• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crash And Compile

Have you ever been a part of this conversation:

"I feel like entering a programming contest."
    "That sounds boring. I feel like drinking!"
    "Hey! Let's do both!"

Then you need to enter Crash And Compile, The Programming Contest Drinking Game!

The game goes like this: You register a team of 1 or 2 people. You bring a computer with your dev environment of choice to DefCon. Everyone grabs a drink and a programming problem, and starts coding.

- If your code fails to compile, you take a drink.
    - If your code compiles, but fails to run, you take a drink.
    - If you code runs but produces the wrong output, you take a drink.
    - The first team to successfully complete the problem gets 3 points. Everyone still working drinks.
    - The second team to successfully complete the problem gets 2 points. Everyone still working drinks.
    - The third team to successfully complete the problem gets 1 point. Everyone still working drinks.

The winner is the team who is the most smashed at the end of the night. We might hand out a few prizes to the nerds who can actually write code too. ;-)

We're looking for about 10 teams of 1 or 2 people. If you think your code looks better when you're drunk, sign up!

We're also looking for two additional teams:

- Team Control Group: If you are (like me) a t-totaler, or somehow got suckered into being the designated driver for the evening, we can still use your help. TCG doesn't actually compete for points (or drinks, obviously), but if any competing team completes a problem before TCG, then everyone still working takes a drink. (That is, if you can program better drunk than TCG can sober, that is deserving of a drink for everyone else.)

- Team Distraction: Do all the nerds' gazes follow you as you walk down the isle in the terminal lab to the green bar printer to pick up the results of your most recent job? Can you make a pocket protector look sexy? Then we invite you to join Team Distraction! TD can have as many entrants as we can squeeze on my lap^W^W^Win the room, so don't be shy.

If you think Crash And Compile is your cup of Long Island Ice Tea, DM me (SmittyHalibut) with the following:

Subject: Crash And Compile team
    1: Team Name
    2: Entrants names/handles
    3: Entrants email addresses (Don't worry, I won't spam you or do anything else nefarious. This will be used ONLY for communication directly related to Crash And Compile at DefCon18.)

More details on the game rules and what you'll need to bring with you will be sent later.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

Re: Crash And Compile

I saw DT's reply to your tweet on this. Generate some interest. If people are interested in competing? drinking? both? your next step will be deciding where you would like to run the contest. If you plan to run this on the contest floor, please follow the request for info pushed by Pyr0. If you plan to use some other space, you'll need to get an OK from the person that is running that space. If you plan to run this contest off-site, but still want it on the main site and the program, just get a nod from DT and we can make that happen, too.

In addition to getting your request for space, and generating interest in your contest/event, the may also be another round of request for information when the Defcon Program is being created.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
      I saw DT's reply to your tweet on this. Generate some interest. If people are interested in competing? drinking? both? your next step will be deciding where you would like to run the contest. If you plan to run this on the contest floor, please follow the request for info pushed by Pyr0. If you plan to use some other space, you'll need to get an OK from the person that is running that space. If you plan to run this contest off-site, but still want it on the main site and the program, just get a nod from DT and we can make that happen, too.

In addition to getting your request for space, and generating interest in your contest/event, the may also be another round of request for information when the Defcon Program is being created.
      I've actually already sent an email to Pyr0 with all the info (and then some) he requested in that thread. I'm HOPING to do this in a Skybox, but I really don't know what my options are.

Comment

Originally posted by SmittyHalibut View Post
        I've actually already sent an email to Pyr0 with all the info (and then some) he requested in that thread. I'm HOPING to do this in a Skybox, but I really don't know what my options are.
        <voice:Mr Burns>Excellent.</voice>.

I checked with DT, and he approved the contest, but you will still need to work out the space with Pyr0 for a skybox or the contest floor, or someone else if another space is desired, and then promote the contest to generate interest.

Expect a forum to appear here in the next 15 minutes or so. I'll move this thread to the forum and leave a redirect from the old location. (Done. Please let me know if you want a different description for the forum. Present description: "Coding, compiling, competition, consumption (of alcohol) -- think of the fun!") If you have a twitter feed or website/pages for it, let me know the links for those, and I can add them to the end of the description like a few other forums.)

While you work on that, I'll be making a forum for it and contacting Neil to get it referenced from the main Defcon 18 page(s).

