HHV Call for Volunteers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HHV Call for Volunteers

Due to a few of the HHV volunteers from last year not being able to make it/having other commitments, we have a few slots open for volunteers. The volunteers in the HHV help keep things running smoothly and try to keep our visitors from starting anything on fire.

You WON'T get a red goon badge or any sort of free room credit at the Riv, but the kind of person we're looking for to be a HHV volunteer will be spending time in the village anyway.

Post here (or send me a PM) with past involvement with the HHV, any references you can provide, or just how awesome of a person you are. A Ph.D. in EE isn't required but having at least some hardware experience will be handy as folks will be asking you for help.

-A

Re: HHV Call for Volunteers

Okay here is my perspective from 2 HHVs tours of duty. Be able to answer the same question 1000 times in a way that does not drive people away. Have knowledge of soldering techniques and be able to demostrate them. Be able to help troubleshooting circuits. Be able to help people from not hurting each other, the building or equipment in a firm but ... non-asshole kinda of way. The village is an open learning enviroment where some people just come to hang the entire CON or stop by to work on their badge hack. Oh #1 issue.. be able to inhale lots of lead based solder smoke and survive.

The HHV is a blast if you have not been there but its a high traffic area so its loud, smelly and non-stop. It makes the CON for me as I get to meet like minded individuals and its fun to introduce code monkeys to the hardware side as well as bringing some younger people into the hobby.

I will be there agin this year for tour #3 and enjoy every minute of it!!

Comment

Perhaps I may be of assistance.

I was hanging around HHV a lot last year and I'm awesome, just ask anybody.

Comment

Originally posted by DCFluX View Post
        Perhaps I may be of assistance.

I was hanging around HHV a lot last year and I'm awesome, just ask anybody.
        I will vouch for him... he is awesome... plus he is good at presentations.

Comment

Hi, Guys!

I've confirmed with "A" that I'll be volunteering again this year; I'm not a frequent defcon-forum-poster, but you may remember me from last year. Afterburn and I spent a lot of time working the "counter on the right".

Who'll be missing this year, from last year's group?

I'm a West-Coaster now (moved from NYC), so I might drive it this year, and bring more gear/spareparts/tools in my vehicle than I can on a plane. I plan to get in on Thursday.

Looking forward to it!

Ryan

Comment

I'm planning on spending about half the conference in the HHV. I'm happy to help where I can.

btw, I also agree, DCFluX was very helpful last year.

Comment

I'm new to DEFCON, but I would like to offer to help.

I'm speaking about hardware hacking (search the speaker page for "tulsa"). I have experience helping people with microcontrollers though being a teaching assistant for a class about assembly language and embedded systems.

I can also solder really well.

Let me know if I can be of any help or if there's any equipment you are trying to hunt down.
              @Six_Volts

Comment

Originally posted by bombnav View Post
                ... Oh #1 issue.. be able to inhale lots of lead based solder smoke and survive...
                After three decades of such exposure, I'm still around. I'm sure a couple of more days won't hurt! I think the key is to drink enough solvent (beer)...

As I mentioned on another thread, I'd love to help out. I'm overlanding to the con; I'm bringing some junk to donate and will be happy to haul some off. I'll be showing up at the Riv sometime Wednesday evening, going to the shoot Thursday morning, and then I'll be around and open to help with setup or whatever.

I'm an embedded systems guy with many years experience in prototype fab, design, firmware, and making things happen that other folks say can't. I tend to be a bit of a lecturer (some of my engineers think I should go prof); so if talks are still in the works I could whip something up.
                TSA luvs my Uzi.

"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time." -T.S. Eliot

Comment

I am available and helped out last year (as a last minute fill in). I will be hanging out at the HHV anyway, most of the time.

TieShort
                  -------------------------------------
                  Vaka vanha Väinämöinen
                  käski nuoren, käski vanhan

Comment

IIRC, SugarDaddy referred to me as The Hardware Hacking Village Rock Star last year. Granted, this might have been because I _ACTUALLY_ talked Jeff into letting me borrow his Uber badge for the weekend so I could assemble Super Ultra Mekka Badge! Or maybe it's because, for reasons COMPLETELY unknown to me, I tended to form a huge mob of people around me every time I started talking about some random topic or other, or demo'd soldering techniques, or similar....

I'll understand if you don't want me back. ;-)

In all seriousness, I'd like to help out. I'm running Crash and Compile Saturday night, so Sunday morning is probably not an ideal slot for me. :-) Otherwise, give me a shift or two and I'll be there. I might stick around longer than that too. (You'll be trying to get rid of me by the end of the weekend; most people are.)

If we're looking for presentation topics, I'm usually pretty good at demonstrating soldering techniques. I tried a basic electronics thing a couple years ago that, due to the lack of anything even resembling preparation on my part, didn't go so well (I swear, it would have been better if I had a white board. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by SmittyHalibut View Post
                      IIRC, SugarDaddy referred to me as The Hardware Hacking Village Rock Star last year.
                      Ahh humility, the #1 attribute we look for in a volunteer. ;)

I'm still getting the list together. Be on the lookout for a complete volunteer list posted this weekend.

Thanks to all of those that have tossed their hat into the ring, and there is still about a day left to do so if you're on the fence about it.

Comment

Don't forget Vegas 2.0 has a bunch of crap we have been storing for you all year! We will return it for use (please some stuff we would like to off load) at HHV. At end of con, we will be more than happy to store it again!
                        "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

Originally posted by SmittyHalibut View Post
                          (I swear, it would have been better if I had a white board. :-)
                          can we make this white board happen? we had the one we wrote talks on last year but it'd be really useful to have one for presentations. anyone have one they can bring?

i know tie short mentioned he had some over here:
                          Originally posted by TieShort View Post
                          I am driving up with some friends again, and have room. I am planning on bringing the white boards again (though maybe only one as they didn't get used).
                          Tie Short
                          i don't remember seeing them but if you could...that'd be awesome!
                          Last edited by afterburn188; July 9th, 2010, 18:31. Reason: saw tieshort's cross post
                          afterburn

Comment

I think the hard part was hanging them; the Riv doesn't like us drilling screws into their walls. Anyone have an easel?

Comment

these things:
                              http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...e&tag=kkorg-20

work pretty great for what we're talking about (not as good as a "real" whitboard, but they're portable, disposable, and don't need to screw to the wall)

I'll bring a pad of those.

Comment

Working...
                              X