X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dark Tangent
    replied
    Tamper vident Contest Part Deux

OK, I am finally getting on the ball for TE part 2!

Yes it will happen.

There will be a "Level One" part to the contest, almost identical to last year, with one or two minor twists. This is to provide an entry path to new people and teams, as well as help me get rid of the hundreds of tags I had to purchase as a minimum order!. :-)

So for Level One read up about what happened last year, but expect a few minor tweaks.

For "Level Two" we will be bumping up the complexity a bit, buying the better tags, seals, and such.

There will be a "Level Three" but that will be an open contest where expensive seals will be available for people who are playing at the Level Two skill level to attempt to open.

NEW FOR THIS YEAR there will be two categories:
    1 - Unlimited: Anything goes, equipment and preparation.
    2 - McGuyver: Only what you can find in your hotel room or what could be found on a hotel room cleaning cart.

Leave a comment:

• geblsd
    replied
    Re: Details for 19?

We've played at Toorcon and LayerOne and had same real fun. Ready to try our hands at the majors. Team covert penetration is in for 19. Any info on logistics yet? Some of our team members are only coming for Defcon and want to know when to be in Vegas.

Cheers,
    gabe

Leave a comment:

• WiK
    replied

Random Idea....Moderation could be rotated to previous year's winners (perhaps not just first place) assuming that those interested/dedicated enough for the contest would be interested.

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied

Originally posted by Dark Tangent View Post
    Also in the background Cot and I have been working to get tamperevidentwiki.com up and running. It is a combo forum+wiki and is in alpha testing right now. The idea is you can have discussions in the forums, but really capture the knowledge on the defeats in the connected wiki.
    Now that you have announced this, this is one of the projects I have been working on outside the forums. The present plans are to make it a separate instance with different credentials required for authentication. As a result, the mods on the defcon forums would not necessarily be there (unless they want to sign up) and it would probably have a different set of rules based on how DT and the people working on this contest want to run it. The 2 minimum rules would probably be, "nothing illegal," and, "no spamming," but beyond that, the people that moderate would probably decide the rules,as they would be the ones enforcing the rules.

I am guessing I'll probably be one of the Admins on the TE wiki to install, configure, upgrade, and diagnose software issues, but I'd prefer it if other people that were active in this contest were moderators. Obviously, DT gets final say.

There are 2 or 3 different competing solutions, and those are being installed and tested.

Leave a comment:

• hexjunkie
    replied

I am starting to order seals and such, as well as work on the over all budget and levels.

Also in the background Cot and I have been working to get tamperevidentwiki.com up and running. It is a combo forum+wiki and is in alpha testing right now. The idea is you can have discussions in the forums, but really capture the knowledge on the defeats in the connected wiki.

Once it is running on the new server and basically functional I will open it up to everyone and start accepting / bribing / encouraging people to become mods and get involved. If you are interested in the wiki I can create a new thread for people to prepare and plan on.
    I'll post up the stuff I have from team Hactar from last year.

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Tangent
    replied

I am starting to order seals and such, as well as work on the over all budget and levels.

Once it is running on the new server and basically functional I will open it up to everyone and start accepting / bribing / encouraging people to become mods and get involved. If you are interested in the wiki I can create a new thread for people to prepare and plan on.

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Tangent
    replied

Originally posted by WiK View Post
    DT,

Whats up? How can I help?
    Whops! Meant Kive. Sorry for any confusion.

Leave a comment:

• kive
    replied

My two cents:

* contest this year will be similar in some respects, but will probably also break a significant amount of new ground. Last year, the contest was pretty awesome, but it was also meant to be an intro-level contest.

* I'm definitely excited to hear about the teams that are planning to return. I know the team from Detroit/Boulder plans to participate again, as I've been seeing their e-mails indicating interest during the last two weeks.

* Checklist is definitely a reasonable suggestion -- there was a lot of confusion last year, and while we want a little bit of the contest to be the 'having fun and figuring stuff out' type, we also want to eliminate confusion. We've discussed creating an online submission form for defeats where you can attach video, photos, and/or descriptions of the defeat method as appropriate, but we're still hammering out details.

* The tiered approach is definitely something that resounds with us -- I forsee four levels: public (i.e. allow the public to actually learn a little bit at the table -- instead of having folks trying to steal materials, let's just make it an encouraged learning opportunity), and then perhaps three levels of skill kits... Pass the basic box with a certain score, and receive the second, etc... Score from all three add together to create the final score used for ranking teams.

* Group size: I think 4 is actually a sweet spot, though I'd also like more flexibility at the lowest level of kit. I think some teams that started out with 4 or so members ended up just having 1 or 2 really dedicated folks actually doing the work -- no reason why teams can't fold together after working the lower-level kits, but an 8-man team is also overkill. Regardless, the purpose here is to deliver a very fun contest that also increases the body of knowledge in the area of tamper-evident circumvention... while this is still pending conversation, I think you'll be pleased with the outcome.

* Please feel free to throw out any additional suggestions/ideas you guys might have. We have a ton of improvements identified, and we'll be discussing these shortly. We're very interested in improving both the level of challenge as well as the level of enjoyment that you guys get out of participating in this contest.

Thanks!

-kive

Leave a comment:

• WiK
    replied

Good idea, we will do that for sure.

WiK, I could really use your help again!
    DT,

Whats up? How can I help?

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Tangent
    replied

Good idea, we will do that for sure.

WiK, I could really use your help again!

Originally posted by DiscipleOfJude View Post
    Also, a suggestion for the contest. Maybe have a checklist (inside the box? with the documentation?) that has a picture and name for each type of tag, that way people don't have to come up with their own names - everyone has the same name for each tag.

Leave a comment:

• DiscipleOfJude
    replied

Originally posted by WiK View Post
    That sounds good to me, let me know how I can help.
    I'm in too. I have my kit packed and ready to go. After my wedding, I will get out to the space to help out.

Also, a suggestion for the contest. Maybe have a checklist (inside the box? with the documentation?) that has a picture and name for each type of tag, that way people don't have to come up with their own names - everyone has the same name for each tag.

Leave a comment:

• WiK
    replied

Originally posted by hexjunkie View Post
    I could use both of you guys help putting together the team again,

I'm planning on helping Unallocated Space start a team as well. If you guys want to pitch in we can work on getting a beginner team together from the space and we can tackle the advanced stuff at con.
    That sounds good to me, let me know how I can help.

Leave a comment:

• hexjunkie
    replied

I could use both of you guys help putting together the team again,

I'm planning on helping Unallocated Space start a team as well. If you guys want to pitch in we can work on getting a beginner team together from the space and we can tackle the advanced stuff at con.

Leave a comment:

• WiK
    replied

Originally posted by DiscipleOfJude View Post
    Yeah, I would like 4 again too. I'm in, either way, but it would be sweet to bring back Team Hactar.

I can't wait to see what kind of tags you find this year.
    I'm in as well, so thats at least 3 of us....Someone..someone shoot Mel a msg and see if he is on board. I've already started putting my kit together.

Leave a comment:

• DiscipleOfJude
    replied

Originally posted by hexjunkie View Post
    I liked the option of a 4 man team as well.
    Yeah, I would like 4 again too. I'm in, either way, but it would be sweet to bring back Team Hactar.

I can't wait to see what kind of tags you find this year.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X