Good luck!
        Last edited by TheCotMan; May 13th, 2010, 08:35.

Comment

I'd be interested in being a control group, if I have time. When are you planning on running this competition, and how long do you expect it to run?

Also, if TCG finishes first, can we mock & mislead the drunken teams?
          It's not stupid, it's advanced.

Comment

Skyboxes are controlled by Grifter, not contests. You will need to speak to him to see if there is any available space. If this event is going to run for a single evening (5 hours - according to the RFI) and you expect it to draw a big crowd then I think it would be great to host it on a stage (like we do with 10,000 cent & Jeopardy). I'll talk to the planning team and get back to you on this.

-Pyr0

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
            <voice:Mr Burns>Excellent.</voice>.

I checked with DT, and he approved the contest, but you will still need to work out the space with Pyr0 for a skybox or the contest floor, or someone else if another space is desired, and then promote the contest to generate interest.

Expect a forum to appear here in the next 15 minutes or so. I'll move this thread to the forum and leave a redirect from the old location. (Done. Please let me know if you want a different description for the forum. Present description: "Coding, compiling, competition, consumption (of alcohol) -- think of the fun!") If you have a twitter feed or website/pages for it, let me know the links for those, and I can add them to the end of the description like a few other forums.)

While you work on that, I'll be making a forum for it and contacting Neil to get it referenced from the main Defcon 18 page(s).

Good luck!

Comment

TheCotMan: That description is just fine. Thanks. I'm working on the webpage tonight. I'm, uhh, not a web developer (which puts it mildly) so if anyone is interested in helping with some HTML, feel free to speak up. :-) It'll be http://dc18.crashandcompile.com/

I do have @CrashAndCompile setup now, though. You can link to that.

Pyr0: I'll talk to Grifter. Thanks.

Comment

Oops, forgot to say this: Big crowd: I'm not sure how big a crowd it is likely to draw. People I talk to see to think it's a good idea, but I haven't gotten any teams to sign up yet *HINT* *HINT* And besides, I realize that drinking can be considered a spectator sport in some cases, but programming contests rarely are. There will be long times when nothing is going on, from a spectator's view point.

Then again, I could be totally wrong. Let's see what kind of a reaction we get from people first.

Which leads me to another question posed here: When and Where?

When: I've requested an evening from 8pm until whenever (shooting for 1am, give or take an hour). Given that we're the FNG (the fuckin' new game), I'm not expecting to get center stage on Saturday night, against Jeopardy. More than anything, it depends on what is available when.

Where: Again, I've requested a Skybox, but it depends on what is available when. So we don't have any of this set in stone yet.

Comment

Smitty!

Awesome!

Wish I had time to play-

Comment

Fun idea for a contest. :)

Smitty - assuming you're running it on Friday night (hope so, Saturday would probably not be the best idea) we'll definitely throw in some Ninja Badges and table swag for the winners if you're interested.

-barkode

Comment

Friday night is the plan, but like I said, it depends on what is available when. I'm really hoping I don't have to go to Thursday, and I agree that Saturday is already spread damn thin. Friday really is the ideal time for it.

Thanks for the swag! That would be awesome. We're planning a few little things for winners of individual problems, but haven't come up with a big prize for the final winner yet. Still considering that.

PLUS! We're still looking for Team Distraction! I've put out feelers (so to speak) to a few possibilities, but the more the merrier. Bring on the pretty people to keep us from what we're supposed to be doing!

Comment

Smitty, I could help with some distraction. We'll talk ;)

Comment

http://dc18.crashandcompile.com/ is up and running.

Good lord, I can't write a webpage to save my life... Anyone with some ACTUAL HTML skill want to volunteer to help me? There will likely be some cool swag in it for ya... :-)

LosT: You know how to get a hold of me. :-D

Comment

Originally posted by SmittyHalibut View Post
                            http://dc18.crashandcompile.com/ is up and running.

Good lord, I can't write a webpage to save my life... Anyone with some ACTUAL HTML skill want to volunteer to help me? There will likely be some cool swag in it for ya... :-)

LosT: You know how to get a hold of me. :-D
                            I've altered the description of this forum to include a link to the mentioned site with a link name of (site.).

Good luck!

Comment

You are, as they say, The Man(tm). Think I could get one of those spiffy Twitter links too? @CrashAndCompile

Comment

Working...
                              X