Badge Props

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Badge Props

Props to Joe Grand on a great badge design this year. In case you didn't notice, it's basically a freescale development environment in the shape of a badge. You can reprogram at will and flash it back to the original code (included on the DEFCON CD) if you want the original functionality back.

For those who had their heads firmly planted up their ass the entire con, check out the Ninja badges:

http://www.ninjas.org/badges/defcon18.html

Over the top - even managed to cause a DoS on the Aruba wireless gear.
    No, I will not fix your computer.

Re: Badge Props

Sorry, but the defcon badge sucked yet again. The only plus is that the battery didn't die.

The ninjas badge, on the other hand, was supremely awesome. Why? Because it facilitated communication.

Kallahar
    --- The fuck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon?

Comment

Originally posted by kallahar View Post
      Sorry, but the defcon badge sucked yet again. The only plus is that the battery didn't die.

The ninjas badge, on the other hand, was supremely awesome. Why? Because it facilitated communication.

Kallahar
      The defcon badge did not suck! the defcon badge just has a different design goal than the ninja badge. The defcon badges are art! They are beautiful, lightweight, clean, long lasting, and hackable! Do the ninja badges have an USB bookloader? The ninja badges are "industrial" (sorta ugly), heavy, geeky, require large batteries, but are practical for the purpose of playing are really cool social game. Personally, I appreciate both badges and the hard work that goes in to them.

Comment

Originally posted by kallahar View Post

Kallahar
        I think the takeaway here is that this year's badge was much more accessible. Personally, I was excited to spot the mini-USB breakout on the badge -- it meant I had a chance at hacking it. For the hardcore hardware people though, I can understand the disappointment. I didn't hear about badge blimps or any of that madness happening up in the HHV, though the winning hack sounded awesome.

I've yet to get around to hacking my badge, but a nice person on the forums did point me in the right direction. Of course, I think a lot of people were shocked when they had no electronic badge to hack. Thus, I can see how it 'sucks' but also how it was well worth giving props.

Not to mention, Joe (Kingpin) does a great job getting all these things built and tested every year. I'm certain no one meant to cast those efforts in a bad light, rather to give an opinion.

And yes, the ninja badges were awesome. That said, I didn't have the chance to get anywhere near touching one. In that respect, the Defcon badge was better-- it was mine. ;)

Comment

Any badge with my wang on it is a win in my book. Just wish I could have continued wanging new con arrivals through Saturday.

Comment

As someone who just got around to putting on the JTAG header and is starting to properly hack the badge, I'm quite happy with it, and particularly impressed at the badge's functionality while maintaining a badge-like form factor.

Also, I found that the badge did indeed encourage conversation, at least for the first day or two when people were trying to figure out how the badge worked and how to unlock the ninja party. I had some good conversations based on catching people talking about badge hacking and figuring out what was on it.

I just wish I had a chance to JTAG dump the firmware while I was there, I figured there had to be some hidden stuff, but I didn't get the chance.

Comment

@kallahar: "Sorry, but the defcon badge sucked yet again." Yet again, a finely crafted useful piece of information. You should have traded it in for a paper badge and given it to many others who would have appreciated it.

@everyone else: Glad you liked it :)

Joe

Comment

lol my only gripe for badges was how <rumor mill> there were only 6500 of them for the whole con </rumor mill>. seriously, fully functional badges go for hundreds of dollars on ebay AFTER the con, is it seriously assumed that if we order too many of them they wont all sell?!

it was super cool how they came pre assembled this year tho, popped in a usb cable and a few googles later i was hacking away, not bad for a hardware nub ;)

also the artwork on the front was pretty sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by Vyrus View Post
                  lol my only gripe for badges was how <rumor mill> there were only 6500 of them for the whole con </rumor mill>. seriously, fully functional badges go for hundreds of dollars on ebay AFTER the con, is it seriously assumed that if we order too many of them they wont all sell?!
                  I agree.
                  Running out of badges on Thu, is not a good thing.
                  IMO... Order a minimum of 10,000 badges for next year.
                  “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Comment

Joe: my 6th year and the best badge yet. Nice small form factor too. I'm not a hardware guy, but found this badge very hackable, and it allowed me to meet a ton of people to collaborate on working on different portions, i.e the QR barcode, the Chinese characters, etc. For the first time I was able to access the internal code via the USB which rocked.

@MisterVandal: my humble advice: if you agree to be part of the badge challenge, don't run away like a 5 year old when people come up to ask about your "wang". You shut down several of us (I'm sure more) when asked, with nothing more then a "It might be about me, I dunno" as you ran out of the conference room.

Comment

Originally posted by Padre View Post
                      @MisterVandal: my humble advice: if you agree to be part of the badge challenge, don't run away like a 5 year old when people come up to ask about your "wang". You shut down several of us (I'm sure more) when asked, with nothing more then a "It might be about me, I dunno" as you ran out of the conference room.
                      You know, "agree" is such a funny word. Honestly, I had no idea it was there til I got to Con and started to get asked about it. Eris and Siviak worked on the badge clue for the scavenger hunt, I was/am away working overseas, so some of the stuff wasn't exactly ran past me. As for my quick to make haste after 101, well there's a few reasons, one is that it was a scavenger hunt item and the list wasn't going to be released til Friday (at that time I had not even seen the final list) and two, I was on the grill at Toxic and wanted to catch up with GM1 to find out when we were heading over.

Sorry if it came off as blowing you guys off, wasn't really my intention, I just had a lot of stuff going and wasn't really in the know as of that moment.

Comment

Well Vandal, you DID get to meet a LOT of people at the con you probably wouldn't have talked to otherwise.

Of course Chaos and I only really bugged you because we were scavenging for Mystery Challenge clues. When you're a couple days in (ok hell a couple months when you figure on registration) everything looks like it could potentially be related some how to the challenge. Thankfully, LosT had not in fact come up with some new wang-crypto cipher we were suppose to attempt to decode.
                        perl -e 's==UBER?=+y[:-o]}(;->\n{q-yp-y+k}?print:??;-p#)'

Comment

Sorry about the badges running out. When I upped the order by a 1,000 we quickly found out that the world had run out of parts, and I could not increase it any more. Next year we will make sure whatever we do the parts are more available and we won't DOS ourselves.
                          The Dark Tangent: Use PGP for email Key ID: 0x8B0B476D
                          Fingerprint: EA2B 63F9 2219 9171 2AB1 0065 FC59 8B0B 476D

Comment

Originally posted by Kingpin View Post
                            @kallahar: "Sorry, but the defcon badge sucked yet again." Yet again, a finely crafted useful piece of information. You should have traded it in for a paper badge and given it to many others who would have appreciated it.

@everyone else: Glad you liked it :)

Joe
                            Joe, I already gave you my mad props for a great badge design. Very fun, very hackable, and very unique.

Folks should just be glad that there isn't a *separate* electronic badge design that kicks in once we run out of the first 7,500 or however many there were. Just imagine how many folks would then be complaining about having to buy *two* badges for Def Con. ;)

-kive

Comment

Originally posted by p0lr View Post
                              [snip]

Over the top - even managed to cause a DoS on the Aruba wireless gear.
                              I must have missed the impact on the wireless -- how did they impact the Aruba gear, specifically?

-kive

Comment

Working...
                              X