• Show
Clear All

• Defcon 18 badge-related tweets and rumors

Recent tweets about Defcon 18 badge from JoeGrand and others on twitter:

[Oldest to newest]

Originally posted by joeGrand
    The #DEFCON 18 Badge prototypes have arrived! http://imgur.com/NzTOI.jpg
    After 6 hours of debugging hell thanks to poor quality PCB assembly, the #DEFCON 18 Badge final hardware has been approved!
    We'll start production PCB fab on Monday! Still need to wrap up firmware design and I have about a month to do so. #DEFCON
    #DEFCON 18 Badge firmware update: Low-level routines and basic state machine done, some hidden features added. So far, so good.
    Originally posted by ThisIsHNN
    Just got word from @joegrand that the HNN secret code has been embedded into the @defcon badge, good luck decyphering it! Mwahahaha
    Originally posted by joegrand
    @ThisIsHNN Uhrrr, so much for keeping that a secret!
    Ordering additional components for the #DEFCON 18 badge. DT made a last minute decision to make 1000+ more!
    Just bought the last known quantity of Freescale MC56F8006VLC available in the US. Now I have microcontrollers for the extra #DEFCON badges.
    Shocked @ production pricing for #DEFCON 18 badge fab & assembly. 4x higher than initial estimate. e-Teknet fail. Looking at other options.
    Originally posted by daftdoki
    @joegrand >|< 10k this year?
    @daftdoki 7,780 if all goes well.
    Originally posted by zrevai
    @joegrand #DEFCON 18, Bummer :( So hopefully you can find a way to get them assembled A.S.A.P. Sounds like an amazing badge.
    @zrevai We're doing some complicated fabrication, but the latest pricing has caught us off guard and way out of our budget. #DEFCON 18
    [Added:]
    No matter how carefully you plan or how early you start, something will always go wrong. Let the drama begin! #DEFCON 18 Badge
    Last edited by TheCotMan; May 7, 2010, 16:21.

Re: Defcon 18 badge-related tweets and rumors

Is there any update on what the paper badges will look like? I'm really looking forward to a hologram or color shifting text or something. Those badges are fun.

Comment

No matter how carefully you plan or how early you start, something will always go wrong. Let the drama begin! #DEFCON 18 Badge
      When did it actually 'begin'? I was under the impression that the goal was to have badges done by xmas. I'm under further impression that the process didn't begin until a month or so ago...

Comment

Originally posted by flea View Post
        When did it actually 'begin'? I was under the impression that the goal was to have badges done by xmas. I'm under further impression that the process didn't begin until a month or so ago...
        flea, you are under the wrong impression.
        PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Tangent View Post
          flea, you are under the wrong impression.
          I don't doubt it, that's why I said it's was my impression :) which part was I wrong about?

Comment

I've just gone back to pull out tweets from Joe Grand that reference "badge" for Defcon 18 since Defcon 17 and include dates. This is only *public* discussion about the badge -- the same information anyone can get from twitter.

This is also useful as a summary of information in tweets from Joe Grand for people wanting to prepare an environment for coding, or interested in hardware being used.

