Safecracking Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safecracking Contest

Here's a sort of official announcement. Heh, i may run a small safecracking contest at DEFCON.

One of my cop buddies told me about a load of safes they had down at the local precinct which couldn't be opened. They were mostly small models. They were not believed to contain anything (or anything really good, that is) but who knows.

He gave me one. I've been lugging this little Sentry safe to all the local, drivable cons i've attended. Thus far, no one has opened it. Not at CarolinaCon, NotACon, or QuahogCon. I'll likely bring it up to HOPE since i'll be driving there, too.

If it's still unopened at the end of July, i'll up the ante and offer a kickass prize to anyone who can open it at DEFCON. (Maybe i'll pay for your admission to DEFCON next year, or perhaps i'll be more imaginative)

I wanna see someone get this open... and it'd be more exciting for me if you folk do it than to just have it opened at a TOOOL meeting.

P.S. - and yes, you get to keep whatever is inside as long as it's not highly illegal.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: Safecracking Contest

For clarity sake, and knowing how some people <cough> renderman <cough> are about "if it isn't stated in the rules that it's fair game..." I would surmise that you want this to be via skilled, non-destructive (i.e.undoing the lock a la Jimmy Valentine) methods?

After all, most small Sentry fire safes can be peeled in under ten minutes with a hammer and a cold chisel, but the skill set is much lower. Even though it might still be described as "safe cracking"; just with extra emphasis on "cracking."
    Thorn
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Glad my reputation is still standing with regards to my interpretation of rules :)

Is it possible to know ahead of time the make/model of the safe, or even a pic of it?

I would like to know what I'm getting into ahead of time.
      Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Originally posted by renderman View Post
        Glad my reputation is still standing with regards to my interpretation of rules :)

Is it possible to know ahead of time the make/model of the safe, or even a pic of it?

I would like to know what I'm getting into ahead of time.

What's the fun in that? You've already achieved godlike status when you cracked that safe live at Shmoocon. Doing research ahead of time in your case would be akin to cheating. :)
        A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
          What's the fun in that? You've already achieved godlike status when you cracked that safe live at Shmoocon. Doing research ahead of time in your case would be akin to cheating. :)
          All true, all true.

However those cheap fire safes at Costco are usually so bad that normal techniques won't work. Need to brush up. I need a new safe anyways, so if I can write it off as research, all the better.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
            I would surmise that you want this to be via skilled, non-destructive (i.e.undoing the lock a la Jimmy Valentine) methods?
            yeah, hah... that was my intention.

Originally posted by renderman View Post
            well... there's a photo of it in my book that's coming out in about a month. (i won't link to it as a possible rule violation... but if you do an amazon search for my nick you should be able to find it)

beyond that, i am happy to say that it has both a conventional safe dial as well as a cross lock on the front. i do not believe that they are two independent routes of access... they are a dual-custody system (i think) which is pretty cool.

i'll try to grab the model number the next time i'm in the TOOOL headquarters (that is to say, our garage)

Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
            You've already achieved godlike status when you cracked that safe live at Shmoocon.
            that was a fun talk.
            "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
            - Trent Reznor

Comment

The universe works in funny ways.

Got a call today from my Mother who was helping out at a garage sale. They had a safe for sale but someone put the combination inside it and locked it, no one knows the combination to get it open. It's not worth a pro to come out since they would just cut it open anyways and the safe is'nt worth that much money.

Long story short, if I open it in a week, I get it free, if not, it's $50 for a decent little safe.

I sense lots of evenings on the floor watching movies while dialing this thing.

Comment

Actually Deviant's safe is the mystery box this year. Have fun!

;)

Comment

Originally posted by LosT View Post
                  Actually Deviant's safe is the mystery box this year. Have fun!

;)
                  Part of me actually wants to believe that....

Comment

I sure hope this makes it to Defcon : )

Dev, are you saying it has a combo lock and a cruciform lock (like the Papaiz locks)? All the safes on Sentry's website that used two locks were either tubular or lever as the secondary, so I'm real curious to find out what model this safe is.

(Note: Admittedly, I did not look very hard on Sentry's website.)

dg

Comment

Originally posted by datagram View Post
                      I sure hope this makes it to Defcon : )
                      i hope so, too. heh, it's the one thing i'll have to ship since i can't open it up for inspection when we fly.

Originally posted by datagram View Post
                      Dev, are you saying it has a combo lock and a cruciform lock
                      as far as i can tell, yes. here are some photos.
                      - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
                        i hope so, too. heh, it's the one thing i'll have to ship since i can't open it up for inspection when we fly.

as far as i can tell, yes. here are some photos.
                        Yeah, definitely a cruciform lock...I wonder how many pins? I'm guessing this is like their other double lock models where the cruciform cam interfaces to a direct drive combo lock. Should be easy to open and decode if the cruciform is easy to pick.

dg

Comment

Dev, I should be able to transport said safe across the country. I will be driving to both hope and defcon.

Comment

Originally posted by 15289577 View Post
                            Dev, I should be able to transport said safe across the country. I will be driving to both hope and defcon.
                            you rule. i really didn't wanna ship this thing.
                            - Trent Reznor

Comment

Cruciform should be easy to pick as they have notoriously little variation in the pins & if datagram is right & it's direct-drive we should be able to crack this bastage. I say you save it for DefCon as I'll be surprised if they can't open it at HOPE.

Comment

Working...
                              X