How Donors Are Selected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Donors Are Selected

Last year at the marrow drive, a lot of people were curious about what happens with DNA once it gets into the marrow registry. The following information describes how a donor is selected from the registry by the patient's doctor:

http://www.marrow.org/DONOR/When_You...ted/index.html

Re: How Donors Are Selected

What if the feds walk in with a warrant asking for all the DNA acquired at Defcon?

Comment

Originally posted by astcell View Post
      What if the feds walk in with a warrant asking for all the DNA acquired at Defcon?
      Then you hand it over and go to court to fight the probable cause issue.
      "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Originally posted by theprez98 View Post
        Then you hand it over and go to court to fight the probable cause issue.
        or you refuse to hand it over, possibly get arrested, and go to court to fight the issue.
        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
        - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by astcell View Post
          There's really no way to know where it was collected. The samples get sent in en mass, without specifics on who collected it, where, etc. Defcon is just one sight among many going on at the same time across the US.

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
            or you refuse to hand it over, possibly get arrested, and go to court to fight the issue.
            Or that too. The difference as I see it, is that if law enforcement has a valid warrant (in other words, signed by a judge), even if it later turns out to be vague or broad or whatever, you're not getting anywhere by resisting handing over the material. Resisting to the officer, who is doing his job in good faith of a valid warrant, doesn't advance your cause because, as you said, you will likely get arrested and they'll seize the information anyway. In other words, refusing to hand it over doesn't prevent them from getting the information immediately, it just causes a scene (which isn't any good, unless of course that's what you're trying to do). They'll get what they came for anyway, in the same amount of time. I suspect that refusing an otherwise valid warrant could also lead to other charges, too.
            Last edited by theprez98; March 17, 2011, 11:50.
            "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Originally posted by theprez98 View Post
              They'll get what they came for anyway, in the same amount of time.
              unless crypto is involved.

that's the context in which i was thinking about the situation, really. crypto or a really heavy-duty locked safe. heh, maybe one with a SecuriSafe module rigged to destroy the contents if they try to force the door.

i wonder... legally, is it "destruction of evidence" if you merely refuse to assist law enforcement, and by their own actions they cause the paperwork/records/sperm samples to go up in smoke?
              "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
              - Trent Reznor

Comment

i wonder... legally, is it "destruction of evidence" if you merely refuse to assist law enforcement, and by their own actions they cause the paperwork/records/sperm samples to go up in smoke?
                Probably, since the ultimate intent would be to destroy something specifically to evade possible prosecution. Depending on the jurisdiction and how the device(s) was rigged, I'd think that laws pertaining to things like destructive or incendiary devices might apply, too.

Also, the ever popular "obstruction of justice" charge is a nice catch-all for those types of actions which try to stop law enforcement or prosecution from obtaining evidence.
                Thorn
                "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Uh... that's not how we're collecting DNA. I know this is Vegas and all... but ew.

Comment

Working...
                  X