Explosive Expert: Aircraft bombs may end in-flight Wi-Fi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explosive Expert: Aircraft bombs may end in-flight Wi-Fi

Here's a headline suitable for the tabloids: "Aircraft bomb finds may spell end for in-flight Wi-Fi"

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...ight-wifi.html

Last week's discoveries cast doubt on the wisdom of in-flight communications, says Roland Alford, managing director of Alford Technologies, an explosives consultancy in Chippenham, Wiltshire, UK. He says he expects the technology to be scrutinised in the security reviews being undertaken by the UK government and US Department of Homeland Security in the wake of the discovery of the printer bombs.
    The logic here is that since wireless devices might be used as remote triggers, that the commercial WiFi on flights should be stopped.

Now this ignores a great many factors, while making great security theater. First and foremost is the fact that these devices could already be used for triggers as long as someone was willing to ignore FAA and FCC regulations - something that someone intent on committing a crime like blowing up an airliner probably isn't going to be worried about in the first place.
    Thorn
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Re: Explosive Expert: Aircraft bombs may end in-flight Wi-Fi

The future of air travel was already shown in The Fifth Element. Passengers will be sealed in RF blocking metal tubes and then put to sleep for the entire flight.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
      Here's a headline suitable for the tabloids: "Aircraft bomb finds may spell end for in-flight Wi-Fi"

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...ight-wifi.html

The logic here is that since wireless devices might be used as remote triggers, that the commercial WiFi on flights should be stopped.

Now this ignores a great many factors, while making great security theater. First and foremost is the fact that these devices could already be used for triggers as long as someone was willing to ignore FAA and FCC regulations - something that someone intent on committing a crime like blowing up an airliner probably isn't going to be worried about in the first place.
      I think the point of their FUD is that someone on the couch at home could get something on a plane and remote trigger something from the ground. i.e. bomb calls home over inflight wifi and listens for commands, rather than the whole suicide bomber thing of actually being on the plane.

Of course you know the logical conclusion to this: Scream about banning WiFi on planes, rather than investing further in keeping the bomb off the plane in the first place. At the very least ensuring that luggage and passengers are matched so that any potential suicide bomber has to be on the plane, thus reducing the likelihood.

(for details fun with unaccompanied luggage see: http://deviating.net/firearms/packing/accounts/sas/ )

Of course if they ban all WiFi or Jam it out of concern, the clever little terrorist will just use another frequency. Bonus points if they use a hacked Pink IM-Me as a detenator.

[
      The future of air travel was already shown in The Fifth Element. Passengers will be sealed in RF blocking metal tubes and then put to sleep for the entire flight.
      If that means I dont have to spend the flight sitting next to some fat fuck who hasn't bathed in a a week and who ate a garlic and blue cheese sandwich for lunch, I'm all for it.
      Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

If wi-fi exploded bombs, the bomb makers would never make it out of their house.

Comment

Of course you could also use packet radio to remotely detonate a bomb on a plane... I think the right solution is to ban usage of all radio, and I mean not just on planes...Make it illegal to transmit on airwaves...

Of course the bad guy wouldn't respect those laws so I call for Jamming all frequencies!
          /* NO COMMENT */

Comment

There are so many easier ways and simpler ways to stop Air Bombing, but it must start from the Travelers and Customers.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell View Post
              If wi-fi exploded bombs, the bomb makers would never make it out of their house.
              The idea is that an attacker could use WiFi signals to trigger a detonator, not that low power microwave band EM creates unstable ordinance.

Everyone shut up about all forms of chronograph, I don't want my $9.99 timex wrist-watch being confiscated because it could be made into the timer device for a bomb more effectively than WiFi. Shhh...

Also, nobody mention you can take off your pants in mid flight and strangle people with them.
              SHHHHH.

Originally posted by dataworm View Post
              Of course you could also use packet radio to remotely detonate a bomb on a plane... I think the right solution is to ban usage of all radio, and I mean not just on planes...Make it illegal to transmit on airwaves...

Of course the bad guy wouldn't respect those laws so I call for Jamming all frequencies!
              What? You mean you can carry a signal with instructions on another part of the EM band than 2ghz, and you could even get further range? But I thought we could only get the magic of wireless through WiFi!! Better make all electromagnetism illegal before someone smarter than the TSA finds out too.
              Last edited by SHA-hi; November 25, 2010, 19:57.

Comment

Working...
              X