(2nd shift)

dan
    J.T.
    [= Security Staff =]
    flirzan
    4Footed
    Nuclear Steve
    Dr. Tran

NOTE - it seems we have a pretty good handle on volunteers now here. thank you to all who signed up, i'll be emailing you all to confirm this soon, etc.

The plan is for the shoot to run semi-officially run from 10:00 to 12:00, with RSOs in place and people with official lane assignments, etc. that whole time.

I foresee the following staff levels...

5 active RSOs at all times, minimum.
    Two RSOs will be standing at the edge of the official firing lines (one for each line) simply policing the shooting muzzle of all hot weapons, as well as calling the range as hot or cold.

Two RSOs will be pacing back and forth behind the lines, making more direct interaction with shooters as needed. (clearing malfs, informing people to step back/forward as needed in order to toe the line, enforcing the "one active shooter per lane" rule, etc)

And at least one RSO may have an overwatch position on the big hill, which is where i might be a lot of the time, too. this person will be in charge of coordinating communication between the A and B ranges if we don't have radios, signaling all clear for cease-fires, etc. (the ranges are not separated enough by a barrier that would allow them to independently be hot or cold. cease fires will happen simultaneously, hopefully every 15 minutes and lasting no more than 3 or 4 minutes.)

RSOs will naturally get to come to the event totally for free and will there will be at least two lanes for them to use exclusively. if i have a surplus of any funds after renting the canopies and other gear and such, then i'll buy people beer or drinks or otherwise try to reward you afterwards, too.

I will also need general staff/security folk. Their jobs will be a bit more nebulous, and i'm hoping this first year trying this will go sort of smoothly. But, in general, they'll be in charge of trying to keep out any crowds of people who haven't pre-registered for the DC Shoot and they'll be in charge of handling lane allocation, etc. I don't really know how many "general security staff" i'll be needing, but i am going to assume that at least three people, if not four, will be needed per hour-long shift.
    one person simply at the front entrance, directing traffic regarding where to park and where to proceed once they enter... how to find the badge area for pre-reg people or where to go if they aren't registered, etc.

one person handling badges. yes, you'll get some sort of badges, hehe. there will be general attendee badges (allowing you to be in the semi-official area) as well as lane usage badges (different ones for Hour #1 and Hour #2).

at least one person handling general security - RSOs aren't responsible for ensuring that people have proper badges and such, they're just supposed to keep people safe. if you see someone trying to muscle into a lane that isn't theirs, etc... tell a yellow-vested person, not an orange-vested person.

one more additional person would be good, to serve as general runner, rotating load relief, etc.

like with RSOs, anyone who will work a one-hour shift in a yellow vest gets free admission to the event, a badge, and (i hope) use of the staff shooting lanes. and again, if i have funds leftover after the event i'll buy you drinks, ammo, etc.

in fact. that may be a good reward... surplus Shoot Shop ammo can be yours to take home or something. i'll try to figure something out.

so that's about eight Security staff i'll be seeking.

some people have stated that they can pull either duty. i'm keeping those details in my notes, but for now i'm just putting people on these lists as you see here in order to stabilize the overall numbers.
    Last edited by Deviant Ollam; July 13, 2011, 18:22. Reason: updated staff, etc
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

RSO volunteer - Bob G.

Bob G. has volunteered to be an RSO. i have a phone number and an email from him. this is good. this is what i need.

i also would accept from him any preference as to first or second shift.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

RSO volunteer - b0n3z

b0n3z has volunteered to RSO.
      Last edited by Deviant Ollam; June 22, 2011, 18:42.
      - Trent Reznor

Comment

RSO volunteer - FirmWarez

FirmWarez has volunteered to RSO.
        Last edited by Deviant Ollam; June 22, 2011, 18:42.
        - Trent Reznor

Comment

RSO volunteer - saxdr

saxdr has volunteered to RSO.

while i can message him here on the forums, i don't have a phone number or an email address.

[EDIT - i now have his contact info]
          Last edited by Deviant Ollam; June 22, 2011, 18:43.
          - Trent Reznor

Comment

Re: RSO volunteer - saxdr

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
            saxdr has volunteered to RSO.

while i can message him here on the forums, i don't have a phone number or an email address.

i also would love to have him email or PM me his preference for first or second shift.
            You didn't dig far enough back in the terabytes of e-mail you must have. ;) Sent you an e-mail. I'm okay with either or both shifts. I'd like to burn a few magazines, but I can squeeze in wherever.
            "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." -Optimus Prime

Comment

Re: DC Shoot RSOs and other staff

My e-mail addy can only be figured out by super wizard class a uber hackers. I'll send you a PM with it.
              TSA luvs my Uzi.

"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time." -T.S. Eliot

Comment

Count me in as RSO... I can stand watch both shifts. I'll do my shooting after all have left. You know me, I like the long range stuff.
                May I suggest that if / when you get T-Shirts made for the shoot, for the RSO's get them red shirts. That way they will stand out and can be identified as an RSO. Just a suggestion.

Comment

May I suggest that if / when you get T-Shirts made for the shoot, for the RSO's get them red shirts. That way they will stand out and can be identified as an RSO. Just a suggestion.
                  Red or Orange or Something bright like that (or even the orange vests like last year)

People might try and be stupid and pretend to be goons...then again that'll make good goon fodder! Go with Red!!!

I'm still available to RSO with no preference on shift. Stick me where you need me and I'll shoot the other round.
                  Saving the world one computer at a time...

or possibly destroying, I haven't figured that out yet.

Comment

RSO volunteer - Kyord

Kyord has volunteered to be an RSO. i have his contact info, and he's game for either shift.
                    - Trent Reznor

Comment

RSO volunteer - Quiet

Quiet is going to be with us at the Shoot again this year. And he'll RSO again, too. i have his contact info, and he's game for either shift. kickin. we just need one more person, it seems, to have a full compliment of RSOs. however, we can also accept secondaries... folk who will sign up at a reduced cost and be in reserve or otherwise just available, etc.

more news on that when i figure out how i want to run it. =)
                      - Trent Reznor

Comment

PM sent - I am available for RSO duty. Would prefer position #2 and happy to work a double if needed, I do some teaching and would rather do that than shoot - I can shoot anytime.

Comment

I was your First Aid tent last year (and luckily no one needed my services) but a conflict with work this summer means I will not be making DC19. I'm pretty bummed that I'll be missing the shoot. I'm already clearing my 2012 schedule so that I can participate. I'd be happy to RSO/Medic next year.

Stay safe guys and have a good time!

Comment

Originally posted by Boreal View Post
                            I was your First Aid tent last year (and luckily no one needed my services) but a conflict with work this summer means I will not be making DC19.
                            awe, we will miss you.

i should start a thread calling for volunteer medics, etc. just folk who will be on site and willing to wear a clear designated hat or something so staff can find them if an emergency arises.
                            - Trent Reznor

Comment

Last year one big problem I think we RSO's had was calling a cease-fire with all the firearms going off.

Also it was even harder to know when a case fire was called between the shooting lanes as that hill makes it hard to see what the 1st row of lanes is doing.

(I did hear some mutterings about comm gear, but how well does it work with 155db blasting in both ears?)

May I suggest an air horn or 3? Where we could only blow it to call a cease fire during scheduled target check times, or in-case of a "real" emergency.

Comment

Working...
                              X