OpenCTF 2011 Registration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenCTF 2011 Registration

The OpenCTF Group is proud to announce early registration for Defcon 19! We have become very concerned about security this year due to the events surrounding AmericanNuclearSecrets.com. We have gathered our top scientists and paid them to ask their nephews for suggestions on how to implement our many-layered security. After discarding all the solutions that require skill or time or both, we have uprooted our infrastructure and after much weeping decided it batter to let it fry. After subcontracting our project to the lowest bidder, we found out we didn’t have any scientists and they had run off with 70% of our budget. On August 4-7, you will have the opportunity to help us peel back the layers of mystery and participate in the cheapest possible way to get us back into our own servers, The OpenCTF.

http://qlrpqar2s5tczi6i

[contractors sent this url but doesn't look right. please fix before publishing -ed]

OpenCTF Info

I looked on the openctf.com website and the pre-registration website but I can't seem to find any real information about this years openctf such as any changes to the rules, times the contents runs, etc. Is this information not available yet, or has my googlefu failed me again?

Comment

Re: OpenCTF Info

Originally posted by uomu View Post
      I looked on the openctf.com website and the pre-registration website but I can't seem to find any real information about this years openctf such as any changes to the rules, times the contents runs, etc. Is this information not available yet, or has my googlefu failed me again?
      It looks to me like they may have started up the process, but are including a game that must be solved before you can register.

There is a thread in this forum for "OpenCTF" that duplicates the content on the website http://www.openctf.com/ though there is at least one difference int he URL provided. maybe there are other differences. Maybe the differences are important. Maybe it is meant to be misleading.

It looks to me as though the text of the announcement provides tongue-in-cheek clues on how to solve the puzzle.

A search with google of part of this string provided 3 hits when I searched. Perhaps it is base64 encoded text? some sort of offset, maybe compressed and uuencoded but missing the begin and end lines. Maybe it is information about a using tor or an onion routing network using the pseudo-TLD ".onion". Maybe a string for a cache, to lookup something on google. Whatever it is, I would assume it is part of the contest, and figuring out what it means is your first step to getting registered.

Of course, I could be totally wrong. :-)
      Last edited by TheCotMan; June 20, 2011, 21:05.

Comment

Thanks TheCotMan, you do indeed live on the forums :surprised. (fast reply)

Turns out it is a TOR hidden service, you just have to rename .union to .onion and run through TOR. Maybe you could merge my post into the previous topic so this thread isn't just hanging here?

Comment

Originally posted by uomu View Post
          Thanks TheCotMan, you do indeed live on the forums :surprised. (fast reply)

Turns out it is a TOR hidden service, you just have to rename .union to .onion and run through TOR. Maybe you could merge my post into the previous topic so this thread isn't just hanging here?
          Sure. Threads merged. It may not make as much sense to people reading the reference to this same thread, but when they get to here, they will know two threads were merged. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
          X