging out there more this year. Vertigo might not believe me, but now I'm making my declaration public! ;)

Joe

Cool!

Can't wait to watch the hoards try to pick your brain clean on how the badge works!

Comment

I've got 3 of the little blue very fine tipped wellers
            Two of the Motorola BDM's
            Some power squids (are there rules about these?)
            IDC Headers for bdm's
            Chipquik

If there's anything people would like to see that weren't there, it'd good to list them out, just in case one of us has it to bring along. I never really know what to bring, i think the scope was overkill ;)
            - Null Space Labs

Comment

sugardaddy (phat32) justryan and i talked at shmoocon. Lots of exciting ideas to do this year, just a matter of organizing ourselves ahead of time. It'd be nice if we had a plan before we rolled in other than who is manning the village when. Anyone up for some mailing list discussions? Last year I made a wiki, maybe this would be more effective..
              afterburn

Comment

I would suggest more hook-up wire. Maybe I missed it, but it seemed HHV was short on wire last year. How about a glue gun?

Also, looking forward to HHV this year.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyBoy2 View Post
                  I would suggest more hook-up wire. Maybe I missed it, but it seemed HHV was short on wire last year. How about a glue gun?

Also, looking forward to HHV this year.
                  I had both of those for HHV use. This time maybe I need to make a list of whats available or something. The room really needs serious thinking on layout.

Comment

I think people are a bit intimidated to ask.
                    - Null Space Labs

Comment

Originally posted by charliex View Post
                      I think people are a bit intimidated to ask.
                      We need to work on changing this. I have a few ideas working right now. I wonder how many people pass through the HHV.. Would love to have a time lapse video of everyone coming and going.

Comment

I attended DEFCON last year and would love to help out more in the HHV this year. I do embedded design for money and fun and I have a lab full of equipment that I would love to bring and set up. I have a few of the usual items, o-scopes, benchtop power supplies and DMMs as well as some more exotic items like spectrum and network and logic analyzers, waveform and signal generators, irons and hot-air rework stations and other goodies.

I took a look at the HHV planning wiki and would be more than willing to help out with whatever needs it.

Comment

Originally posted by BluePlasma View Post
                          I attended DEFCON last year and would love to help out more in the HHV this year. I do embedded design for money and fun and I have a lab full of equipment that I would love to bring and set up. I have a few of the usual items, o-scopes, benchtop power supplies and DMMs as well as some more exotic items like spectrum and network and logic analyzers, waveform and signal generators, irons and hot-air rework stations and other goodies.

I took a look at the HHV planning wiki and would be more than willing to help out with whatever needs it.
                          This is my personal opinion on the matter:
                          The first year it was run we brought out lots of fancy expensive toys like logic analyzers, spectrum analyzers, arb waveform generator, etc. Only one person asked to use any of it and it was a speaker doing a talk on modifying wifi firmware to use 2.6GHz and beyond. Last year I had an oscilloscope with me at the counter and no one came up and used it. I really think that stuff would be awesome but caution you to be careful before you decide to bring all these things. Beyond the logistics of bringing them, there is the issue of will it really be worth the time. I think the village matures a little each year and hopefully we will reach a stage where these items are used more commonly but as it stands now, I'm not sure how much use these tools would get.

Again, this is only my own personal opinion and as we've seen in the past, they tend to matter very little in these matters. It is the users of the village who really help govern what happens :)
                          afterburn

Comment

One year, when doing a badge hack, the oscilloscope someone had brought was invaluable. Depending on the complexity of what people try to make this year, those sorts of instruments could be a big help.

Also, use of instruments could be a good talk/session at the HHV. I don't think I, personally, would be qualified enough to give it, though.
                            It's not stupid, it's advanced.

Comment

Originally posted by afterburn188 View Post
                              This is my personal opinion on the matter:
                              The first year it was run we brought out lots of fancy expensive toys like logic analyzers, spectrum analyzers, arb waveform generator, etc. Only one person asked to use any of it and it was a speaker doing a talk on modifying wifi firmware to use 2.6GHz and beyond. Last year I had an oscilloscope with me at the counter and no one came up and used it. I really think that stuff would be awesome but caution you to be careful before you decide to bring all these things. Beyond the logistics of bringing them, there is the issue of will it really be worth the time. I think the village matures a little each year and hopefully we will reach a stage where these items are used more commonly but as it stands now, I'm not sure how much use these tools would get.

Again, this is only my own personal opinion and as we've seen in the past, they tend to matter very little in these matters. It is the users of the village who really help govern what happens :)
                              Thanks for the insight, I didn't know you all had that kind of stuff in years past.

Originally posted by YenTheFirst View Post
                              One year, when doing a badge hack, the oscilloscope someone had brought was invaluable. Depending on the complexity of what people try to make this year, those sorts of instruments could be a big help.

Also, use of instruments could be a good talk/session at the HHV. I don't think I, personally, would be qualified enough to give it, though.
                              I'd consider putting together a talk/session for the HHV on scopes and equipment if you all think there would be enough interest for it. For that matter, I'd be up for a talk/session on any sort of embedded hardware topic.

Comment

Working...
                              X