X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A few questions about Defcon; I've never been to it before

Originally posted by Sapience View Post
    3. Is it easy to make new friends at Defcon? If I were to go, I might have to go alone.
    I think that questions 1, 2 and 4 were nicely answered already, but I felt I could give you some insight into question 3.

Last year was my first Defcon and I went by myself. I had fun but to be quite honest with you I am "socially challenged" so I didn't really put myself out there. I am the girl that keeps her head down and moves quickly. Hard to make new friends in that situation.

However, even with that said, I did make a couple of new friends and there was a least 2 meals that I ate with people and not by myself.

So the answer to your question is, I believe that it depends on you and how you adjust to different situations. Are you outgoing? Confident? If so, I think that you will be just fine going by yourself.

I am hoping this year to come out of my shell a little more.

Comment

Making friends at defcon is probably one of the easiest goals to achieve. defcon is in fact at least equal parts education and community. There are numerous meetups, workshops and contests that you can apply yourself towards and interact with people who have similar interests.

No kidding, you can also just stick yourself into a random conversation. People at defcon like to drink, bring a bottle or some beer, walk up to somebody and say hey, lets drink this! You'll be able to make friends quickly.

I know this isn't the easiest thing to do for some people, you're really going to need to steady your nerves and take a chance, it's not much of a gamble though, you're likely to make some good friends that you'll come back to defcon again and again to see. I have defcon friends from defcon4 that I only see at con and I can't WAIT every year to hang out with. You can have the same thing.

oh, don't forget http://predefcon.org/, just because they can't proofread a web page doesn't mean it wont be a ton of fun.

Comment

"here's a beer, let's talk!" is great! It'll work for me, I'll be the one with only one beer (always need two).

http://predefcon.org - fixed the ONE spelling mistake, jerk. Also added maps from the Rio and AP (per flea's advice). Should be a great party, and a great way to meet people! (bring beer)

Kallahar
        --- The fuck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon?

Comment

Going alone isn't so bad :) I'm a social misfit myself but it's very easy the 2nd year around to talk to anyone. If anything the pre-party or the bbq is a way to unlock the hidden social life. Run into the lock pick area and strap your self to a chair with some handcuff's instant laugh's and a wonder ice breaker!
          Social Engineering sucks that damn homeless person on the corner makes more then me... Why can't I learn to smell funny and ask for money?

Comment

Originally posted by hexjunkie View Post
            I
            Thursday:
            Toxic BBQ (I try but have never made it, I will this year)

Other social events that I have either attended or know about
            ForumMeet - open to forum people and open to anyone interested in the forums
            Ninja Party - invite only

If you are a decent human being, listen to the goons, and DON'T LIE you will receive respect from almost everyone at con.

If you are also looking to meet some new people, join a group doing a contest.. hang around a contest booth that you want to do I guarantee there will be people looking for an odd man.
            Definitely recommending the Toxic BBQ; did it for the first time last year, and had a great time.

The people I met at the BBQ ended up crashing the forum meet a night later, which was also fun, and we still snipe at each other on Twitter every now and then.

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
              you know how people who participate in elections get a spiffy little oval "I Voted" sticker to wear the rest of the day? Imagine if Goons had something like that... "I Bought A Beer" stickers.

Hold that thought......

WB

Comment

Originally posted by arahel_jazz View Post
                Handing a Goon squad member a bottle of whiskey works too...
                Lots of good points but this one rates special merit. But make sure to hand it to them sealed and unopened. A fresh unopened beer works fine too. We all carry bottle openers.

One other point I didn't see mentioned is "Don't Poke the Bear".

That is a reference to the Goons. The Red Shirt Security Goons. We keep the peace, help you when you are drunk, hit your head, are passed out, choking on your own puke, etc. Generally we try and make Defcon fun for everyone. However, there are always one or two f-tards that haven't figured out that if you are a douche no one likes it and you are going to get someone hurt or get tossed out of Defcon.

Bottom line just be cool, you'll get plenty of drinks, make friends, and have a good time. Listen to the what that Goon is saying.

By the way if you need us we are easy to spot.
                There is only one of us.
                We answer to one name.

Goon.

Comment

Last year was my first time also. I didn't go alone, but I would wander off all the time. I'm no big drinker, but I find a good 'bro pickup line' to be "so, what do you do?" Almost everyone at defcon does something interesting and is more than happy to talk about it.

Comment

Quick suggestions:

1. Don't be a douche.
                    2. Talk to people. See rule #1.
                    3. Participate- you've got Hardware Hacking Village, Defcon 101, Contests, parties, badge mayhem, lots to do. And don't be a douche.
                    4. Don't try to impress everyone. There are lots of smart ppl at con. Don't try to impress everyone. Did I mention don't try to impress everyone? "Where three travel together, one will be my teacher and one will I teach". And don't be a douche.
                    5. Have fun. Be yourself.

LosT

Comment

I recall one individual trying to impress another by quoting smart points from a tech book. They were speaking to the author. Lesson learned.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell View Post
                        I recall one individual trying to impress another by quoting smart points from a tech book. They were speaking to the author. Lesson learned.
                        ProTIP: Buy me lots of Rolling Rock. It WILL impress me and I will like you.
                        perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                          ProTIP: Buy me lots of Rolling Rock. It WILL impress me and I will like you.
                          That's all it takes? No, handjob's in the men's room?
                          And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

"hey look i have alcohol lets drink it" - they aren't kidding. made like 4 friends this way.
                            toxic bbq and pre-party are also easy ways to talk to people, and other events.
                            be yourself. we're all nerds here!
                            walk around, find random parties, dance.
                            walk up to random little clusters of people and say "hi, i'm so-n-so". works more often than you'd think
                            other random question good for starting convo: "are you more into hardware or software?" - seems like 10x more hardware people than there used to be...

also, and this might just be me, a noob mistake is not knowing your drinking limit or drinking the wrong stuff... beer makes me antisocial whilst liquor makes me happy. go figure. OH, and ask a goon where the cheap liquor store is and buy booze there and bring a bag to carry it around in, and some shot cups. you will be a hero to many.

Comment

At DC17 I was walking by the pool when a few guys on the grass yelled "Hey want a beer?" I went over, grabbed a beer and listened to their discussion. They had a perplexing question and between them they were trying to figure out the answer. I thanked them for the beer and then mentioned that their question is easily answered as it has been a matter in my occupation for over 20 years.

I have my friends from years past but ALWAYS meet a new person. Someone may look lost, sad, scared, or sober. Help in any way you can!

Comment

Dude I always look LosT.

My motto has always been "make Defcon your own".

And by all means make sure you read HighWiz's FAQ like three times. Really.

TIP: WATER is appreciated almost as much as alcohol at certain times. Try offering water if you're under age. It will work most of the time. Vegas is hot.

Tip: At least PEEK into all the different areas- the LP village- Wifi- HHV, etc.

Go into CTF and watch a bit.

Go talk to the oCTF guys. After that go find the DC949 guys and beg them to do awesome oCTF again ;) (gotta give props)

Check out the vendor area.

Wander. (Not all who wander are LosT)

Come say hi to me.

Originally posted by astcell View Post

I have my friends from years past but ALWAYS meet a new person. Someone may look lost, sad, scared, or sober. Help in any way you can!

Comment

Working...
                                X