prepaid 3g data plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prepaid 3g data plan

Don't know if this is the right forum ..
    I'm coming over from Europe and need to be able to get online during my stay. I would be super happy if someone could tell me where i can find the cheapest prepaid data plan (unlimited) if it even exist? I'm arriving super early so I can't solely depend on the DC net.

- Nithe

Re: prepaid 3g data plan

If your phone uses a SIM card, T-Mobile offers a no-contract calling + texting + internet plan. You can get 500 minutes + unlimited text and web. They offer a SIM-only option, so you can just put the SIM card into your phone and be up and running. (This assumes that your phone will accept the SIM, which you will want to verify.)

Otherwise, you can get an AT&T Go Phone, but I didn't see that they had a SIM-only, so you'll be buying a phone, but you may be able to take the SIM card out. The data on this plan, however, is not unlimited as far as I could find.
    Coffee is a lost art, best not left to Starbucks.
    I brew the beer I drink.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeon View Post
      If your phone uses a SIM card, T-Mobile offers a no-contract calling + texting + internet plan. You can get 500 minutes + unlimited text and web. They offer a SIM-only option, so you can just put the SIM card into your phone and be up and running. (This assumes that your phone will accept the SIM, which you will want to verify.)

Otherwise, you can get an AT&T Go Phone, but I didn't see that they had a SIM-only, so you'll be buying a phone, but you may be able to take the SIM card out. The data on this plan, however, is not unlimited as far as I could find.
      There will be wifi at the con, if that is what you want to use.

You can also invest in a cricket card, its what i use. Its not fast but it works and is 40dollars a month unlimited. The card will cost you around 100$ up front and you get a mail in rebate.

Unfortunately we don't offer the data/cell rental plans that the EU has :(
      Originally posted by Ellen
      Do I wish we could all be like hexjunkie? Heck yes I do. :) That would rock.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeon View Post
        Sounds like what i'm after. I can use my old N900 as a modem.. now can u tell me where i can get it and what price, I'll consider buying u a beer or 2.

Comment

any store will carry the sim cards. Look up any of the sim card carriers with a pay as you go plan.

AT&T
          T-Mobile

are the two larger GSM options. AT&T has decent reception at the hotel, but the 3G network is bogged down form all the iPhone users.
          Originally posted by Ellen
          Do I wish we could all be like hexjunkie? Heck yes I do. :) That would rock.

Comment

thx this was useful. Remind me i ow you a couple of beer if you see me..

Comment

I find the USB VirginMobile EVDO fits my needs and is $99 one time and then you just get refill cards which are good for a month. 1gb is $60 i think. Here is the adapter from BestBuy here in the states... http://bit.ly/aM74q5
              Speed is so-so but works great for normal bandwidth reqs. Works with win/mac and linux if you give it some tlc.

I liked it mainly cuz I can feed it crap info, fake name/address etc... no contract and go to a store pay cash for the refill card. Hope they haven't changed that since I used it last year :)

Just my 2 cents.

nick8ch

Comment

Originally posted by Nithe View Post
                thx this was useful. Remind me i ow you a couple of beer if you see me..
                Also...ebay works wonders for me. I've bought cheap phones and sim cards on there. Also, amazon isn't too bad an option either. If it helps to know this, there is a Fry's in Vegas and you KNOW you can get what you need there.
                "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

Originally posted by Nikita View Post
                  Also...ebay works wonders for me. I've bought cheap phones and sim cards on there. Also, amazon isn't too bad an option either. If it helps to know this, there is a Fry's in Vegas and you KNOW you can get what you need there.
                  Cool, I have some days to kill before DC, that b an excellent activity. Is it far?

Comment

Cool, I have some days to kill before DC, that b an excellent activity. Is it far?
                    Google produced this link, with a map, address and phone number. Doesn't look to be too far from the Airport, so I guess it's not far at all then, A ten minute cab ride maybe?
                    "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

Thats walking distance.. Cool.

Comment

Thats walking distance.. Cool.
                        No, it's not. It's about 6 mi (10km) from the Riviera to Fry's. In Las Vegas desert heat in July-August at approximately 100F (37C) and the very low humidity, walking that distance is suicidal unless you're very used to the conditions.
                        Thorn
                        "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
                          No, it's not. It's about 6 mi (10km) from the Riviera to Fry's. In Las Vegas desert heat in July-August at approximately 100F (37C) and the very low humidity, walking that distance is suicidal unless you're very used to the conditions.
                          Thinning of the herd, Thorn...
                          And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
                            Thinning of the herd, Thorn...
                            Ah. A very good point.

Nithe, feel free to walk.
                            Thorn
                            "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
                              Ah. A very good point.

Nithe, feel free to walk.
                              Don't forget the black shirt, pants, and trenchcoat.
                              Aut disce aut discede

Comment

Working...
                              X