Not as crazy at it sounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not as crazy at it sounds

So, we're organizing a bike ride around Las Vegas before DefCon. It will probably be early morning on Thursday. Like 6am. It's early, but it's also cool enough you'll live through it.

We're working with a local bike shop to get a group rate on nice rental bikes (not crap rec stuff.. real bikes). We'll be leaving around 6a and finishing by 8a or so. It will be guided by someone from the bike shop. Right now the estimated cost is around $40-$50/person, but we'll know more as we get closer to the event including specifics on the gear. [ note I originally had $80/person on here but punkrokk corrected me and told me I was smoking crack. It's more like $40]

This should be an actual "ride", not a victorian outing on fancy big wheeled bicycles and parasols. If you're interested in doing this, you'll probably want to be in reasonably good shape and maybe have done some pack riding in the past.

Also, we're designing custom jerseys. More on that later :)

If you're interested, post a reply.
    Last edited by gdead; May 23, 2011, 19:30.

Re: Not as crazy at it sounds

Some more data on this:

We are considering McGhies bike shop. They rent a decent road bike for $40. http://mcghies.com/about/road-bike-r...2010-pg459.htm (Cannondale Synapse)

They also have a good hybrid: Trek 7.5 FX. http://mcghies.com/about/hybrid-bike...2010-pg470.htm for $40 also.

Comment

Im an avid biker myself, I had debated bringing my bike to Vegas, since Im driving out there from Texas. I figured there would be plenty of places going and coming to get out of the car and go for a ride (like the Grand Canyon). The issue with where to store it while Im in Vegas for 5 days, and not wanting to leave a bike strapped to a car in a Las Vegas parking garage.

The idea sounds like fun, even if I dont get to ride with you guys because Im involved in so many of the events at Defcon, I'll probably still want a jersy if you have the option for mountain bike ones.

Comment

I'm In and will see if any other 312ers are down at tomorrow's meeting. I'll probably pull the predictable stereotypical move of warbiking while we go along. Netbook in a camelbak what?
        - -

Comment

Count me in. Riding in Vegas in early August should be good prep for riding the Hotter than Hell in Texas at the end of August. Oh wait - Vegas - it's a dry heat...

Comment

I swear, anyone that says "it's a dry heat" is going to ride a schwinn with a banana saddle. And tassels. ;)

Comment

I'm in. I've been looking for a reason to actually get the bike out and start riding.

Comment

This could be cool, do you have a particular route in mind?
                I'm close enough to consider bringing my road bike (sans aero bars).

Rhenium

Comment

Originally posted by gdead View Post
                  This should be an actual "ride", not a victorian outing on fancy big wheeled bicycles and parasols.
                  This is where you lost me. My fellow velocipede enthusiasts and I shall take our business elsewhere. Good day to you, sir!

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Damn, I'm not getting there till late Thursday. Any plans for another ride Fri or Sat? If not can we make it happen? I was considering riding down, but work decided to pay for the trip.

M

Comment

Originally posted by zfasel View Post
                      I'm In and will see if any other 312ers are down at tomorrow's meeting. I'll probably pull the predictable stereotypical move of warbiking while we go along. Netbook in a camelbak what?
                      Get a waterproof phone and throw it in!

Comment

Originally posted by Rhenium View Post
                        This could be cool, do you have a particular route in mind?
                        I'm close enough to consider bringing my road bike (sans aero bars).

Rhenium
                        We'll have a route in mind in the next few weeks -- i'll be talking to our tour guide on the phone soon. I'll likely post it up on mapmyride.com for all to criticize.

Comment

Wow- that sounds cool. Too bad I haven't had a bike in 10+ years.
                          Maybe there can be a Segway counterpart for us not so "reasonably good shape"rs?

Ok- kidding about that.... but seriously- I jog and do one or two 5k runs a year. I'm trying not to be scared off by my lack of experience, because this is something I'd like to try.

Comment

I'd be interested in route length before committing...

Comment

Originally posted by galt View Post
                              I'd be interested in route length before committing...
                              Galt -- I think we'll end up doing 20-25 miles. A good ride to get our legs moving - not kill ourselves.

Plus -- we won't have the advantage of parisols in the dry heat.

Comment

Working...
                              X