Originally posted by JoeGrand
            (9:29 PM Aug 14th, 2009) Now it's time to start preparing for #DEFCON 18. Badges by Christmas? Something like that! :)
            (3:32 PM Feb 6th) RT @14311: Had a planning chat with @joegrand last night. #defcon 18 badges are gonna be sick!! <- Indeed. Maybe the best ones yet!
            (5:11 PM Feb 17th) Finalizing the #DEFCON 18 badge production schematic and BOM. No, the badges aren't done yet. Not even close! :P
            (12:37 PM Feb 18th) Working on final PCB layout for the #DEFCON 18 badge. For those keeping score, the prototype circuitry worked after minor tweaks.
            (2:51 PM Feb 18th) Just ordered the batteries for the #DEFCON 18 badges. Yup, we're using the CR2032 again!
            ( 6:11 PM Feb 18th) I had no idea how complicated it is to select a suitable pressure-sensitive adhesive tape. #DEFCON 18 badge.
            Originally posted by openfly
            (6:47 PM Feb 18th) @joegrand I hope you added lots of breakout pin holes.
            (7:30 PM Feb 18th) @openfly I can neither confirm nor deny the existence or non-existence of breakout/prototyping holes on the #DEFCON 18 badge.
            (11:57 AM Feb 19th) Ordering production quantities of the discrete components for #DEFCON 18 badge.
            Originally posted by framerate
            (11:59 AM Feb 19th) @joegrand Go go customs! 2010 is the year for you to NOT fuck up the delivery! ;)
            (7:00 PM Feb 19th) @framerate We've got some plans to avoid Customs problems. Just hope they work :P
            (7:03 PM Feb 19th) Yup, Freescale MC56F8006VLC. Get your development environment set up early!
            Originally posted by openfly
            (7:07 PM Feb 19th) @joegrand you don't by any chance have a line on their reference tablets do you?
            (3:00 PM Feb 20th) For #DEFCON 18 badge development, you will need CodeWarrior for 56800/E Digital Signal Controllers. Free at: http://tinyurl.com/yzcoplg
            (3:03 PM Feb 20th) MC56F8006VLC technical overview and documentation at http://tinyurl.com/yjtkczz Check the #DEFCON forums for badge hacking inf0z later...
            (3:00 PM Feb 20th) For #DEFCON 18 badge development, you will need CodeWarrior for 56800/E Digital Signal Controllers. Free at: http://tinyurl.com/yzcoplg
            (11:36 PM Feb 21st) @joegrand Well mark my words, I'll buy you a beer (or whatever you like) if the badges are all there for registration :) DT too if he wants
            (7:27 AM Feb 22nd) @framerate Oh, they will be. I'll take a root beer!
            Originally posted by snowchyld
            (10:27 AM Feb 22nd) @joegrand did you use any of the ideas we sent ;)
            (7:46 PM Feb 22nd) @snowchyld Maybe, maybe not! ;)
            (9:58 AM Feb 23rd) The pièce de résistance of the #DEFCON 18 badge has been ordered. Wait until you see this thing. So cool.
            Originally posted by DougonIPComm
            (6:21 PM Feb 23rd) @_defcon_ @joegrand Does the #DEFCON 18 badge have frickin' lasers?
            (11:41 PM Feb 23rd) @DougonIPComm I can neither confirm nor deny the existence or non-existence of frickin' lasers on the #DEFCON 18 badge.
            (3:22 PM Feb 26th) RT @14311: laying down inks on the #defcon 18 badge art! coming out pretty nice! <- OMG, that is an understatement. The artwork looks SICK!
            (7:47 PM Mar 3rd) You mean the #DEFCON 18 badge *components* have been ordered. They are far from done. Still need to finish PCB design, write firmware, etc.
            Originally posted by MisterGlass
            (8:02 PM Mar 3rd) @joegrand Please tell me you found someone else to code the firmware this time.
            (8:46 PM Mar 3rd) RT @MisterGlass: Please tell me you found someone else to code the firmware this time. <- Nope. What's the problem?
            (3:07 PM Mar 4th) Packing boxes full of #DEFCON 18 badge components to ship to e-Teknet. Over 300k individual pieces.
            (5:44 PM Mar 4th) Importing final graphics and cutouts onto #DEFCON 18 badge PCB. @14311 is an art master.
            Originally posted by brennantom
            (3:18 PM Mar 4th) @joegrand so defcon will acutally have badges this year on time yippie :)
            (6:50 PM Mar 4th) @brennantom If it were only that easy! Still lots to do and lots of things that need to go right. But, that's the fun of it :P
            (10:04 AM Mar 8th) Ordering pre-production prototypes of the #DEFCON 18 Badge. HW is locked in and low-level drivers done. Now to work on firmware.
            Originally posted by asiverly
            (10:06 AM Mar 8th) @joegrand please order a ton more / I don't want a blank board again.
            (10:38 AM Mar 8th) @asiverly That is up to @thedarktangent and is a harder choice than many think. Numbers have already been decided and components ordered.
            ( 8:07 PM Mar 24th) DC18 Badge Call-for-Integration: Doing something for #DEFCON 18 and want the badge to do something for you? http://tinyurl.com/yfqtjdk
            Originally posted by Engineer_in_MKT
            (9:42 PM Mar 24th) @joegrand do you want to giveaway a couple of DSC 56F8006 boards to the #DEFCON crowd ?
            (11:25 AM Mar 25th) @Engineer_in_MKT Absolutely! Those would be great awards for the #DEFCON Badge Hacking Contest :)
            (11:27 AM Mar 25th) All #DEFCON 18 Badge components have been received, processed, and shipped to e-Teknet. Still working on firmware...
            (9:07 PM Mar 30th) RT @_defcon_: Only 2 days left for #DEFCON 18 badge call for integration. Details at: https://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?p=112333
            (Added datestamps to the samples quoted in the top post:)

