Clear All

• Crash And Compile at DefCon 19!

"It's a Programming Contest!"
    "No, it's a Drinking Game!"
    "It's a PROGRAMMING CONTEST!"
    "DRINKING GAME!"
    "DESSERT TOPPING!"
    "FLOOR WAX!"

Crash And Compile WILL be back this year at DefCon! We had a great time last year and want to do it again.

*goes and checks the webpage* Well, fuck. I'm about a week late. The domain expired and has been squatted upon. I'm working on getting that back. In the mean time, hit up crashandcompile.halibut.com

TEAMS! We need teams! We're taking up to 8 teams of 1 or 2 people each. Please either DM me (SmittyHalibut) the following information:

1: Team Name
    2: Contestants' names or handles
    3: Contestants' email addresses (Don't worry, I won't send you anything not directly related to this year's game.)

If you're asking yourself, "What the fuck is Crash and Compile?" The short version is at the top of this post: It's about what you would expect when you cross an ACM style programming contest with a drinking game, warts and all. For more details, check last year's forum threads, or hit up the website for complete rules.

Re: Crash And Compile at DefCon 19!

Originally posted by SmittyHalibut View Post
    ... For more details, check last year's forum threads, or hit up the website for complete rules.
    Changed forum description site URL from http://dc18.crashandcompile.com/ to http://crashandcompile.halibut.com/

Good luck!

Comment

From some of the comments last year, maybe you could address them here or on the webpage.

* What is the cost to enter the contest?
      * Are outside beverages allowed during the contest?
      * If not, what's the cost per beverage?

Thanks.
      Aut disce aut discede

Comment

"DESSERT TOPPING!"
        "FLOOR WAX!"

Classic!

You're showing your age, Smitty, if you saw that live.
        Thorn
        "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
          Changed forum description site URL from http://dc18.crashandcompile.com/ to http://crashandcompile.halibut.com/

Good luck!
          My hero! *swoon* Thanks, Cot.

Originally posted by AlxRogan View Post
          * What is the cost to enter the contest?
          * Are outside beverages allowed during the contest?
          * If not, what's the cost per beverage?

Thanks.
          In order: I don't know yet, no, and I don't know yet.

Sorry. I'm still working the details with Pyr0 and the Rio, but I think it's safe to assume they won't let us bring in our own drinks.

The way it worked last year, and I intend to do it the same way this time, is I charged a fixed entrance fee which covered 6 beers, and just a little bit more to cover some (not all) of my expenses. If you wanted more than 6 beers, you could buy more at the event at the same price I pay for them, no mark-up. (I think I actually covered something like $0.06/beer last year; I hate dealing with change. ;-)

In short, I'm not here to make money on booze, nor am I here to pay for you to get drunk. I'm basically passing the cost directly on to you. So whatever the Rio ends up charging me for beers is what you'll pay. If it's anything like the Riviera, it was about $7/beer after taxes and "convenience fees." Outrageous, I know. But thems the rules. Sorry.

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
          You're showing your age, Smitty, if you saw that live.
          Hehe. No, not that old. But you're right about it being a classic. :-)

Comment

Now, I don't want to start the whole hullabaloo I did last year with Wiz about this, but I would love to see a Team Goon this year. No name calling, no gauntlet throwing, no dick fencing this time. Just a simple post suggesting/encouraging folks with Red Badges to join in on the fun.

Any takers? :-D

-Mark

Comment

Now, I don't want to start the whole hullabaloo I did last year with Wiz about this, but I would love to see a Team Goon this year. No name calling, no gauntlet throwing, no dick fencing this time. Just a simple post suggesting/encouraging folks with Red Badges to join in on the fun.

Any takers? :-D

-Mark

See, it makes things easier for everyone that way...
              And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

In order: I don't know yet, no, and I don't know yet.
                Gotcha, thanks for the update.

Good luck
                Aut disce aut discede

Comment

Commence thumb twiddling and leg jiggling. I don't have anyone else coming with me, but I want to do it. I also am kind of...well...a noob. XD

Comment

Originally posted by acoustica View Post
                    Commence thumb twiddling and leg jiggling. I don't have anyone else coming with me, but I want to do it. I also am kind of...well...a noob. XD
                    A programming noob? Or a DefCon noob? If the former, it probably doesn't matter too much, as long as you know how to program in at least one language, which you can probably figure out between now and 'Con. If the latter, then it REALLY doesn't matter. :-D

Comment

New mini-contest, finding acoustica a team member!

Comment

I know I'm ressurecting an old thread here, but Acoustica: You want in? "noob" status means nothing here. It's all about the fun. Bring it on. I dare ya. :-D

Comment

Working...
                        X