(8:22 PM Apr 30th) The #DEFCON 18 Badge prototypes have arrived! http://imgur.com/NzTOI.jpg
            (12:27 AM May 1st) After 6 hours of debugging hell thanks to poor quality PCB assembly, the #DEFCON 18 Badge final hardware has been approved!
            (12:29 AM May 1st) We'll start production PCB fab on Monday! Still need to wrap up firmware design and I have about a month to do so. #DEFCON
            (1:14 AM May 1st) @joegrand what ever happened to 'ready by dec 2009' ;)
            (1:01 PM May 1st) @snowchyld That wasn't my idea :P
            (1:39 PM May 1st) @joegrand lies, i do recall you agreeing to that in front of a few hundrad defcon participants ;)
            (4:08 PM May 4th) #DEFCON 18 Badge firmware update: Low-level routines and basic state machine done, some hidden features added. So far, so good.
            Originally posted by ThisIsHNN
            (8:06 PM May 5th) Just got word from @joegrand that the HNN secret code has been embedded into the @defcon badge, good luck decyphering it! Mwahahaha
            (10:39 PM May 5th) @ThisIsHNN Uhrrr, so much for keeping that a secret!
            (7:31 AM May 7th) Ordering additional components for the #DEFCON 18 badge. DT made a last minute decision to make 1000+ more!
            (11:18 AM May 7th) Just bought the last known quantity of Freescale MC56F8006VLC available in the US. Now I have microcontrollers for the extra #DEFCON badges.
            Originally posted by daftdoki
            (12:28 PM May 7th) @joegrand >|< 10k this year?
            (2:34 PM May 7th) @daftdoki 7,780 if all goes well.
            (2:25 PM May 7th) Shocked @ production pricing for #DEFCON 18 badge fab & assembly. 4x higher than initial estimate. e-Teknet fail. Looking at other options.
            (2:32 PM May 7th) @joegrand So e-Teknet can't produce the PCB's at a reasonable price per unit??? What fell apart on thier end? They have been great in past.
            (3:04 PM May 7th) @zrevai We're doing some complicated fabrication, but the latest pricing has caught us off guard and way out of our budget. #DEFCON 18
            (3:35 PM May 7th) @joegrand #DEFCON 18, Bummer :( So hopefully you can find a way to get them assembled A.S.A.P. Sounds like an amazing badge.
            (4:07 PM May 7th) No matter how carefully you plan or how early you start, something will always go wrong. Let the drama begin! #DEFCON 18 Badge
            (4:52 PM May 7th) @joegrand awww what happened man?
            Added after edit:
            (~3:00am May 12) #DEFCON 18 Badge firmware update: Main functionality complete! Implementing final secret mode.
            Originally posted by astcell
            (~12:00pm May12) @joegrand is it still secret if it's twittered?
            (~1:00pm May12) @astcell Yes, because you still don't know what it is :P #DEFCON
            After Edit:
            (~4:00pm May 18) #DEFCON 18 Badge disaster averted! Figured out a solution w/ e-Teknet for our complicated process. PCB fabrication is now underway!
            (~4:00pm May 18) We investigated many other on- and off-shore options, but all were too risky logistically. Thanks for all recommendations. #DEFCON 18 Badge
            Last edited by TheCotMan; May 18, 2010, 18:07.

Comment

Originally posted by flea View Post
              Ah but it wasn't specified WHICH Christmas.

Comment

Less than 8K badges. So a couple K will probably get stuck with a paper badge again this year, eh? Get their early on THUR, y'all! :-)

Comment

Working...
                X